Heading down again

Joehales90

Well fellas we made it back alive.. but tired. Arrived at camp at 2am. Set up our spare tent (someone forgot the tent poles for the big tent) and slept until 630.. coffee. Then off to the races. The 4 of us hunted all day without an encounter. I found a spot with lots of new and old sign up against a stand of young pines. Figured they were bedding in there. The others found some sign, but nothing super fresh. It rained like **** that night but we were dry in the tent. Up again at 530 to find the "porch" of the tent (with our shoes and backbacks) with an inch of water laying in it. Oh well. Hunting stuff was dry in the truck. Coffee. Then back off to the races. Hunted hard again with minimal sign in the morning. Went back and dried out camp. For the evening I posted up watching the transition from the pines... nada. Wind blew too hard for a fire Friday night. Worn out, off to sleep after some fried spam and baked beans. Up n at em 530 Saturday morning. Coffee, off to the races... got to our first spot and we're too late... I assume a duck hunter parked there but didn't wanna crowd anyone on 15,000 acres. Moved on and changed plans. Got dropped off at plan b and started working my way in... very little sign as I worked along a thick pine stand. Finally got to a little creek bed with some palmettos spread here and there. Thought I heard a grunt from behind me. Paused for about 5 minutes. Wishful thinking I guess... worked up ahead nice and slow keeping an eye out in front of me and pausing frequently to listen- light frost made the leaves a little quieter. Took a step and heard a low crunch and saw her staring at me just 15 yards away. Gun was by my right side... bit of a problem since I'm a lefty. I eased it up fully figuring she'd run but she didn't. She let out a low snort just as my crosshairs steadied between her eyes. I know you shouldn't hit em there with a 22 mag, but at that range and since we were having a stare down I let it rip. She went right down and to floppin... tried to run off as I approached to finish her off but couldn't get her head up.

God was definitely looking out as I'm not much on luck... she dressed out at 115lbs- I'm assuming close to 150 live weight.

Hunted the rest of the day Saturday and half day Sunday without another opportunity. Had a safe, uneventful drive home. Super blessed to say the least.

Attachments

• 20230117_172907.jpg
    20230117_172907.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 23059.jpeg
    23059.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 23058.jpeg
    23058.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 33

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job , congrats ! At least you made your one encounter count . They tough to kill this time of the year on public land .

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Good stuff Joe.
:cheers:

bany

Glad you connected and a great trip!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Man she’s a good one too! Sounds like a great time! While it may not seem like it as hard as y’all have been at it, y’all are getting it done and should be real proud of the accomplishment(s)! Getting skunked is the reality so many have taken home! One of these times y’all are gonna go crazy and have to go grab an another cooler! Mark my works!