Funny Turkey Story

BMCS

So two years ago I went up with a buddy to hunt in Virginia. We were in the mountains where his mother owns some land and has a couple of nice cabins. We hunted that morning and did not here anything. So we headed up to the only store in the area to get breakfast. After breakfast we were standing by my truck and heard a turkey gobbling across the road, a couple of hundred yards away. My buddy starts putting on his vest, I said " what are you doing" he said, "Thats my uncles land, lets go." So we grabbed our gear and hauled tail into the woods. We got to within 100 yards of this turkey and set up just below the crest of a ridge. Now the turkey is just on the other side hammering. Well we sat and we sat. We called he would answer and sound like he was getting closer, we would get quiet and he would gobble and sound like he was going away. After this went on for about and hour. I decided to belly crawl over the ridge. I get to the top of the ridge and spot the turkey about a 100 yards away in the bottom, I cluck and purr he gobbles and blows up, I am freaking out. He walks away, spins then comes back, spins then goes the other way, spins then comes back. This goes on for about 15 minutes and I finally see it. The turkey is in a pen. Me and my buddy walk down to look at him, hes a stud with 12 inch beard and 1.5 inch spurs. Later on that evening we go to his uncles for supper and tell him the story. His 15 year old son's face turns ghostly white. He says. Please tell me you didn't tell anyone about my turkey. He said he found him all by his self as a chick and had him for over 4 years. He says he has to put him that far away from the house during the spring because he is so aggressive and drives them nuts, but he dont want anyone to kill him cause hes a pet and will come right up to a person. Anyway I thought it was funny.

BMCS

My First Turkey

My first Turkey. Was a pretty good one.
9 years ago I was stationed in South Texas. My Dad Called me on a Monday and asked if I would like to join him on a Turkey Hunt in Brady Texas the upcoming weekend. I had never Turkey Hunted so I said I would love to go. I immediately got in my truck and went to the Wally world and bought the Hunter Specialty Beginner pack. Lil Deuce Slate, Plastic PushBox Call, Crow Call and a DVD. I went home and commenced to driving my wife crazy. After a week of running these calls and watching my DVD, I was ready as I was gonna be. The weather in Brady Texas was 80 degrees when we (two veteran turkey hunters and my dad) showed up that friday evening. I quickly bonded with the veterans and started asking for advice. These veterans had me so pumped up with stories I couldnt even sleep.
Saturday morning we wake up and find the temperature had dropped to 40, wind was blowing 40 mph and the rain felt like pea gravel hitting you in the face. We froze our tails off that morning and didnt see or hear anything. We went to town at lunchtime and bought every pair of sweat shirts and sweatpants they had at the Dollar general (yellow and pink were the main colors available).
Nothing happening again Saturday evening.
The only good thing about Saturday was eating at the Hard Eights Barb-b-que Joint in Brady Texas. Best food I had ever had at that time. I slept good that night.

Sunday we woke to the same cold weather and only 20 mph wind but no rain. When we arrived at the ranch, I went were no one else wanted to go, It was the longest walk to the other side of the property. I did this because I wanted to blow on my calls and not mess anyone up (The Veteran's) while doing so. Anyway I walk all the way to the fence and start walking down it periodically honking on that crow call (It sounded awful) and come up on a whole in the fence, I back away from the fence and curl up in some mesquite bushes trying to get warm. I pull out my little duece slate and can't make it work, It was soaking wet from the day before and my hands were freezing from the cold. So out comes the Plastic green push box call. Yelp, Yelp, Yelp. Off in the distance I hear what I assume was a gobble. So I do it again Yelp, Yelp, Yelp. Another Gobble and alot closer. Then over my left shoulder I hear a raspy yelping, then he gobbles. Now I'm thinking one of them veteran's is about to come kill my turkey. I get my gun up just in time as he stepped threw the opening in the fence 20 yards away all puffed up, spitting and drumming at a hen that was about ten feet to my left that I did not even know was there. Until I shot and she jumped up like a big quail. Scared the you know what out of me.
One of the coolest things about the end of the hunt, was walking 200 yards across a blue bonnet meadow with that turkey slung across my back. Under the watchful eyes of of 2 veteran turkey hunters and my smiling dad. Oh and did I mention the veteran's killed one Jake between the two of them. My turkey had a 11 inch Beard, 1 1/8 spurs.

I have been Hooked on Turkeys ever since.