Proverbs 7 Warning Against the Adulterous Woman. My application.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
7 My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words.
6 At the window of my house
I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men,
a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.
10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
and with a brazen face she said:
14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.
15 So I came out to meet you;
I looked for you and have found you!
16 I have covered my bed
with colored linens from Egypt.
17 I have perfumed my bed
with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
he has gone on a long journey.
20 He took his purse filled with money
and will not be home till full moon.”
21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer[a] stepping into a noose[b]
23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.
24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
leading down to the chambers of death.

God has really grabbed me by the ear on this one and used it to help focus my walk with him. It's like I can't read it enough, comprehend it enough. Every time I read it I hear something new and useful.

The proverb starts with the instructions to "store up", "keep" and "guard" God's commands and teachings. To "bind them on my fingers" is to APPLY them to everything I touch. To "write them on the tablet of my heart" is to cherish them and pursue them in my every motive. "They will keep me from the adulterous woman" is simply an assurance that if I do this, they will keep me safe. In fact they are my only defense. The proverb makes this very clear.

But who is this woman? That's the pertinent question if I am to APPLY this. Reading it does nothing if I can't understand it and use it. It IS an instruction to me after all, and instructions inherently imply action on my part. The whole proverb strikes me as a parable, and I believe it is.

That said, this is how I've come to understand it. The woman represents any temptation. At their very core all temptations are lies. They are lies designed to entice us to abandon God's perfect design for our life by offering deviant paths to deviant desires.

(And this is gonna get deep for a minute, but I will try my best to keep it as simple as possible and as brief as possible. The heart of the issue is deviant desires, and I don't think I can understand the fix if I don't know the root problem. A deviant desire is best recognized by who it seeks to glorify. If it seeks to glorify God, it's not deviant. If it doesn't, it is. It's that simple. So in short, temptations are desires that have the effect of glorifying someone other than God. 99.99% of the time that person is ourselves or better yet, me).

So in the proverb temptation( the woman) is everywhere, "her feet never stay at home; now in the street, now in the squares, at every corner she lurks". She appeals to this young, simpleton. He's referred to as simple, because the desire to glorify God is not his primary desire. As a result he is utterly defenseless because of it.

All the other enticements:

She took hold of him and kissed him
16 I have covered my bed

are just details. The young, simpleton was a dead man walking from the start because of his cavalier attitude toward God, and just like me and anyone else, was only awaiting the temptation that would lead to his death. Apart from God self-destruction is not just assured, but guaranteed. It's only a matter of time/temptation. The proverb paints our portrait, like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life.

There will be some who will be tempted to see this as a commentary on OSAS. It's not. Not at all. Any person saved or not, who fails to or ceases to place God's glory first and foremost in their life are subject to this ending. That is beyond debate. It's something I try my best to be mindful of all day, every day.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
7 My son, keep my words
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words.
6 At the window of my house
I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men,
a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.
10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
16 I have covered my bed
22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer[a] stepping into a noose[b]
23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.
24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
leading down to the chambers of death.

God has really grabbed me by the ear on this one and used it to help focus my walk with him. It's like I can't read it enough, comprehend it enough. Every time I read it I hear something new and useful.

The proverb starts with the instructions to "store up", "keep" and "guard" God's commands and teachings. To "bind them on my fingers" is to APPLY them to everything I touch. To "write them on the tablet of my heart" is to cherish them and pursue them in my every motive. "They will keep me from the adulterous woman" is simply an assurance that if I do this, they will keep me safe. In fact they are my only defense. The proverb makes this very clear.

But who is this woman? That's the pertinent question if I am to APPLY this. Reading it does nothing if I can't understand it and use it. It IS an instruction to me after all, and instructions inherently imply action on my part. The whole proverb strikes me as a parable, and I believe it is.

That said, this is how I've come to understand it. The woman represents any temptation. At their very core all temptations are lies. They are lies designed to entice us to abandon God's perfect design for our life by offering deviant paths to deviant desires.

