Time to end the SECCG.

weagle

The SECCG has been a huge success from it's very first game but yesterday's game should be the last. With the expanded playoff coming and the SEC doing away with the East / West divisions, the champion should be the winner of the regular season schedule, just like in years past.

My reasoning:

Probably 3 or 4 SEC teams every year will make the 12 team playoff. The 3rd and 4th ranked teams in the SEC will get a week off while the top 2 beat each other up.

There will be an incentive to hold players out of the SECCG to let them heal up for the 12 team playoff. For instance I doubt Bowers or McConky would have played yesterday. They would have taken an extra couple of weeks to fully heal up.

The season is going to be pretty long for the teams that make the playoff and the SECCG is a game that doesn't need to be played.

The 2 teams in the SECCG would most likely face a rematch very quickly in the 12 team playoff and it would very likely be their 3rd meeting of the year.

It's been a good run.

ldavid008

I think they will, for decades the issue with going to a playoff system was the number of games Student-athletes were being asked to play. AD's did not want to add more games that cut into classroom time.

The AD's have gradually softened (most likely due to $$$) and more games are now played in season and the added round of a 4 team playoff.

I believe they'll do away with the conference championship game just for that reason. An added bonus will be lowering the chance of injury and the resting of players. It won't be a huge difference as all the conferences will be doing the same.

buckpasser

Could just cut a crap game or two of the regular season.

ldavid008

Could just cut a crap game or two of the regular season.
They're likely to do that too. The problem there is that a lot of schools sign up for those beat downs for the money they need to fund not only their football programs. But all the sports programs too.

Cutting off that revenue stream will destroy collegiate athletics for thousands of kids who not only dream of playing college ball but without it would not be able to go to college.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Conference Champions (6) make up half of the slotted teams of 12 in the new format.
20231203_213407.jpg

weagle

Not going to happen, follow the $$$$$, the SEC just signed a contract to keep the SEC championship game at the Benz until 2031.
Contracts are made to be broken, but assuming they keep the game going the best place to finish in the SEC regular season will be 3rd. Not having to play in the SECCG makes up for the bye week that the champion will get plus your first round opponent will be easier than the top 2 SEC teams.

Will make for some interesting game decisions late in the season.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Y'all are worrying about nothing. Once NFL Lite kicks off in a year or two, since the current model is unsustainable (see here https://forum.gon.com/threads/prophetic-nil-ending-predicted.1046624/ ), it will end anyway. Also @weagle , how do you propose choosing a Conference Champion when multiple teams have identical Conference records as UGA and Ala did yesterday? And with 16 teams now it's possible 3 or 4 tie and never play one another to get there.

weagle

Y'all are worrying about nothing. Once NFL Lite kicks off in a year or two, since the current model is unsustainable (see here https://forum.gon.com/threads/prophetic-nil-ending-predicted.1046624/ ), it will end anyway. Also @weagle , how do you propose choosing a Conference Champion when multiple teams have identical Conference records as UGA and Ala did yesterday? And with 16 teams now it's possible 3 or 4 tie and never play one another to get there.
As I predicted the (formerly) current model was unsustainable and the players are now getting paid along with conf expansion.

With 16 teams you might end up with a 2 way tie, but since they are trying to make sure the the top teams play each other it's most likely there will be a head to head tie breaker (just like the old days). If not, there will just be co-champs.

The reason I mentioned "contracts are made to be broken" is because the business structure of the SEC will change over the next 2 years (I'm not guessing) and the new NFL-ish league will sign new contracts. I predict the current 12 team playoff format will only survive 2 or three years while the new organization takes shape.

If the dollars favor keeping the SECCG game then the SEC will keep it, but the glory days ended yesterday and and it's going to be a weird dynamic where it is often in a team's best interest to come in 3rd in the conference.

Feel free to book mark this one.

ddgarcia

As I predicted the (formerly) current model was unsustainable and the players are now getting paid along with conf expansion.

With 16 teams you might end up with a 2 way tie, but since they are trying to make sure the the top teams play each other it's most likely there will be a head to head tie breaker (just like the old days). If not, there will just be co-champs.

The reason I mentioned "contracts are made to be broken" is because the business structure of the SEC will change over the next 2 years (I'm not guessing) and the new NFL-ish league will sign new contracts. I predict the current 12 team playoff format will only survive 2 or three years while the new organization takes shape.

