BF Grant Camera Theft

I had a camera stolen at BF Grant WMA. Before I get blasted about putting a camera on Public land, I know the risk and took it, my loss. I have probably passed 30-50 cameras on public land over the years and never once have I thought about taking someone's camera. I don't really understand why anyone else would either but worse than that, I really don't like being in the woods hunting with someone who has such low standards. Again, I know that there are all walks of life out there hunting public but as hunters I think we should respect one another enough not to take something that obviously doesn't belong to you. Whoever you are, next time just put the SD Card at the base of the tree so at least I can look at what I had on camera!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I hate a thief, there is nothing more self centered. Sadly, the world contains some sorry folks.

BigBass123

Bummer. Just started running cameras on public this year, all 5 of them are still in place so lucky so far.

I do believe I had one messed with, looked like a deer stampede in front of my camera but nothing on it except a single picture of a hand and another of a guy walking away. Previous pictures I had on it were deleted. Only camera that didn’t at least get a tree blowing in the wind, area was flat out covered with survey ribbon around the camera. Stand hanging about 100 yards away from it now.

Guess it’s par for the course.

Long Cut

I’m not surprised. Have experienced and heard of folks deer being stolen or attempted to be stolen more-so than ever before.

The lack of respect nowadays is pitiful.

Toliver

Check with the office. Maybe someone turned it in to lost and found since you "abandoned" your camera on public property.

toolmkr20

If you have an iPhone I suggest placing apple air tags inside your camera hidden. As long as the air tag is within 30’ of an iPhone with the Bluetooth function on you will be able to locate your stolen property. It’s not a fail safe but it’s worth the money in my opinion. You can get a (4) pack for around $80.

GregoryB.

Thieves are everywhere. When I was a young Soldier my buddy had his stand stolen from a Military Base. You would think there would be a better class of people on base but sadly not.

kingfish

Did you at least have it cabled and locked ? I buy the cheapest I can find and still lock them up. What I'd REALLY like to do is get an old broken camera and rig it with an explosive of some sort so it blows up in their face as soon as they open it. Or, fill it full of Fentanyl and when they open it they're done. Have a little note inside the camera that says "If you hadn't messed with it, you'd still be here" But, stuff like that is frowned upon.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
$12 and you'd still have a camera
View attachment 1278646
I got a 3 pack of these a few years back, they use the same key. If I don’t elevate my camera I’ll put one of these on it. I prefer to take a climbing stick and a lineman’s belt so I can get it out of reach, mostly.
Still, I agree a thief is the lowest of lows and if they think they are an “outdoorsman”, then I beg to differ. Sorry it got taken. Btw-it’s another reason I really like my $30 Tascos.

BASS1FUN

I usually won’t leave one out for more than 2 weeks, I’ve been blessed because I put cameras out on B F GRANT several times, they’re not leaving an SD card because they want to see what is on it

Full Draw McGraw

Sorry to hear that. I run one cheap camera on public land in that part of the state and though i haven't had any issues yet, i know one day it's going to disappear on me. I won't leave it in a spot that is easy to find or to get to.
So far i've had a few other hunters walk by and get their pictures taken, a couple have waved, but no one has messed with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thieves suck.
I will put a cheap WGI out on public now and then. I figure if it gets stolen, I knew better.
Oddly, I have never had a camera stolen on public land. But, I have had three stolen off my own property over the last few years.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Not expecting a camera to get messed with in mountain wilderness is one thing, but if you think you've got a spot on BF Grant that is not covered by other hunters, you are wrong.
I imagine you could get by with it sometimes but sometimes peoples uck.

flatwoods

Thieves suck.
I will put a cheap WGI out on public now and then. I figure if it gets stolen, I knew better.
Oddly, I have never had a camera stolen on public land. But, I have had three stolen off my own property over the last few years.
That is odd. How many neighbors you got?