We aren't exactly searching for Jimmy Hoffa here....this is pathetic

oldfella1962

but not unexpected, especially here in Augusta. But the weak sauce excuse of "due to the passage of time..." doesn't cut it. :mad:
Playing fast & loose with the chain of custody of a human body is beyond the pale. This is why I have no desire to be buried at Arlington Cemetary.
They have already been busted for burying the wrong bodies in the wrong sites and putting the wrong markers on the sites and so on. And these are the mistakes they know about. :( This reminds me of when my mother died a couple of years ago. She was living in a "group home/senior care center" place in Idaho. I sent her a "Flowers dot com" Mother's Day gift as I usually do and also on her birthday. On or about Mother's Day the group home calls me and asks if I am the son of "first name, last name" and confirmed that I was. "Well, she passed away from a heart attack a couple of months ago." :( Maybe I'm nit-picky, but I asked them why I was just now finding out about this. Their excuse was that the woman who ran their facility got fired and took a bunch of records with her. :confused: They googled the address on the gift box and got my phone number. They said that because my mother never had a will made out (she didn't have two quarters to run together - no need for a will) they couldn't track any of her relatives down. :confused: I reminded them that there would be phone records (all calls go through the front desk) of the many calls I made to her, and even a call from that facility to me when she had a life-threatening health emergency a couple of years before her death. Again, they blamed the woman who got fired rather than their contingency procedures for things such as this. To this day I never got a death certificate even though the facility now - obviously - has my phone number and address - unless they dumped that information ten minutes after they called me. :mad:

gantt

i'll say it... someone probibly sold that little girls body, or kept it for themselves. these days nothing is really impossible to fathom

jicard3

Gotta be more to the story. The article makes it sound like they're digging around looking for a body that was stuck in the ground 1800's style.

DSGB

Remember seeing stories of other funeral homes neglecting their duties in order to save money.

ryanh487

i'll say it... someone probibly sold that little girls body, or kept it for themselves. these days nothing is really impossible to fathom

It's not the body, it's the casket. A lot of crooked funeral homes will wait until the family leaves and instead of burying the casket they lowered into the ground, they'll cremate and dispose of the body and re-sell the casket as new to the next family. 99.9% of people will never know there's nothing buried under their loved one's tombstone.

oldfella1962

I can't imagine anybody keeping a body for themselves. :sick: But you're right, stranger things have happened.

oldfella1962

It's not the body, it's the casket. A lot of crooked funeral homes will wait until the family leaves and instead of burying the casket they lowered into the ground, they'll cremate and dispose of the body and re-sell the casket as new to the next family. 99.9% of people will never know there's nothing buried under their loved one's tombstone.
I can see that! What are odds that any family will ever want to retrieve a loved one's body? On the outside chance somebody does, the funeral home/cemetery can play "button, button, who's got the button"?

About when I moved here from Germany a funeral home near Atlanta got busted for dumping dozens - maybe hundreds? - of bodies in the woods when their cremation equipment broke down. :mad:

earlthegoat2

Some of yall might remember this. Just a couple miles from the house. Crazy.

This is a few days long discussion at the funeral director schools. IIRC, the Tri State Crematory never actually even did anything illegal at that time. Now it would be though.

My wife is a funeral director and you guys are really only scratching the surface of the scandals, lack of ethics, and general negligence of many funeral home and cemetery operations. Its amazing they can even get them into the ground sometimes.

oldfella1962

Some of yall might remember this. Just a couple miles from the house. Crazy.
YES! Thank you. This was the case I was thinking of and posted about, that happened right about when I moved here. Apparently it was way, way worse than I remembered it being. :( I didn't know it affected this many people.
I know I would be one upset hombre if they were my departed family members.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That won’t be the only body missing

oldfella1962

That won’t be the only body missing
Cremation for me & my wife! No sense for my kids to spend money on a burial or even a funeral. We don't have a big family and we aren't important or popular people anyway. And if you donate a body to science or a medical school or something, the school pays the cremation costs if you want the ashes after the school - or research lab - is done with it. I think my wife's niece has my sister-in-law's ashes and my father-in-law's ashes too. My daughter has my mother-in-law's ashes. I have life insurance policies, but they are "term life" and we have to die by 70 years old - statistically that is unlikely to happen.

Latest posts