If the dollars favor keeping the SECCG game then the SEC will keep it, but the glory days ended yesterday and and it's going to be a weird dynamic where it is often in a team's best interest to come in 3rd in the conference.

Feel free to book mark this one.
You just don't get it. Read the linked article. College football as we currently know it is ending. NFL Lite is coming, and they will be college teams in name only. As it stands, the current model and Title IX CAN NOT coexist. At least not in the top levels of football and basketball. In the "Olympic" sports, sure, maybe, but certainly not in the "revenue" sports.

weagle

You just don't get it. Read the linked article. College football as we currently know it is ending. NFL Lite is coming, and they will be college teams in name only. As it stands, the current model and Title IX CAN NOT coexist. At least not in the top levels of football and basketball. In the "Olympic" sports, sure, maybe, but certainly not in the "revenue" sports.
I don't think that you understand that we are in agreement.

The pretext that big time college football is an amateur sport is done. The product may be packaged the same going forward "Georgia Bulldogs" but the organization behind it will be a professional league. Then universities will get their revenue from the license fee for the name (which will be huge bucks) to support the non revenue sports that remain in the NCAA system ie: women's sports and non revenue men's sports.

The reason for separating the Football team from the university proper is to eliminate the title IX issues.

The product the fans see on Saturday will mostly look the same other than the expansion of the glitz and hype which is happening anyway. The hardcore, "I'm walking away if they go pro" fans have already proven that they aren't going anywhere as long as the product is good.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Next year do the 5-12 playoff games become bowl games?

And under this plan if it had happened this year after the first round 4 Bama would most likely be matched up with #5 GA in the second round.

weagle

Good article. I think you would see some manipulation of the rankings to get early round match-ups that they want.
Next year do the 5-12 playoff games become bowl games?

And under this plan if it had happened this year after the first round 4 Bama would most likely be matched up with #5 GA in the second round.
The bowl games are going to want the best match-ups to get the most viewers, so I think we'll see the ranking manipulated some to get the seeding that they want.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Good article. I think you would see some manipulation of the rankings to get early round match-ups that they want.

The bowl games are going to want the best match-ups to get the most viewers, so I think we'll see the ranking manipulated some to get the seeding that they want.
So you think the Bowl Selection committee is in cahoots with the College Playoff and Rankings?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So you think the Bowl Selection committee is in cahoots with the College Playoff and Rankings?
Think of it as a consolidation of interests revolving around money with pre-selected gladiators.

Or as was said in Rome so long ago- “Bread and circuses”.

ddgarcia

I don't think that you understand that we are in agreement.

The pretext that big time college football is an amateur sport is done. The product may be packaged the same going forward "Georgia Bulldogs" but the organization behind it will be a professional league. Then universities will get their revenue from the license fee for the name (which will be huge bucks) to support the non revenue sports that remain in the NCAA system ie: women's sports and non revenue men's sports.

The reason for separating the Football team from the university proper is to eliminate the title IX issues.

The product the fans see on Saturday will mostly look the same other than the expansion of the glitz and hype which is happening anyway. The hardcore, "I'm walking away if they go pro" fans have already proven that they aren't going anywhere as long as the product is good.
Ok, it appears we are in agreement about how it goes forward. Apparently where we differ, is I believe CFB takes a major hit once that happens and you don't. Many fans like myself support it BECAUSE of the school affiliation/"amatuer" aspect of it. If we wanted NFL we'd watch/support the NFL. NFL Lite has been tried MANY times in the past, and all of the have failed. This model may be, and in some aspect will be different from those previous models, but many of still will not support it nor will many of the big money SCHOOL boosters.

Then there will be the "downstream" effect of cutting off that revenue that supports SOOOO many other things/sports at thise institutions, and in FACT ALL colleges, as the BIG MONEY "payday" games go away.

It's already happening. If this year were next, post conference "realignment" and CFP expansion, 2 conferences lock up 10 of 12 spots(and only 10 and not 11 thanks to the token/pity G5 inclusion). When it does happen these team will NOTHING but minimal lip service to the institutions whose names they "represent" and will share no more revenue than ABSOLUTELY necessary with said institutions let alone all the rest throughout the country that depend upon it.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
They're one in the same!

The NCAA has sold it's rights to naming a College football Champion to the CFP process...it's an agreement that has a reported media rights value of 2 Billion dollars! You think there's any incentive to protect that with "pretty boy" picks and rankings.
On a side note, I've enjoyed seeing @elfiii thoughts on this mess. 100% agreement.