Who gets in if this plays out

Madsnooker

This was posted on another site but it seems some sort of this scenario could play out. I know alot will change but it would be a nightmare scenario gor a 4 team playoff. This year more the I can ever remember would have been the perfect year to start the 12 team playoff. Alot of these teams could beat any other teams on this list any given Day.

• 12-1 Georgia (Loss in SECCG)
• 11-1 OSU loss to PSU
• 11-1 Michigan loss to OSU
• 11-1 PSU loss to UM
(B10 tiebreaker controversy)
• 12-1 Alabama (SEC Champ)
• 12-1 Texas (B12 Champ)
• 12-1 Oklahoma loss to Texas
• 12-1 Oregon (PAC-12 Champ)
• 12-1 Washington
• 12-1 UNC loss to Clemson (ACC Champ)
• 12-1 FSU loss to UNC

Yes this is or some variation is somehow very much possible, who gets in?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Seriously. I don’t see FSU losing. That’s one. I’m not so sure the bucks or Penn state will beat ttun. There’s 2. One will come from the sec. 3. It will come down to who the committee thinks is better. A pac12 champ or a big12 champ for the 4th spot. There’s a lot of good teams this year.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
This was posted on another site but it seems some sort of this scenario could play out. I know alot will change but it would be a nightmare scenario gor a 4 team playoff. This year more the I can ever remember would have been the perfect year to start the 12 team playoff. Alot of these teams could beat any other teams on this list any given Day.

• 11-1 OSU loss to PSU
• 11-1 PSU loss to UM
• 12-1 Texas (B12 Champ)
• 12-1 Washington
• 12-1 FSU loss to UNC

Well first of all your scenario is impossible unless the B1G has stopped playing a Championship Game(maybe, it is the B1G after all where only 6 games gets you in ::ke:).Also BOTH FSU and UNC CAN'T be 12-1 if Clemson ascends to the ACCCG, FSU would at best be 11-1 in your scenario.

Assuming they do still play a CG, and the winner is NOT the West rep, making one of the three East 11-1's, 11-2,(that team would automatically be out), it would look like this. Alabama as the SEC Champions who just beat the #1 team, Texas as the B12 Champions having avenged their earlier loss, Oregon as the Pac Champions same as Texas, then it would be a toss up most likely between UGA as defending Champions (they'd get the benefit of the doubt, same as Alabama has in years past on past performance like it or not IMHO) , and the B1G Champion ASSUMING that team is one of the three you have listed. IF that team were to lose to the West rep, then 12-1 UNC, whatever B1G 11-1 beat the other that didn't play in the CG, or 11-1 FSU would fill the 4th spot.

ajsmms25

Well first of all your scenario is impossible unless the B1G has stopped playing a Championship Game(maybe, it is the B1G after all where only 6 games gets you in ::ke:).Also BOTH FSU and UNC CAN'T be 12-1 if Clemson ascends to the ACCCG, FSU would at best be 11-1 in your scenario.

Assuming they do still play a CG, and the winner is NOT the West rep, making one of the three East 11-1's, 11-2,(that team would automatically be out), it would look like this. Alabama as the SEC Champions who just beat the #1 team, Texas as the B12 Champions having avenged their earlier loss, Oregon as the Pac Champions same as Texas, then it would be a toss up most likely between UGA as defending Champions (they'd get the benefit of the doubt, same as Alabama has in years past on past performance like it or not IMHO) , and the B1G Champion ASSUMING that team is one of the three you have listed. IF that team were to lose to the West rep, then 12-1 UNC, whatever B1G 11-1 beat the other that didn't play in the CG, or 11-1 FSU would fill the 4th spot.
The list is a bit confusing but it is not saying it's not saying Clemson ascends to the ACCCG. It is saying UNC loses to Clemson in regular season but still goes to and wins the ACCCG against FSU who is undefeated going in to the ACCCG.

Madsnooker

The list is a bit confusing but it is not saying it's not saying Clemson ascends to the ACCCG. It is saying UNC loses to Clemson in regular season but still goes to and wins the ACCCG against FSU who is undefeated going in to the ACCCG.
That is correct.

The list isn't confusing it's just confusing if that played out. It wasn't my list as ddgarcia implied its a list discused on another site. I just wanted to discuss here. The reason the list didn't account for the BIGCC is the discussion was, who should go out of the 3 as they all lost to one of the other 2. You would have to start doing some statistical gymnastics to pick which one played the west champoin. Then no mater how that played out you would still have 2 teams at 11-1 which the committee could still determine were 2 of the top 4? The chances it would all play out like this is not high but certainly not out of the question.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
That is correct.

The list isn't confusing it's just confusing if that played out. It wasn't my list as ddgarcia implied its a list discused on another site. I just wanted to discuss here. The reason the list didn't account for the BIGCC is the discussion was, who should go out of the 3 as they all lost to one of the other 2. You would have to start doing some statistical gymnastics to pick which one played the west champoin. Then no mater how that played out you would still have 2 teams at 11-1 which the committee could still determine were 2 of the top 4? The chances it would all play out like this is not high but certainly not out of the question.
Ok, I see it now after looking at schedules. In that case OSU (B1G darlings that they are) would got to the CG and assuming they won would be in as well as Alabama, UNC and Texas. IF they lost the CG, it would be Alabama, UNC, Texas and most likely Oregon in the playoff with UGA, FSU and UW being 1st 3 left out.

The way snook posted, didn't mean to imply it was your scenario snook but you were the OP, you asked who went to the Playoff, not about the B1GCG, and the way posted I took it as Clemson was the ACC Champion having beaten UNC in the ACCCG.

Resica

• 11-1 OSU loss to PSU
• 11-1 PSU loss to UM
• 12-1 Texas (B12 Champ)
• 12-1 Washington
• 12-1 FSU loss to UNC

Hard to say.facepalm:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Too many games left to play to make a serious choice. As a UGA fan I would like to see them make it but I don’t see the want in them this year.
1. Michigan
2. Alabama
3. Washington
4. ACC champions

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Where does Ohio State end up if they lose to PSU and Michigan ?

Hoss

So Iowa is 6-1 and has a fair shot at winning out in the BIG West. Now if they win BIG championship (not really likely, but heck strange things happen) do they get in with the WORST offense in football? Now wouldn’t that be a kick. Just so you know, I think the possibility of this happen is about as likely as that hot place freezing over.