Mike Ivie has passed

DannyW

For those who don't know, Mike Ivie was from Atlanta and was the #1 overall pick in the 1970 MLB draft. He played catcher and 1B. His career was relatively short, in part because of a nasty cut on his hand, rumored to have been self-inflected while field dressing a deer in the off season.

I met Mike at an old archery shop called, I believe , American Archery in Lilburn. Mike used to hang out there. I worked about 2 miles away and would go there at lunch to shoot my bow. We would start out talking baseball and end up talking bowhunting. Nice guy.

He told me a little known fact about his baseball career. At the time, this was the early 90's, he held the MLB record for consecutive doubles. In 5 consecutive AB's over two games, he hit a double each time. Not sure if that is still the record, probably not.

RIP Mike.

Hawken2222

I remember Mike Ivie, I still have a few of his old baseball cards. Sorry to hear of his passing. i hope things are peaceful for him.

Hawken2222

After reading this last night iI went back and looked through some of my older cards. i came across this card and thought i would post it up

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 11

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
For those who don't know, Mike Ivie was from Atlanta and was the #1 overall pick in the 1970 MLB draft. He played catcher and 1B. His career was relatively short, in part because of a nasty cut on his hand, rumored to have been self-inflected while field dressing a deer in the off season.

I met Mike at an old archery shop called, I believe , American Archery in Lilburn. Mike used to hang out there. I worked about 2 miles away and would go there at lunch to shoot my bow. We would start out talking baseball and end up talking bowhunting. Nice guy.

He told me a little known fact about his baseball career. At the time, this was the early 90's, he held the MLB record for consecutive doubles. In 5 consecutive AB's over two games, he hit a double each time. Not sure if that is still the record, probably not.

RIP Mike.
Rest in Peace