Quiz-Guess What This Is

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Picked this one up along with a few more today. Guess what it is.

Attachments

• MVC-066F.JPG
    MVC-066F.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 2,191

Arrow3

Osage Orange

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Correct again Brandon!

Arrow3

Nic,

are they good for anything??

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep Arrow3, them thangs is full of seeds that'll grow more trees! I hear tell that squirrels love'em, you can chunk'em at folks too.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Arrow3, check out Hedgeapple.com, all yoou could ever want to know about Osage Orange and then some.

horseapples is what it was called when I was a kid.

Blue Iron

Banned
Horse apple is what I've heard it called. Also heard they were poisonous to humans if eaten.

FX Jenkins

Nic,

Makin hedges...and stick bows...

I gave my aunts a couple of apples with a clay pitcher and a recipe for Osage Lemonade...had em goin for about 10 mins

BuckinFish

i was gonna say a ball of inchworms

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic,

The wood is probably the best in North America for makin` traditional bows. I have also heard rumors that the fruit will repel roachbugs. :huh:

OkieHunter

I is the best wood around for making self bows but it is also one of the hardest woods to work ther is and will dull a chain saw chain faster than you can say dull. there is allot of sand in the wood,

Bishop

OK…. I’ll say all the above, and I’ll bet it will leave a mark if one was chunked at someone’s head.

Handgunner

The wood is probably the best in North America for makin` traditional bows. I have also heard rumors that the fruit will repel roachbugs. :huh:
Be a tiny bow wouldn't it? ::ke:

:p

discounthunter

the wood has a rich yellow tone that turns a somewhat mustard color as it ages.very good wood for making game calls out of and just general wood working,but it is VERY tough on equipment.thanks nick for posting,btw if you got some dead branches laying around........

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
The wood when burned, also produces more BTU's per cord than any other North American wood.

sureshot375

they are all over the place out in kansas. People say deer don't eat them, but i saw one do just that. seems like they like then when they have already been busted open.