water culvert?

ucfireman

I have culvert that runs under my driveway, I guess its about 24-30 inches or so.
I know its in the county right of way and is a storm water drain that drains all the water to the creek, about a mile or 1.5 mile of road.
I have noticed a sink hole next to the drive way in line with the culvert but not reaching to the culvert yet that I can tell. I have not investigated too much yet but looks like it extends to the driveway.
I wonder if the culvert has collapsed some or rusted through and allowing storm water to push through when it rains hard.
The hole is on the down hill side past the driveway.

The county paved the road about 4-5 years ago and raised the grade. They had to put a little more asphalt on the driveway to get the grade decent so I wouldn't drag a trailer.
That is about the time the silting started.

So my question is, am I or the county responsible for that culvert? I assume the county made the original homeowner put it in but its on their right of way and is for storm water.
Its around 30 years old and I'm sure its gonna cost a bit to dig it out, put a new one in and re grade so it drains properly.
It has silted in on the down hill side and remains wet and also has washed a bug area that holds water almost year round.

This is Coweta County and I have seen the county with inmates out doing drain work at others driveways so I wonder.
I just was wondering if anyone has had to deal with something similar.
I assume they will tell me its my problem even if it really theirs.

Toliver

Right of way is tricky and it will absolutely depend on what your county is willing to do. Your property/ their right away draws some very unclear lines in the sand. In Floyd, I'm responsible for putting in culvert under myvl driveway but they dictate the type... they require concrete. And although it affects the run off along the road, I have to pay someone to put it in. Just call your DOT or Public Works, whoever handles it, and ask them.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Everything on the county right of way is their responsibility. Contact your county’s public works or road department.
This is correct. If it’s in the Right of Way then it belongs to the county. No different than if it were a tree or a ditch.

ucfireman

I was hoping yall would say that.
I know I spoke to Heard county about putting in a driveway (just to access some hunting land) and they said they had to see exactly where I wanted it so they could tell me what type of pipe I had to put in there.
But once the pipe is in, that is my question. Am I required for the up keep or the county?
I will reach out to them soon and see what they say.

MOTS

If it's diverting water with ditches, I'd say yes, they would, about the width of the ditch.

Toliver

Its your problem on there right of way that you will have to get a permit from them to fix to there specs.
I'm not sure it could be said any better than that.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Its your problem on there right of way that you will have to get a permit from them to fix to there specs.
Yep, at least in Paulding Co. The flood of 2009 washed out the pipe and my driveway. After months arguing (county said it was f.e.m.a. 's / f.e.m.a. said it was county's to fix) finally just threw several thousand dollars down "their" ditch.

westcobbdog

I have culvert that runs under my driveway, I guess its about 24-30 inches or so.
I know its in the county right of way and is a storm water drain that drains all the water to the creek, about a mile or 1.5 mile of road.
I have noticed a sink hole next to the drive way in line with the culvert but not reaching to the culvert yet that I can tell. I have not investigated too much yet but looks like it extends to the driveway.
I wonder if the culvert has collapsed some or rusted through and allowing storm water to push through when it rains hard.
The hole is on the down hill side past the driveway.

The county paved the road about 4-5 years ago and raised the grade. They had to put a little more asphalt on the driveway to get the grade decent so I wouldn't drag a trailer.
That is about the time the silting started.

So my question is, am I or the county responsible for that culvert? I assume the county made the original homeowner put it in but its on their right of way and is for storm water.
Its around 30 years old and I'm sure its gonna cost a bit to dig it out, put a new one in and re grade so it drains properly.
It has silted in on the down hill side and remains wet and also has washed a bug area that holds water almost year round.

This is Coweta County and I have seen the county with inmates out doing drain work at others driveways so I wonder.
I just was wondering if anyone has had to deal with something similar.
I assume they will tell me its my problem even if it really theirs.
In Cobb County your same issue is a DOT call. Good luck with it.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Yep, at least in Paulding Co. The flood of 2009 washed out the pipe and my driveway. After months arguing (county said it was f.e.m.a. 's / f.e.m.a. said it was county's to fix) finally just threw several thousand dollars down "their" ditch.
Sounds like something similar to here.
County road goes past my and the pavement ends at the start of my pond dam. Gravel/dirt from there on.
There is 85 acres with 2 houses on the other side of the dam and about another 3/4 mile of county road.
County has declared it an "unmaintained" road and the owners are responsible for any road maintenance, even across my pond dam.