Year 1 of Camping in Review

ssramage

A little bored this morning and going through some pics and reminiscing. A year ago, my family finally took the plunge into camping when a family friend was selling their pop-up camper. Spur of the moment we bought it and booked a Fall Break trip at FDR State Park. To my pleasant surprise my wife and kids LOVED it! I didn't need any additional encouragement to upgrade the tow rig and travel trailer. Within weeks I had a new to me F250 and new Kodiak 283BHSL travel trailer. We've had a pretty good year since last Oct. Some incredible trips solo and with friends, a few that got cancelled, and have many more trips coming up! Below are a few of the places we went over the last year and a few pictures. If you're on the fence about getting a camper, or just starting to camp in general, DO IT! I don't know how much we've spent but I can't think of any investment that would ever generate the returns as what we've received here.

Last 12 months worth of trips:
Oct 2022 - FDR State Park (only trip in our pop-up)
Hands down one of our favorite state parks so far. We were supposed to go back Fall Break this year, but work commitments pulled me to Europe for 2 weeks so we had to cancel. We'll be back in Dec.

Nov 2022 - Jekyll Island (shake down trip of our new Kodiak 283BHSL)
We live on St. Simons so we used this as a shake down trip with the new camper one of the weekends during Thanksgiving week. With being so close to home, we had a ton of things pulling us back and forth, but still a good time. The campsites are very close together and overall pretty low down the list of our favorite places so far. I think if we weren't local, it would be much more appealing.

Jan 2023 - Crooked River State Park
Still a fairly local option for us. We really like this park.

Feb 2023 - Huntington Beach State Park, SC
Presidents Day getaway with a friends family. Ironically, I thought this was a park we used to go to a lot when I was a kid but nothing looked familiar. Turns out I used to visit Hunting Island and not Huntington Beach. Still a really nice SC beachfront campground.

April 2023 (Spring Break) - Disney Fort Wilderness
It's Disney... it's expensive but absolutely worth it. We 2 more trips booked here in 2024.

May 2023 - Crooked River State Park

Sept 2023 - Skidaway Island State Park
First time at this park and we'll be back. Still fairly local but nice to be near Savannah. We did a Savannah Bananas game and were able to run home on Sat for my son's XC meet.

Planned Camping Trips for Year #2 with more to come!
- Vogel State Park Nov 2023
- FDR State Park Dec 2023
- Skidaway State Park Jan 2024
- Laura S. Walker State Park Feb 2024
- Disney Fort Wilderness April 2024
- Vogel State Park May 2024
- Disney Fort Wilderness Dec 2024

341152407_146683321471307_6074067513708093892_n.jpgIMG_1713.jpegIMG_5036.jpgIMG_5780.jpgIMG_6057.jpgIMG_6061.jpgIMG_6459.jpgIMG_6943.jpgIMG_7846.jpgIMG_7202.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Congratulations. Camping is one way to have a great family experience and each trip can be totally different.

If you get a chance try Ft. Clinch St. Park on Amelia Island just the other side of the St. Marys River from Cumberland Island. My first stay there was as a kid in 1956 and I have reservations for the coming year, God willing.

dslc6487

My wife and I loved camping, especially with our grandchildren. She was diagnosed with ALS in May of 2019 and all of that came to an end. Some of our most precious memories were made at the campgrounds. Now we sit and stare at each other in a skillled nursing facility as she is on hospice.
Word of advice: If you have children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, spend as much time with them as you can and make precious memories. You never know what awaits you just around the corner....

ssramage

Congratulations. Camping is one way to have a great family experience and each trip can be totally different.

If you get a chance try Ft. Clinch St. Park on Amelia Island just the other side of the St. Marys River from Cumberland Island. My first stay there was as a kid in 1956 and I have reservations for the coming year, God willing.

