Question for the anti decoy turkey hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaDeerSlayer

Any of you duck hunt by chance? If so, am I wrong assuming that you would not do so with decoys? Seems if it's unethical to kill one bird while using decoys, the same should be true for all birds... :cheers:

MCNASTY

I do duck hunt but usually not with decoys. Also I dont get into the fashion things or gimmicks in the hunting world.Good hen talk and woodsmanship goes a long way.

blong

I don't use decoys turkey hunting but only because they seem to hang up on them. I try to trick a turkeys ears, I am trying to trick a ducks eyes. It may be wrong but I find a good turkey hunt to be far more valuable than a mallard shoot in the timber. You kill ducks where the ducks want to be, you kill turkeys by getting him where you want him to be.
They are totally different kinds of hunts to me. I probably could set up a decoy spread in a bean field and kill several turkeys every year but that would be just about as much fun and take as much woodsmanship as headlighting deer. JMO

MKW

I do not duck hunt. I will tell you that I do not respect or admire any game animal as much as I do turkeys, so if I did duck hunt, I probably would not be opposed to using decoys.

Mike

MCNASTY

hang up

I don't use decoys turkey hunting but only because they seem to hang up on them. I try to trick a turkeys ears, I am trying to trick a ducks eyes. It may be wrong but I find a good turkey hunt to be far more valuable than a mallard shoot in the timber. You kill ducks where the ducks want to be, you kill turkeys by getting him where you want him to be.
They are totally different kinds of hunts to me. I probably could set up a decoy spread in a bean field and kill several turkeys every year but that would be just about as much fun and take as much woodsmanship as headlighting deer. JMO

Good post !!

The hang up, I've seen just as many not come to decoys as I've seen come to them. Personally it's a hassle to lug the dekes around and it just doesn't fit my style of moving.

Coach Reynolds

Good grief people. Use decoys or don't...there are bigger issues as hunters we need to worry about. I've had the pleasure of watching 4 turkeys go down this year. 2 of them were killed with decoys & 2 were killed without. Just hunt & enjoy the sport! You are no more of better a woodsman/hunter if you do or don't use decoys. A real woodsman respects the game, land & ensures that hunting will be around long after they're gone! A bigger issue is when we go to a WMA and see trash left in the camp or find trash in the middle of the woods that hunters were to sorry & lazy to pick up!

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

The mtn man

Good grief people. Use decoys or don't...there are bigger issues as hunters we need to worry about. I've had the pleasure of watching 4 turkeys go down this year. 2 of them were killed with decoys & 2 were killed without. Just hunt & enjoy the sport! You are no more of better a woodsman/hunter if you do or don't use decoys. A real woodsman respects the game, land & ensures that hunting will be around long after they're gone! A bigger issue is when we go to a WMA and see trash left in the camp or find trash in the middle of the woods that hunters were to sorry & lazy to pick up!

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

Anyone should agree with this, as for trash, I have wondered for many years, how do beer cans get way back in the woods, I have found beer cans way back in the mtns. here,weird!Now that's an issue that is worthy of discussion.Or bashing, or whatever.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
It really doesn't matter if it is legal. Actually, it really isn't anyone's business. Unless you are paying that person's bills, you don't have any say in the matter.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
At one time it was legal to use a live hen to hunt turkeys. Will the pro-decoy faction feel the same about "if it's legal, anything goes", once someone comes up with a life-like robotic hen? We are not that far away from it happening.

swalker1517

It really doesn't matter if it is legal. Actually, it really isn't anyone's business. Unless you are paying that person's bills, you don't have any say in the matter.

And there ya go. Easy as pie.

Gator8em

I wouldn't take a crutch from a one legged man, If you feel like you need'em use'em. It's a 50/50 at best. I will use them on occasion, generally on field birds that have been stubborn. Duck huntin is a whole different deal. If they didn't choose to fly everywhere, I wouldn't use decoys. I could set up by a pond a quack em in.

hawglips

Banned
Any of you duck hunt by chance? If so, am I wrong assuming that you would not do so with decoys? Seems if it's unethical to kill one bird while using decoys, the same should be true for all birds... :cheers:

Kinda like why using bright spot lights to hunt at night isn't ethical or legal for all mammalian game animals.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Locked. To save some of you from yourselves.

I suggest ya`ll read that link I supplied above.

Status
Not open for further replies.