BF Grant Camera Theft

furtaker

Thieves suck.
I will put a cheap WGI out on public now and then. I figure if it gets stolen, I knew better.
Oddly, I have never had a camera stolen on public land. But, I have had three stolen off my own property over the last few years.
I've been extremely fortunate. I run a good many cameras and I've never had one stolen. Even had trespassers looking at the camera and didn't see it. My day is probably coming though.

Core Lokt

Hate it for you man. I personally wouldn't put one out with out it being cabled to the tree. Make'm work for it.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
The cable doesn't work on most of them without covering up a lens or the PIR sensor or the flash.
And if you've put something behind it to tilt it, all they have to do is remove that and it will wiggle out from under any cable.
Certain ones have slots or holes meant for the cable but not all of them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

EDH

I feel your pain. Someone stole my teenage son’s feeder and cell cam from our private lease in the past couple of weeks. These were at least 200 yards from the nearest property line.

Jim Boyd

Did you at least have it cabled and locked ? I buy the cheapest I can find and still lock them up. What I'd REALLY like to do is get an old broken camera and rig it with an explosive of some sort so it blows up in their face as soon as they open it. Or, fill it full of Fentanyl and when they open it they're done. Have a little note inside the camera that says "If you hadn't messed with it, you'd still be here" But, stuff like that is frowned upon.

Really?

What if an innocent 10 year old opened it.

Anyone can type anything.

rugerfan

I don't understand how people can't just leave things alone. I am a regular public land hunter, I have seen dozens of cameras and tree stands and just kept walking, it isn't mine, it isn't bothering me, so I have no business touching it.

Worst I had ever done is let one of the cameras take a picture of me posing with a buck I killed not far from where the camera was.

I sat in a ladder stand I found once on public land, I killed a buck out of it. When I left the area, I taped a plastic bag, with a 10 dollar bill and a thank you note, to the top rail.

Gbr5pb

I put mine in a bear box most of the time! Have gotten hand pictures from trespassers but haven’t had one stolen. Yet!

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
First year ever using any cameras. I made two brackets like this for them.. Have a short ladder section I use when I put them up. You would have to work to get them unless you’re Karem Abdul Jabbar. :rofl:

That’s a great hack! I swapped out my straps with one that has a clip so they attach easy, and I’m not poking holes in trees. But I do like it!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve lost count how many I’ve walked by. I mark them on my app usually and sometimes even wave, but usually walk behind them.

TonyP62

I had a camera stolen at BF Grant WMA. Before I get blasted about putting a camera on Public land, I know the risk and took it, my loss. I have probably passed 30-50 cameras on public land over the years and never once have I thought about taking someone's camera. I don't really understand why anyone else would either but worse than that, I really don't like being in the woods hunting with someone who has such low standards. Again, I know that there are all walks of life out there hunting public but as hunters I think we should respect one another enough not to take something that obviously doesn't belong to you. Whoever you are, next time just put the SD Card at the base of the tree so at least I can look at what I had on camera!
I saw 2 tree stands last week on National Forest land in Union County and never once thought about even bothering them. Too many lowlifes in this world now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
On the public land I hunt it is a rare occasion when I see one, but when I do I make it a point to not get in range of it, and leave it alone. I don`t even like to leave a track where I hunt, and I for sure don`t want my "spirit captured" where I hunt on public land.

slow motion

On the public land I hunt it is a rare occasion when I see one, but when I do I make it a point to not get in range of it, and leave it alone. I don`t even like to leave a track where I hunt, and I for sure don`t want my "spirit captured" where I hunt on public land.
They might get a glimpse but I don't think there's been a prison built that could hold your spirit brother Nic.

You start those memoirs yet. Deer season will be over soon. Rainy winter day might be a good time to start. Just some thoughts in no particular order. Adventures. Folklore. Recipes. Foraging. Knapping. Hide tanning, including the ones you received as a young un. Fly tying. Homestead farming. History of family, area, etc. Whiskey. Stretching wire. Not my business of course but I hope you get around to it. :cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They might get a glimpse but I don't think there's been a prison built that could hold your spirit brother Nic.

You start those memoirs yet. Deer season will be over soon. Rainy winter day might be a good time to start. Just some thoughts in no particular order. Adventures. Folklore. Recipes. Foraging. Knapping. Hide tanning, including the ones you received as a young un. Fly tying. Homestead farming. History of family, area, etc. Whiskey. Stretching wire. Not my business of course but I hope you get around to it. :cheers:

I`m doing some pondering and serious contemplation on writing some of that stuff down. Thank you for your kind words. :cheers: