1952 Ford 8N top lid trouble.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
So I'm getting a buddy's 1952 Ford 8N in working condition for him. I have the motor running great, rebuilt the hydraulic pump, and replace the piston in the top lid. While doing all this I noticed the lever to raise and lower the arms only moves about 1-2 inches in either direction. I figured once the hydraulics are running through it it would work fine. Well, that was not the case. You can raise the arm up as far as it will go, which is about 1-2 inches and it lifts up great, and will hold as long as you do not let go of the lever. You don't even have to pull on the lever, just not let it go back to its "home" position. There really isn't any movement in the downward position at all, and I think it's home position is actually what is letting it go down. Long story short, I'm very confident in the hydraulic system, but there is something wrong with the mechanics of the lever, from videos I've seen it should have a full range of travel in the guide bracket that it rides in. I'm at a loss here, looking at it with it removed and tipped over I can not figure out what it's not doing.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Wow, nothing?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I had a '39 9N and it had full travel in the guide slot.
There were adjustable stops on the guide you could set to common used positions.
Sounds like it's internal.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
There is a fellar near Hartwell that rebuilds/sells 8N's as a hobby. I would think he would know.
I can point you in his direction if interested.

basstrkr

I have a 1949 *N and the control lever moves about 10 to 12 inches. Others that I drove was the same. I think some had "draft control" and others didn't which could play into the problem. Sorry I can't help more. If it gets where it won't crank I have lots of info.

Latest posts