washer timer or lid switch repair.

Y

yourkiddin

so heres the run down of the problem. The washer goes through the cycle while washing. seems ok and the timer turns. but when it reaches the rinse and spin cycle it just continues to aggitate. it should be rinsing and spinning water out. when it gets to the off position, it continues to agitate past the off position then it goes through the extra rinse. then when it gets to the off position it will stop off.
problem is when you open the lid,its still full of water. now here is the kicker. ive timed it from the beginning to the rinse and spin, its 15 minutes. at that time if i open the lid it will go into rinse and spin cycle. and it stops when finished. so question is, timer or lid switch?

Last edited:

cowhornedspike

Timer would be my guess. Sounds like lid switch is working properly based on what you said.

Y

yourkiddin

Can u give me just a little direction on how to do that. Im at work right now. But last night i pulled the wires off the Lid switch . But dont remember what it looked like. Do i need to run a wire from switch harness to something else. Or do the jumping within harness itself

Y

yourkiddin

Ok i just thought about it. I guess i need to make it thinks the lid is open.

harryrichdawg

Go to repairclinic.com and type in your problem. Let it diagnose it for you. It will also tell you how difficult the repair is. I've repaired several appliances with help from them.

bamaboy

Very rarely do timers go out. Not saying they don't go bad but they normally last a while. Jump out the lid switch and let us know.

Artfuldodger

You just jumper the two wires on the switch together. I did this about four years ago while I'm waiting to order a new one. I would try that first but yours sounds like the timer. The mystery is why opening the lid switch would do anything but temporarily interupt whatever cycle it's in. I don't see how the lid switch can affect a perfectly good timer.

Reel Big-uns

Sounds like you may have a relay switch stuck in the closed position and when you open the lid, it breaks the circuit, allowing the closed relay to disengage and open up allowing the system to continue on in it's normal cycles.

Y

yourkiddin

replaced the lid switch. it was only 22 dollars. i wasted my money. but now i know whats not the culprit. lol Another 8 bucks and i could of had a season boat ramp pass. this thing has me so stumped. i was sure it was lid switch. when it gets to that cycle. i open the lid and it starts spinning. not sure what contact i may be interupting.

Bilge Rat LT 20

Does the water pump out at all?
If the drain pump goes out the water in the drum won't let it go into the spin cycle.
The pump motor may be out or the impeller in the pump is stuck worn or clogged.

Artfuldodger

If it's a top loader just get rid of it. Your wife wants a new front loader anyway.
Before anyone says anything, no I don't know his wife, I just know wives.

Y

yourkiddin

u know i considered buying new. the set is 13 years old. but with the econony and my income not what it was 3 years ago. i didnt want to put this big of a purchase on my home depot card. i had just replaced the motor for 85 dollars off ebay. and actually we had been putting up with the spin cycle problem for about a year. but once i replaced the motor, i got motivated to fix this issue also.

but on the subject of these new fangled washers. i havent met anyone yet thats happy with them.

Reel Big-uns

but on the subject of these new fangled washers. i havent met anyone yet thats happy with them.

If you buy new, be careful and don't buy one that has the water pump mounted right over the motor, in a vertical position to each other.
Guess what the water drips down on, if the water pump starts leaking.

FYI, We have a Whirlpool and well pleased with it.
Whirlpool is made by Matag and the pump and motor are mounted horizontal just like the Matag brand.

I asked the appliance store owner/manager, regardless to price, which brand does he sell that has the least repair calls for, in and/or out of warranty.

He said Matag but, he said whirlpool was just as equal and cheaper by price only because of name and not quality.

He was neutral as far as repair work because, he out sources warranty work to brand name approved repairmen that he has no affiliation with and he doesn't do any repair work at all, out of his store.

Dbender

washer repair

Try using your washer on a different cycle. If you have been using only the heavy duty cycle for 13 years could be that portion of timer is worn.