ford balljoint replacement?

bckwzlineman

according to a haynes manual on my 03 f-150 replacing the upper balljoints isnt really difficult other than they are not serviceable so the entire upper control arm must be replaced. however the lower joints are the same to replace but the lower control arms cost almost 9 times what the uppers do and the torsion bars must be removed to replace the lower arms. is this something i can do myself, has anyone ever done it? something is wearing out my new tires really quick and at 185k its gotta be somethin. whats the chances the uppers are bad but not the lowers, im guessing not much at all?

au7126

Original joint had no grease fitting so you are past due. Upper is no problem and you will replace upper arm assembly, Lower is pressed in and will need tool to press new joint in.

Napi

Since you are in Dublin, go talk to the guys at Lake's alignment in East Dublin. They do good work!

Oldstick

Have had good luck ordering suspension parts from RockAuto.com and very good pricing.

They normally stock Moog/TRW parts, which I think are the factory originals for Fords. Do not buy the cheap suspension parts (off Ebay for example) or you will be replacing them again in a few months.