Mann Made Box Calls

FSU Turtle

I got on the waiting list awhile back for a pair of Steve Mann box calls (match design box and boat paddle), but finally got the call from him that they were being finished last month. I have been playing them for a few weeks now and I love them. I told him that I was going to hunt with the calls and they were not just going to sit on the shelf. Both have a great sound and they are easy to play. They will both spend some time in my vest this year, can't wait to hit the woods Saturday.:banana:

Attachments

• box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,607
  • box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,346

01Foreman400

Staff member
He makes one of the best calls.

Here are my Mann calls which includes 2 do-dat's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,325

Gaswamp

Steve's top notch

FSU Turtle

He makes one of the best calls.

Here are my Mann calls which includes 2 do-dat's.

These are the first calls that I ordered from him, but hopefully not the last. I need to figure out some other wood combinations. I first read about the do-dats on this forum, and they look cool. Do they sound much different than the boat paddle?

Bought one for my son prior to his birth. Awesome call, great fella!

That is really planning ahead. I am sure he will appreciate it when he gets older.

Steve's top notch

He seemed like a great guy in all my dealings with him getting these calls.

ryanwhit

Very nice. I've been meaning to get on his list myself.

Gaswamp

These are the first calls that I ordered from him, but hopefully not the last. I need to figure out some other wood combinations. I first read about the do-dats on this forum, and they look cool. Do they sound much different than the boat paddle?

That is really planning ahead. I am sure he will appreciate it when he gets older.

He seemed like a great guy in all my dealings with him getting these calls.

I usually just go with Steve's advise on what wood combinations to go with.

nhancedsvt

Banned
I've got a couple of his calls. I had always wanted them for my "collection" so I ordered a long box and short box. I like them, they sound good but I don't hunt with them much. Only on pristine days. I actually prefer my Harwell call and hunt with it 90% of the time.

DBrannon

That's a nice pair of calls! I'm on Steve's list for a paddle and signature box so maybe I will get to use them next spring.

Gaswamp

I've got a couple of his calls. I had always wanted them for my "collection" so I ordered a long box and short box. I like them, they sound good but I don't hunt with them much. Only on pristine days. I actually prefer my Harwell call and hunt with it 90% of the time.

Two great box callmakers....Mann and Harwell

JimLandt

Bought one for my son prior to his birth. Awesome call, great fella!

I like that. How old is your son now? I'm sure that call will benefit from a lot of years of very careful breaking in, if he's not using it yet! I hope you considered buying him a few other necessities prior to his birth too--rifles, shotguns, bows, trucks--all need to be used to be maintained, just until he's ready. I wish I'd thought of that more prior to my twin sons' births. Now they're 22. ["They"] would have a lot more good stuff if I had. LOL!:rofl:

J Gilbert

I've been meaning to get on his list for awhile, have to get on that in the next few weeks

DMP

Great calls made by a really good guy... Waiting list is over a year long so you had better get on it if you want one by next season...

FSU Turtle

I actually prefer my Harwell call and hunt with it 90% of the time.

Two great box callmakers....Mann and Harwell

I have been meaning to get one ordered from Mr. Bob as well. I have heard that his walnut and poplar short box sounds awsome.

That's a nice pair of calls! I'm on Steve's list for a paddle and signature box so maybe I will get to use them next spring.

Thanks, I told Steve that getting the call from him to tell me that the calls were going to be ready before the season was like a kid a couple weeks before Christmas.

Very nice. I've been meaning to get on his list myself.

I've been meaning to get on his list for awhile, have to get on that in the next few weeks

It took me a little while to decide to go ahead and pull the trigger on ordering, and I just wish I had not delayed so long. I should learn my lesson and get calls ordered from the next 2 on my wish list (Bob Harwel and Lamar Williams).

ryanwhit

It took me a little while to decide to go ahead and pull the trigger on ordering, and I just wish I had not delayed so long. I should learn my lesson and get calls ordered from the next 2 on my wish list (Bob Harwel and Lamar Williams).

I've got 2 from Bob and 3 from Lamar. You can't go wrong there. My first custom box was from Bob and I don't think it has ever left my vest.

DBrannon

Call collecting is fun and addicting. I have a walnut/mahogany and walnut/butternut from Bob. Bob makes the best sounding box for your money, in my opinion. And others will say this as well. I also have a short box from Lamar, walnut/poplar. His calls are awesome as well and both of these guys craftsmanship shines in each.

The next calls on my list are paddles and short boxes from Steve Mann and Darrin Dawkins.

J Gilbert

The same names come up in most of the custom box threads here- Mann, Harwell, Williams, and Dawkins. Marlin Watkins also makes a fine box, he had one at Dillard this year that I didn't want to put down, even took it outside to play it, but couldn't pull the trigger.

For long boxes, I'd put Russell Beard's up against anyone, and the one that I have sounds better (to me, of course) than any I've ran from Mann or Watkins through several shows I've been to. I'm getting a short box from him later this summer too when he's got some time to experiment in the shop.

Still need to get on Mann's list for sure, and want to get a call (or two or three) from Mr. Harwell too. Might even pull the trigger in a call from Mr. Watkins if I can piece together the funds.

This is a sickness.

01Foreman400

Staff member

They sound about the same to me. I really don't see to many of them.

01Foreman400

Staff member

I've got 2 of Bob Harwell's Black Walnut and Butternut box calls.

FCBFC18B-A14A-478D-87D5-6E103255E779-23589-000002990C09AA15_zps45b94210.jpg

Here are my 2 Lamar Williams calls.

003-3.jpg

001-1.jpg

Arrowhead95

FSU Turtle >> What are the woods? My guess is the short box is Butternut and the Longbox is Poplar?

I have one of his Butternut boxes that ruined a gobblers day.

He makes a fine call.