Annual Camping Trip

Joehales90

Hey guys n girls it's almost that time again! We'll be packing up and driving down in just two short weeks. 3 hunts and 3 hogs- we're trying to keep the streak going. Wondering if anyone knows how the swamps look at tuckahoe? Looking at the river levels down there in assuming the waters low?

Any specific advice for low water situations when all the extra islands are accessible?

I'm also looking to come down again in February/early March (March will be the savanna wildlife refuge) and wondering if anyone has any experience there? Worried more about hunter density than hog density... I know the hogs should be there, just wondering how crowded it is with people

Thanks in advance!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Can’t help with any of that, but good luck! I’m headed to Arcadia Fl second week of January…..hope we see some pigs too!

frankwright

Good Luck on your trip.
Me and a friend went to Arcadia three years in a row and hunted bow only with Nicki Roth. I don't think he does it anymore.

I live in Savannah, have never hunted Tuckahoe or SNWR. I spend most of my time on Fort Stewart. We did get two solid days of rain on the coast last week, it might not reflect in the river gauges, but all of the coastal swamps were flooded out. I'm actually hunting in Maryland/Virginia right now so I'm out of the loop down south. Shoot me a PM once you are in town.

Joehales90

Hey so they're calling for a buttload of rain tomorrow... what kinda affect does that have on the pigs? (Other than potentially pushing them to higher ground in the swamps)

They're also calling for rain all day Friday from what I see- thoughts on hunting in the rain? Is it worth it or do they lay up? Or does it just depend on how hard it's raining?

Hey so they're calling for a buttload of rain tomorrow... what kinda affect does that have on the pigs? (Other than potentially pushing them to higher ground in the swamps)

They're also calling for rain all day Friday from what I see- thoughts on hunting in the rain? Is it worth it or do they lay up? Or does it just depend on how hard it's raining?

A light rain/drizzle/off-and-on rain actually makes them more active. Cools the air and makes the ground softer for rooting. I think a heavy rain like is forecasted will cause them to lay up, at least for the heaviest portions of the storm. But as soon as there is a break in the weather they will roam again. As far as hunting in the rain goes, the pigs are outside regardless. Just depends on how wet you're willing to get. The swamps will probably get flooded so access might be an issue.

Joehales90

I don't mind getting wet for a chance at a reward... I just didn't know how finicky they are about it. So light to moderate, probably no issue- moderate to heavy probably not worth it?

I don't mind getting wet for a chance at a reward... I just didn't know how finicky they are about it. So light to moderate, probably no issue- moderate to heavy probably not worth it?
I would say that's accurate. I'm sure someone else will probably say otherwise. But in my experience they bed when it's real nasty out and you have to jump them up.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I've got plenty of trail cam pics of them in light to moderate rain on my place. None in heavy but that doesn't mean they weren't active, just not in front of the camera at the time.

Have never tried to correlate with the wind but have seen some on "breezy" days but rarely venture out on windy days.

Just my limited personal experience.

Joehales90

We got on some pigs, but of the 4 of us only managed to kill one... I was carrying a 22 mag the first few days and lost out on opportunities because I couldn't get that "perfect shot placement" required... so I switched to my muzzleloader for the last 2 days and shot a little one on a palmetto thicket in probably 20-30 mph winds. We had two very windy days and one day that was kinda rainy- the wind didn't seem keep em from moving, but the high winds in the varied swamp conditions/terrain (a mix of high spots, low spots, thickets, openings) made for a lot of inconsistent wind direction which poses its own issue.

Overall an awesome trip. I'd like to get back down either in late February or in April during the turkey season... gotta see what the boss says

These trees in the swamps are one of my favorite parts of coming down... something about them I just really like. Nothing like em in Maryland.

God certainly blessed georgia with some beautiful grounds to wander through.

Attachments

• 20240113_105057(0).jpg
    20240113_105057(0).jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240112_095802.jpg
    20240112_095802.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240113_160539.jpg
    20240113_160539.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20240111_162724.jpg
    20240111_162724.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 74

tracker12

I live in Savannah, have never hunted Tuckahoe or SNWR. I spend most of my time on Fort Stewart. We did get two solid days of rain on the coast last week, it might not reflect in the river gauges, but all of the coastal swamps were flooded out. I'm actually hunting in Maryland/Virginia right now so I'm out of the loop down south. Shoot me a PM once you are in town.
You up for some Sika deer hunting or just some of our whitetails?

Latest posts