Ft. Clinch is actually one of the parks we had to cancel for this year. We had it booked in Dec but decided to take the kids up to Bryson City, NC to the Hemlock Inn and do polar Express/Biltmore instead. It's insanely hard to get a spot there!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Don't I know it. I took my first grandson to Clinch when he was 4. The next year he learned to ride his bike there. When he got to High School I figured the annual grandpa/grandson camping trip was about played out but he said he wanted to keep it up so I said that we would for as long as I could make it. He 26 and we have next year's trip planned.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
What site did you have at Crooked River? We are headed there in April and have site 14. Will be our 1st time there but went to Blythe Island earlier this year and loved that campground

ssramage

What site did you have at Crooked River? We are headed there in April and have site 14. Will be our 1st time there but went to Blythe Island earlier this year and loved that campground

We've stayed at #8 and #5. #14 is a good site though. We actually had that site booked for this past Sept but had to cancel because of my work travel.

basshappy

BANNED
@ssramage awesome! Do it and enjoy it and don't look back!

I went with a Class B van so I can park anywhere (in GA it is registered as vehicle not RV so HOAs & other places with no RV parking don't apply to us!) on or off road (within reason). My boy and I and our Dutchie love it. I home schooled him during Covid year and we learned on the road wherever we roamed. We have connected at a few campgrounds RV sites, mostly thise with ponds or lakes so we can fish. :) But more time parked in the woods, dirt road, etc.

Oldstick

That is great ssramage! Kids are the perfect age to love going. You've already checked off some of our favorite places and many more to go for you in GA and beyond. (y)

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
A little bored this morning and going through some pics and reminiscing. A year ago, my family finally took the plunge into camping when a family friend was selling their pop-up camper. Spur of the moment we bought it and booked a Fall Break trip at FDR State Park. To my pleasant surprise my wife and kids LOVED it! I didn't need any additional encouragement to upgrade the tow rig and travel trailer. Within weeks I had a new to me F250 and new Kodiak 283BHSL travel trailer. We've had a pretty good year since last Oct. Some incredible trips solo and with friends, a few that got cancelled, and have many more trips coming up! Below are a few of the places we went over the last year and a few pictures. If you're on the fence about getting a camper, or just starting to camp in general, DO IT! I don't know how much we've spent but I can't think of any investment that would ever generate the returns as what we've received here.

Last 12 months worth of trips:
Oct 2022 - FDR State Park (only trip in our pop-up)
Hands down one of our favorite state parks so far. We were supposed to go back Fall Break this year, but work commitments pulled me to Europe for 2 weeks so we had to cancel. We'll be back in Dec.

Nov 2022 - Jekyll Island (shake down trip of our new Kodiak 283BHSL)
We live on St. Simons so we used this as a shake down trip with the new camper one of the weekends during Thanksgiving week. With being so close to home, we had a ton of things pulling us back and forth, but still a good time. The campsites are very close together and overall pretty low down the list of our favorite places so far. I think if we weren't local, it would be much more appealing.

Jan 2023 - Crooked River State Park
Still a fairly local option for us. We really like this park.

Feb 2023 - Huntington Beach State Park, SC
Presidents Day getaway with a friends family. Ironically, I thought this was a park we used to go to a lot when I was a kid but nothing looked familiar. Turns out I used to visit Hunting Island and not Huntington Beach. Still a really nice SC beachfront campground.

April 2023 (Spring Break) - Disney Fort Wilderness
It's Disney... it's expensive but absolutely worth it. We 2 more trips booked here in 2024.

May 2023 - Crooked River State Park

Sept 2023 - Skidaway Island State Park
First time at this park and we'll be back. Still fairly local but nice to be near Savannah. We did a Savannah Bananas game and were able to run home on Sat for my son's XC meet.

