What is this?

DCHunter

My boys found this in the woods next to an old horse trail. It's about 4' diamter. I'm pretty sure its the rim off an old buggy wheel. Do any of ya'll know for sure? Notice the "washers" and bolts. When were those invented? I was wondering how old it was. I'm about a mile from the old town of Campbellton so there were people in the area as early as around the 1830's. I'm guessing in was later than that though. Just wondering if any of you older fellers remember.:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 542
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 543
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 564

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you are right. metal band from a wagon wheel. The bolts makes sense as they would fit thru the wood portion of the wheel.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I believe you are right. metal band from a wagon wheel. The bolts makes sense as they would fit thru the wood portion of the wheel.

That what it looks like to me.

Iron rimmed wheels were used on Roman Chariots.

No expert but I believe wood spoke wheels had the rims sweated on, not bolted.
The bolt might contain the secret to the age of the rim.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep, believe Robert and Jim pegged it.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
hang it from a tree branch, and you've got a great 'dinner bell'.

the local blacksmith would weld the rim together, then heat it to cinch around the wood wheel. when it was tight, they'd drench the rim with cold water, to make it contract, tightly, on the wheel.

as the wheel wood shrank, the rim would loosen. the old timers used to keep the wagon in the stream over night. the wood would swell, in the water, so next day, it was good as new.

as the day wore on, the wood would dry out, and the wheel would get loose again. back to the creek. then, home for lunch, and a nap. 'sorry, momma. the wagon broke again.' lol

Buck111

A lot of those were made of wrought iron. It makes nice knife fittings.

Anvil Head

Yepper. I'm with Buck, use a lot of WI for my knife fittings. When etched it compliments damascus. They used a lot of scrap wrought iron to make the rims by forge welding the scraps together, so made pretty much the same way. Did a big SW Bowie with a large "S" guard that had a square cut nail in the top curve (never should have sold that one!). I really like to use WI.
This end cap or pommel is WI. You can see the welded layering.

Attachments

• End Cap1.JPG
    End Cap1.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 334

Latest posts