(And this is gonna get deep for a minute, but I will try my best to keep it as simple as possible and as brief as possible. The heart of the issue is deviant desires, and I don't think I can understand the fix if I don't know the root problem. A deviant desire is best recognized by who it seeks to glorify. If it seeks to glorify God, it's not deviant. If it doesn't, it is. It's that simple. So in short, temptations are desires that have the effect of glorifying someone other than God. 99.99% of the time that person is ourselves or better yet, me).

So in the proverb temptation( the woman) is everywhere, "her feet never stay at home; now in the street, now in the squares, at every corner she lurks". She appeals to this young, simpleton. He's referred to as simple, because the desire to glorify God is not his primary desire. As a result he is utterly defenseless because of it.

All the other enticements:

She took hold of him and kissed him
16 I have covered my bed

are just details. The young, simpleton was a dead man walking from the start because of his cavalier attitude toward God, and just like me and anyone else, was only awaiting the temptation that would lead to his death. Apart from God self-destruction is not just assured, but guaranteed. It's only a matter of time/temptation. The proverb paints our portrait, like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life.

There will be some who will be tempted to see this as a commentary on OSAS. It's not. Not at all. Any person saved or not, who fails to or ceases to place God's glory first and foremost in their life are subject to this ending. That is beyond debate. It's something I try my best to be mindful of all day, every day.

It is my opinion that this is beneficial to all who read and comprehend it.

A deviant desire is best recognized by who it seeks to glorify. If it seeks to glorify God, it's not deviant. If it doesn't, it is. It's that simple.

As you implied in your closing, this understanding is foundational to discipleship.

SemperFiDawg

As you implied in your closing, this understanding is foundational to discipleship.

Understanding IS foundational, but also continual remembrance is just as importance. I have a "forgetter" that is stuck in overdrive, and I have to continually remind myself of this truth throughout every day for the rest of my life.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Things we might like to ask God:

Why, when I was young, and knew nothing worth remembering, I could remember a phone number that I had called once a few months before, or the manufacturer's pattern number for a floor tile I had used a few years before, and now I can't remember the address of a Bible verse I read yesterday and more than 10 times before that?

Last edited:

Madman

Understanding IS foundational, but also continual remembrance is just as importance. I have a "forgetter" that is stuck in overdrive, and I have to continually remind myself of this truth throughout every day for the rest of my life.
Spot on! ^^^^^^

"7 My son, KEEP my words (but Lord how donI keep them?)

StriperAddict

Storing up commands may sound like a right way to walk, but then when we get old and our memory fades, then of what should we rely? Maybe of Whom??

I remember those younger days of my 'better' storage, thinking my youth and memory would save the day. How foolish.

Should a fellow know of the One who has raised him, and should that fellow know of the One who fills him, and by faith believes the Word from that One declaring the condition of his (new) heart ... perhaps this knowing is far greater than the memory struggle with laws, rules and commands? Might he, being filled with the Spirit of promise, and eyes on his Lord, then have joy in the fruit produced in that filling, that union, that never ending love? I know of a Man who lifts us with a yoke that is easy and a burden that is light!

Rom 7, MSG
"When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to “marry” a resurrection life and bear “offspring” of faith for God. "

Faith in the cross and resurrection (His and ours) is the help for a horrendous memory.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Storing up commands may sound like a right way to walk, but then when we get old and our memory fades, then of what should we rely? Maybe of Whom??

I remember those younger days of my 'better' storage, thinking my youth and memory would save the day. How foolish.

Should a fellow know of the One who has raised him, and should that fellow know of the One who fills him, and by faith believes the Word from that One declaring the condition of his (new) heart ... perhaps this knowing is far greater than the memory struggle with laws, rules and commands? Might he, being filled with the Spirit of promise, and eyes on his Lord, then have joy in the fruit produced in that filling, that union, that never ending love? I know of a Man who lifts us with a yoke that is easy and a burden that is light!

Rom 7, MSG
"When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to “marry” a resurrection life and bear “offspring” of faith for God. "

Faith in the cross and resurrection (His and ours) is the help for a horrendous memory.

My comment

I have a "forgetter" that is stuck in overdrive, and I have to continually remind myself of this truth throughout every day for the rest of my life.

was NOT true. Upon further reflection. It was inaccurate. Looking within and being honest with myself I should have stated the truth as it really is:

I have a " selfish desirer" that is stuck in overdrive, and I have to continually remind myself of this truth throughout every day for the rest of my life.

Note to self: See how easily I deceive myself and evade the truth. I just finished talking about deviant desires being the heart of the issue. One would think I would be able to not demonstrate it in the following thought, but no. I foisted a lie because my nature is not to be brutally honest with myself, hence I chose to portray my problem as a harmless "forgetter" instead of the dark truth of having "selfish desires". See how deep my self deceit runs?

It changes the entire trajectory of the following conversation and comments as they were based on MY lie. The TRUTH is I have "selfish desires". So it's not something so timid as a bad forgetter due to memory. I can't blame my disobedience on bad memory due to old age. I apologize for the deceit and the trains of thought to
which it lead.

Can we start over with the truth as I recognize it and see where it takes us?

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
My comment

was NOT true. Upon further reflection. It was inaccurate. Looking within and being honest with myself I should have stated the truth as it really is:

Note to self: See how easily I deceive myself and evade the truth. I just finished talking about deviant desires being the heart of the issue. One would think I would be able to not demonstrate it in the following thought, but no. I foisted a lie because my nature is not to be brutally honest with myself, hence I chose to portray my problem as a harmless "forgetter" instead of the dark truth of having "selfish desires". See how deep my self deceit runs?

It changes the entire trajectory of the following conversation and comments as they were based on MY lie. The TRUTH is I have "selfish desires". So it's not something so timid as a bad forgetter due to memory. I can't blame my disobedience on bad memory due to old age. I apologize for the deceit and the trains of thought to
which it lead.

That's one very scary place you're poking 'round in. It's no wonder that no one chooses that path, nor can sustain it, of their own volition.

Madman

Rom 7, MSG

Muscle memory my friend, muscle memory.
Precept upon precept, lesson upon upon lesson."

StriperAddict

The fact that we can recognize any lie and be appalled by it is still a barometer of indwelling life, which we cannot take credit for.

That was my main point, sorry if I came across another way. For clarity, I don't like my poor memory one bit but it won't ever put me at odds with His will in my life. Faith makes this journey much simpler than we do, often we start complicating it with legalistic expectations - most of which we put on ourselves. No, not to trust in our obedience, but humble trust in His.

Take the Proverbs 7 verses thru a wash of the new covenant, specifically, the new Life He died to place us in -- where by we live, move (fruit) and have our being. If some of my old favorite verses go missing in the memory of the address, that's ok. We have a Life within that continues to renew our thoughts to discard the guilt and shame of our old Adamic undoing.

You were not being evasive, and I hope I've not missed your meaning. You have truth (His Life) in your inward parts, and that's worth some big rejoicing. That's a subject we both deflect in self-humility, and hardly talk about in many church circles.

SemperFiDawg

That's one very scary place you're poking 'round in. It's no wonder that no one chooses that path, nor can sustain it, of their own volition.

Well you see how poorly I am at it.

SemperFiDawg

The fact that we can recognize any lie and be appalled by it is still a barometer of indwelling life, which we cannot take credit for.

That was my main point, sorry if I came across another way. For clarity, I don't like my poor memory one bit but it won't ever put me at odds with His will in my life. Faith makes this journey much simpler than we do, often we start complicating it with legalistic expectations - most of which we put on ourselves. No, not to trust in our obedience, but humble trust in His.

