Braves 2024 Season Thread

biggdogg

A "Maddux" is now an official term for a complete game shutout under 100 pitches. Had it not been for an error by Riley in the 8th, Fried would have been under 90 pitches.

On another note. If AA has any designs on extending Ozuna, he needs to get a move on. His price just keeps going up with each passing week. Never thought I'd say that a year ago...

Last edited:

Shadow11

Good start. Ozuna still the current best hitter in mlb baseball this year. Olson still the best 1st baseman in the league. Look at that stretch.... 10 yards! Some guy doing his nails in background.

Oh wow, Sanchez just killed one for the fish. Still, blowout for braves. Eyes looked good in 1st.Screenshot_2024-04-24-19-42-32.png

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Well, he is Ozuna from the Braves. :rofl:

I have become a big fan of his. He is human.

biggdogg

I keep wondering what this team could look like when they get Ozzie and Murphy back, and Olsen and Riley finally heat up.
Ozzie should be back for the weekend series. Murphy has been catching bullpens but as of yet has not been cleared to swing a bat. Of course the way d'Arnaud is hitting, there's no reason to rush him back. I really don't think Olson or Riley is too far off from breaking out, Olson in particular has had some solid contact the last couple games.

DannyW

Braves won today, 4-3 in 10 innings. Bryce Elder struggled all day with terrible control, he must have thrown 5-6 pitches that only traveled about 55 feet. But he went 5 innings and only allowed 2 runs.

Some may disagree with me, but I thought this was one of his better starts. Why? He battled with his control and allowed 9 baserunners, this game could have gotten ugly early, but he kept his cool and held the best team in the American League only 2 runs. He never lost his composure.

Acuna, however, made a boneheaded move. He was the "designated runner" at 2nd base in the 10th. His run would win the game. So what does he do? He lollygags in the dugout, then half trots to 2nd base, and doesn't get there until after the pitch clock had started.

Result? Albies was the first hitter up and he started his at bat with an 0-1 count because Acuna delayed the game. Turns out, with the way Albies at bat played out, it made no difference but geez.

I found this to be an odd stat...

- Ozuna has 9 HRs and 31 RBIs.
- Mike Trout has 10 HRs but only 13 RBIs.

Nobody is getting on base for Trout to drive in. Seven of his ten HR's have been solos, the other 3 were 2-run shots.

Yet he insists he will only play for the Halos? :huh:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Acuna, however, made a boneheaded move. He was the "designated runner" at 2nd base in the 10th. His run would win the game. So what does he do? He lollygags in the dugout, then half trots to 2nd base, and doesn't get there until after the pitch clock had started.

He did the same thing last week, but I don't think the clock got him. It appeared like he couldn't find his helmet, but it was a terrible look, regardless.

biggdogg

Fried went 6 and gave up zero hits. Iglesias got the night off after pitching the last two. And good ol' Minter, pitching the 9th with a 1 run lead, coughs up a 2 run, walk off bomb. Minter has proven himself as an elite set-up guy. But he has also proven himself a lousy closer. Should have flipped Minter and Johnson and let Johnson close it out.

Shadow11

Ugly bullpen woes again. Ozuna in a 2 day "not on base streak". He can't win em all. Somebody else needs to get a hitting streak going. Very poor at bats. A lot of swinging at pitches in the dirt the last few games by everyone! Just ugly!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Acuna is in a bad head space. He already has more multi-strike out games than he had all of last season. He needs to focus on contact instead of trying to mash every ball right now.

DannyW

The lack of power right now is frustrating. After AVERAGING 1.9 HRs per game last year, the Braves have played 7 straight games without hitting even one. As a team, the Braves are 20th of 30 in longballs.

Michael Harris, Abies, Acuna, Olson, Arcia and Riley have a total of 13 HRs through the first 29 games. If not for Ozuna and d'Arnaud, with 13 HRs between them, the Braves would be dead last in MLB.

Their swings seem tight and I have seen too many balls hit the wall or get caught on the warning track. I know from experience that when you tighten your grip, whether it be on a bat or a golf club, you lose distance.

The good news is they are still winning, and this power slump has to end sometime.

Duff

The power slump is pretty baffling. I know this, they are swinging at a bunch of bad pitches. More so than usual.