2013 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 Frame Bolt

Shane Dockery

Looking for a bit of help, knowledge, and possibly piece of mind. I have a 2013 F150, original owner, with 170K miles. Pulled out of my driveway a few days ago and noticed a large bolt on the pavement. It was sheared off about 3/4th of the way by the looks of it. I got under the truck and noticed an empty hole where it looked like this came from (front passenger wheel well area). Compared this to the other side, and yep, there's a bolt in that side. Looked around the interwebs, and this appears to be a body/frame mount bolt.

Question is, is this dangerous to drive or am I being a bit paranoid? This is the only bolt I can see that has come out. This truck has never been in a wreck, never been rough handled off road, and no rust that I can see underneath on the frame.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Looking for a bit of help, knowledge, and possibly piece of mind. I have a 2013 F150, original owner, with 170K miles. Pulled out of my driveway a few days ago and noticed a large bolt on the pavement. It was sheared off about 3/4th of the way by the looks of it. I got under the truck and noticed an empty hole where it looked like this came from (front passenger wheel well area). Compared this to the other side, and yep, there's a bolt in that side. Looked around the interwebs, and this appears to be a body/frame mount bolt.

Question is, is this dangerous to drive or am I being a bit paranoid? This is the only bolt I can see that has come out. This truck has never been in a wreck, never been rough handled off road, and no rust that I can see underneath on the frame.

A picture would help

GeorgiaGlockMan

Probably a grade 8 bolt.

You got the top of it?

EtA-i would fix it asap. They are for holding the body to the frame. You are 1 down already. Next failures may happen fast.

Shane Dockery

Here are the pics. Near the front passenger side wheelwell. 20230830_183104.jpg20230830_183017.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I would go ahead and replace the other bolts as well.

27metalman

Post a pic from the top of the bolt. Should have a marking or "dashes" on the head. Take a pic of the underside, too. That is a flange bolt. Some are smooth on the washer side, some have small serrations. Might be metric as well.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
There USED TO BE a rubber bushing in that body/frame mount. The rest are probably deteriorated and gone too.

It's a Ford Thing.

The next step is rattling and clanking and breaking more bolts. I got down to one bolt holding the cab on my F250...lol!

Order you some Delrin body bushings, NOT Ford replacements.

The job is gonna suck, hire it done...

jaybirdius

We heat the bolt up pretty hot before trying to break it loose. Most Ford cab bolts had loctite from the factory. Boogers to get out. We do shove something between the carpet and floor for some space. Heating the head of the bolt will still soften the loctite.