Take the Proverbs 7 verses thru a wash of the new covenant, specifically, the new Life He died to place us in -- where by we live, move (fruit) and have our being. If some of my old favorite verses go missing in the memory of the address, that's ok. We have a Life within that continues to renew our thoughts to discard the guilt and shame of our old Adamic undoing.

You were not being evasive, and I hope I've not missed your meaning. You have truth (His Life) in your inward parts, and that's worth some big rejoicing. That's a subject we both deflect in self-humility, and hardly talk about in many church circles.

It's just another "reminder" to me that without His love and mercy, I remain a dead man walking, bent on my own destruction.

SemperFiDawg

I think there's a marked difference in placing our faith in works to save us and placing our faith in works to keep us safe and on the right path. Obedience that leads to good works doesn't produce salvation, but it dang sure leads to peace and away from self destruction. You can be saved and still fall away and self-destruct from disobedience.

brian lancaster

I think there's a marked difference in placing our faith in works to save us and placing our faith in works to keep us safe and on the right path. Obedience that leads to good works doesn't produce salvation, but it dang sure leads to peace and away from self destruction. You can be saved and still fall away and self-destruct from disobedience.
amen brother well said

Israel

BANNED
My comment

which it lead.

The propensity of man to put his pinkie to the balance on "his" own side for favor (if I am being honest would I say slam his whole fist down upon it?) leaves only one remedy as it comes into view.

The need to see something else.

The unsettling of it which is recognized as selfishness, self favor, self indulgence or whatever form of self view that prompts it in and to self justification is a precious revelation, as unpleasant as it may seem. We begin to appreciate that upon this "thing" there is no communing in truth at all, with any...and particularly our maker.

It is impossible to see how falsely we have dealt with Him apart from also seeing in every matter of every instance we have always dealt falsely with one another. Wives, children, brothers, sisters, friends and enemies. The light of this revealing in Christ is quite sharp and without contradiction. But because it is of Christ it also comes with what begins to be seen as of inestimable value, mercy and grace.

To discover one has been "kept" to this moment of light, this revelation of not only dire wrongness that then produces most dire need of deliverance from it, should never be held of no regard or in contempt.

It too, holds a favorable working for gratitude that Christ would minister of God's eternal love of His own. In short terms had God's desire ever been to just "catch us off base" we recognize He has had more than ample opportunity. And could, if willing, turn it again at any moment. This must begin a work in us to "beholding the kindness and severity of God".

There is nothing one comes to see between the standing and falling...except Christ Himself. It (the experience of salvation) never gets past this. We can offer nothing of ourselves, not a life lived (to us in appearance) as "long in the Lord", of service, or anything we might consider of even sacrifice or diligence. "When thou shalt make His soul an offering for sin..." (a thing which is not "our soul", our self) "He shall see His seed...".

All, from freshest novice to most aged apostle or elder remain upon this ground. Another soul is given to us as satisfaction, and we may then begin to enjoy the blessing of discovering all the seeming whys to us, that this soul pleases God. We are given to see Christ by the revelation of the Holy Spirit of God...to begin to delight (with no less delight) than God the Father has in Him. And we begin to both experience and understand such marvelous working of the truth in the words "this is my beloved Son in whom my soul delights..." (With who I am well pleased).

Only there (or here) in Christ is such found. The delight of God. What is perhaps tempted to think or say "what then of me...?" must come to this seeming most unfairest "bargain" to ever see how unfairly he treats his own soul, and through it, all other souls.

Mercy so exceeds fairness that a man be given what is not his for the offering of satisfaction that his betrayal by worry of "where his soul may appear" is ordained to trouble him. And will till settlement. Any and all worry is doubt of Christ's success in salvation. And for as much as that need be provocation to settlement even there the love of God in Christ is more than sufficient. All the love of God for the weakness of us can only be seen in Christ. He never has any despising for the Son who plead with tears. Who is crucified in and through weakness in his full identification with us.

And we may find that same weakness in Him to identify with one another.