Planned Camping Trips for Year #2 with more to come!
- Vogel State Park Nov 2023
- FDR State Park Dec 2023
- Skidaway State Park Jan 2024
- Laura S. Walker State Park Feb 2024
- Disney Fort Wilderness April 2024
- Vogel State Park May 2024
- Disney Fort Wilderness Dec 2024

View attachment 1265800View attachment 1265801View attachment 1265802View attachment 1265803View attachment 1265804View attachment 1265805View attachment 1265806View attachment 1265808View attachment 1265811View attachment 1265813
Good reading...as I sit lookn out the window on Lanier, watchn leaves fall and prepn for the cool down :)

Geffellz18

That’s awesome! Glad you’re enjoying the experience and getting the family out there.
Thanks for sharing and hopefully inspiring someone to take the plunge.
I don’t personally camp like that often, but surely enjoy it.

Good reading...as I sit lookn out the window on Lanier, watchn leaves fall and prepn for the cool down :)
Back at Don Carter?
Good time to be up this way-May be a little past peak up at the higher elevations for foliage if you’re leaf peeking, but peaking here in the foothills right now. Went on a drive up Blood to Blairsville, over to Hiawassee, back over Tray. Some impressive colors. A few locals mentioned it being the prettiest they recall it being in 10+ years.
Bottom fell out last night for sure temperature wise…Love it!

KlaxAttack

Very cool! I've been wanting to buy it for a while, but I keep putting it off, something more important always comes up. Congratulations on your purchase, and enjoy your trip!

In the hunt for knowledge, I will guide you through the thick forest of study as a humble author at https://edubirdie.com/write-my-essay-for-me and helping you with papers writing. Let's start this exciting journey together!

Last edited:

GT90

Most excellent. Keep doing it while the kids are for it (and maybe a little past that :bounce:). They will thank you for it later.

And to ensure a happy trip, check your tires regularly. Broken down on the side of the road is not the "memory" you want them to have. Plus it can save you a lot of money in repair bills.

basshappy

BANNED
And to ensure a happy trip, check your tires regularly. Broken down on the side of the road is not the "memory" you want them to have. Plus it can save you a lot of money in repair bills.

I will second check your tires regularly. Especially for any bulge and under inflated. We had a catastrophic blow out at 65 mph due most likely to under inflated tire. Fortunately it was a rear tire and I was in right lane. Definitely difficult to control. I can't imagine if it was a steering wheel that blew.

FB_IMG_1698911019299.jpg

basshappy

BANNED
Good advice. I actually just bought a Tireminder TPMS system for my camper tires. It will alert to changes in pressure or temperature. We've got a few longer trips coming up and I wanted the peace of mind.

Smart investment. If you have time test it to make certain it is performing and indicating as you need it before you head out of town.

Depending on far or how remote ya may invest in a few items just to keep y'all moving and not sitting. I am probably overkill but my boy and I get into remote no cellular signal areas so having tools and parts on hand puts us in best position to not get stranded (hopefully! Lol). Hoses, clamps, high heat tape, fluids, breaker bars, impact, sockets & wrenches, battery, belt, etc. Takes a little space but between being remote and a lot of parts out of stock in brick and mortar hopefully we are hedging to keep enjoying our time.

Enjoy your camping adventures and shoot video because pics don't record all the voices!!!

ssramage

Smart investment. If you have time test it to make certain it is performing and indicating as you need it before you head out of town.

Depending on far or how remote ya may invest in a few items just to keep y'all moving and not sitting. I am probably overkill but my boy and I get into remote no cellular signal areas so having tools and parts on hand puts us in best position to not get stranded (hopefully! Lol). Hoses, clamps, high heat tape, fluids, breaker bars, impact, sockets & wrenches, battery, belt, etc. Takes a little space but between being remote and a lot of parts out of stock in brick and mortar hopefully we are hedging to keep enjoying our time.

Enjoy your camping adventures and shoot video because pics don't record all the voices!!!

Not really any remote Camping going on but I usually keep a good set of tools handy. I don't like relying on others for help so I try to be as prepared as possible.