Any one ever been to bond swamp nwr?

hello, i got drawn for the january hog hunt on bond swamp and was wondering has anyone ever been there, if you have could you help me out. thanks

bond swamp

There are hog's in all area's in bond swamp and you normally don't have to kill yourself getting away from the roads and trails ,they will be right off the highway if the food is there. You need to go in a day before the hunt and find the fresh sign,when we get a lot of rain they get pushed up to the high ground otherwise just scout the slough's till you find the heavy trails.Take a compass as it is 6,000 acres that all look's the same.Rubber boots or waders are a good idea too. GOOD LUCK

GA DAWG

I hunted it 2 times a few years ago.Then you could ride atvs alot of places you cant get a truck into.So I would for sure take an atv if the rules are still the same.Most of the hogs were at the end of a rd that goes way back along the river cant remember the name.Also I would suggest chest waders the sloughs are pretty DEEEEP!

ugabowhunter

i hunted there this year. from macon take a right on bondsview rd til it is gated off. get out and walk away from the river. you will see hogs. i killed on with a bow from the ground and a buddy of mine missed one. you don't need waders, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to tote a pair with you.

jkp

There is a club across the river that is accessed by a gate at the end of the main road, you can't miss it usally a 10ft wide trail of corn lead from the gate into there club. Anyway take a left and go beside the property to the powerline, park and walk in the powerline about 300yrd anywhere on the left is good swamp just watch out for the occasional small gator. If you find the 3-6 mature orange trees in the woods great place to hunt.
J

Craig Knight

Bond Swamp

I'll be there unless $$ is still a little tight. Hunted there last year and the swamp was dry,but we had a lot more rain this year,hopefully it'll pay off.

GA DAWG

Maybe yall will get one.The year I hunted it we got to hunt 2 hunts.The first one was called off due to an ice storm 1.5 days into it.We got a free pass to hunt the second one.Then you had better have waders and needed chest waders bout anywhere you went.

there is sign everywhere

went down and scouted on thursday and i could not believe the sign. it is gonna be tough to pick a spot. rootings are everywhere and i mean fresh too. saw several turkeys and a real biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig eight pointer, finally at two thirty we walked up on several hogs rooting got some good pics but gotta get em developed then i will put them on the site. thanks for the info guys cant wait till i can take the rifle............ :flag:

Jared

I have been twice with no luck. I did see some last year, but they where being chased by a pack of dogs. Hunted the uplands and a little down Bondsview Road. That is the best area. Follow road to gate. Cross over tracks and hunt near the river. I would take the waders or hip boots as well. Every time I have gone it has been flooded. I stayed in the Days Inn across the intersate and it worked out well. Hunt thick areas as you can. I found beds in little pine thickets or bamboo thickets surrounded by oaks. Good Luck.

kcausey

Banned
Stay AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Stay off the dadgum railroad tracks!!!!!!!! I work for the freakin' railroad and got a $50 tresspassing ticket for walking along side the rocks, with bow in hand. Man, there are more hogs down there than you can shake a 16ft 6x6 at. I had to work a little too much during the archery only hunt, and didn't get to scout a whole lot, plus that ticket i got on the first day kinda put a damper on everything. I live 15 minutes from the Bond Swamp, so i'll be frequenting the place in the future. You might even see some bears, i saw about a 200lb chocolate boar bear right about where jkp is speaking of hunting. I just wish they'd open the place up for a turkey hunt, it's unreal down there.

Glad to hear you had luck UGA....i believe im the only one one that hunt that didn't get to draw back!