Need Facebook Advice

crackerdave

I want to start a small business,and was told Facebook is the way to advertise,but I don't have a clue about how to go about it.

Anybody know?

double b

I used Facebook for my business. I started a Facebook page to promote it, post pictures of projects, post comments, etc. I invited all of my friends, family, customers, etc. to "like" my page. I would post before and after pics of projects and ask the customers who liked my page to comment on them. That worked ok, it was free and a lot easier to upload pics than updating my website. I also created a Facebook ad for my company. I could go through the process and select a target group by things such as age, hobbies, etc, and how much I wanted to spend total. I could see how often my ad was seen, any new likes, and other info. It was interesting, but I also think some people are addicted to Liking whatever they see on there. In both cases, over a 2 year period, I did not get any new business from Facebook advertising. I recommend having a page, because it is easy and free, but save your money on the ads. I would also recommend a good website.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I wouldn't. I don't see the value, especially if it is a local business.

Mako22

BANNED
South Georgia Outdoors in Cairo has a FB page and they advertise sales and other specials on there all the time. They do contest, raffles and such on there as well, it seems to be working for them.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
We have a page for our cake business. It has worked very well in promoting our product. We've even had a lady from Canada call us. I would say it is great for a product based business, but if you can only work locally it may not be worth the time.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
My son worked for a company called Bizwire that teaches companies how to use social media to advertise. I think the initial setup & training is $500, and then there is a monthly subscription if you want them to do all the "leg work" for you, otherwise, no further commitment.

https://www.facebook.com/Bizwire?fref=ts

Hornet22

ROMEO
Dave, Dave, Dave. Me and you have been on the same boat bout FB for a long time. You know FB is of da debil.:shoot: But good fortune with your endeavor.

:cheers:

Oldstick

Not much of a fan of facebook, especially for advertising. It's kind of like expecting TV watchers to skip over the regular programs and search out commercials to view.

But I suppose it's free and some folks will go there if they hear about some discount coupons available or to enter a prize drawing or something like that.

Casey81

I would not use it to advertise. The shop I work for did and I got more negative feedback from customers about it than I expected. They all preferred actual advertising. I jumped off the facebook train and deleted my account here recently. One of the best things I have ever done.

Oldstick

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, any exposure you can get is good, especially for free. But certainly no magic beanstalk for success.

When I see a business on facebook and there are say several dozen posters with positive comments, that still does not sway me much because I assume most of them are friends/family, fellow church members etc trying to help out, which is fine.

But the natural tendency is to still take that with a grain of salt just like any other advertising. In other words Facebook I see as just another advertisement to be ignored whereas when I go to the business' actual website, I feel like I am at the store and what I am seeing is the real deal.

Now, if someone I trust very well puts in a good first hand word of mouth, that I listen too.

Teufelshund

I was a small biz owner for several years before social media was even a concept. Here are some essentials to ponder before sinking time or money (they're both like cash you know) into advertising:
Who are your customers?
If you were a customer how would you go about getting your product or service.
Think about what steps your customer will go to get this product.

Most people seek referrals, so word of mouth is a way to generate leads.
Get some free business cards and pass then around.
If you put a contact phone number, always answer it, when you get big enough and busy enough then let the VM work for you.
If you are selling a service (let me use home pressure washing or landscaping for example) and your customer is thrilled with the results, ask him or her if she knows of someone who can use the same quality service. If you finished the job early, walk over to the house next door or accross the street and politely offer them a free estimate (They can judge for themselves the quality of your work right away).

I could go on and on but I'd rather recommend this little book:

"Guerrilla Marketing" by Jay Conrad Levinson
ISBN 0-395-90625-3

Best of luck on your business!

crackerdave

Thanks for all the good advice to all. My gut tells me to stay away from the "Facebook debbil!"

My business will be kayaks - renting them out most of the time,and doing package trips/tours using contacts I have already,and good ol' word-of-mouth.

coltday

Find a young guy who would enjoy free kayaking, give him an amount of "free" time in a yak trading out for helping you learn Facebook. Our small business has really been helped by our Facebook page. It started out by me suggesting it to my personal friends and family and has grown from there. We are in the ornamental concrete business and do a great deal of big fountains and such. Having the pictures, with the clients comments on them really help us sell our product. Younger people will be attracted to your business and more than likely will be on Facebook. You have to meet your market where they are at no matter what. Just watch AMC for awhile, every commercial is LifeAlert, mobile scooters and medicine commercials because their target audience watches AMC. Our small business doesn't have a large marketing budget, and I know for a fact our Facebook pages has brought in a great deal of new customers.

Woodsong

I run a facebook page for one of my companies. We have over 650 people on that page which is not a lot by FB standards but not bad. FB is a great, great way to reach out and touch the public and communicate directly with your customers. If you are renting kayaks and tours a FB page would be a great fit for you so that you can announcing upcoming trips, post pictures, both mobile while 'yaking, as well as photos of tours you offer, etc. It is a great way to interactively communicate with your clients and entice them with wanting to come see the great times you offer on your yaks. Many shoppers check facebook before they check your company website. Nothing worse than a business FB page with no likes and no interaction though...it will make you look like you are talking to yourself at the school dance while you stand in the corner so be sure to post content that will encourage interaction and participation...pictures and updates are a great way to do that and I can do that a lot more with our business FB page than our company website. :)

crackerdave

Looks like about 50/50 for and against.

Thanks to all for the input, links, and well-wishes. I see a kayak adventure in your future! :D

contender*

Facebook would be good local FREE advertisement. I have a page for our interior shutter co. We have gotten a few local customers but not many, our shutters are a slightly harder sell than a fishing/kayak trip. IMO you should do it, what would it hurt?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I have a friend who owns a restaurant in town. He and his wife have a personal facebook page that they chat on frequently. In their chats they often mention nightly specials, etc.
It seems to have helped in the quick increase of patrons for them, but I don't know it that compares to a water sport business.

No matter what, good luck to you.

Oldstick

I have to admit there is a lot of truth in what several posters mentioned above about reaching a younger audience. Any comments I provided above are coming from a 55 year old with considerable computer experience, but still not overly crazy about every new idea that comes out. I have seen so many fads come and fizzle out.

However, I have a large number of well educated and well paid 20/30 something co-workers. I can tell you it is true they get almost everything over the net in some form. If I mention some funny local TV ad that has been on for years, they have never once seen (or noticed) it. They have probably never read a newspaper once in their lives.

They get everything, news, TV/movies, product info, etc. from those infernal devices in their hand that they stare at 24/7. So yes, if it's free, figure out some way to take advantage of it. The key nowadays is to be aware of the IT product changes that are being marketed every 6 months and be ready to adapt.

Last edited: