Rum Creek 7 Pointer

Just BB

Last week Jasper and I went down to our camp in Juliette. The Rum Creek Quota Hunt, which we had been drawn for, was going on. Jasper was actually hunting his lease in Rockdale Co., but we camped together. We enjoyed several nights of great food, great "beverages" and great laughs. Jasper harvested a big 8 pointer with a 37 yard shot with his bow on Wednesday evening. We spent until 1:00am taking care of the business on hand. Of course Thursday we were back up at 4:00 am. Rum Creek borders our Hunting Club so it was great that we could camp at our place and hunt the WMA. After a long week of not seeing much and some other headaches. Thanks to Jasper for helping me locate a spot on a beautiful oak ridge full of buck sign. Thursday evening I hunted from the ground and at dark, made a big mistake of standing up 1 minute too early and spooking a buck staring at me from 20 yards.:cry: Friday I had to get up and drive back home to go to work, then back to camp after 3 hours in traffic. (headache mentioned earlier). I had one morning hunt left on Saturday. I had decided to just shoot "anything" . As the sun came up, I was up a tree back at the spot I had hunted Thursday evening. At 29 degrees, it was brisk to say the least. Finally at 9:50am a big big doe came in real quick and caught me sitting with my gun across my lap (facing the wrong way). Just when I decided to go ahead and try to get my gun to my left shoulder, the doe turned to look at her backtrail. I stopped cold and sure enough, I could hear him coming down the ridge. He finally ended up only 5 yards from my tree looking at me (or so it seemed.) All the while, I'm trying to get my gun turned and to my left shoulder without him or the doe seeing me. He got nervous and twice jumped alittle ending up at 20 yards broadside. Big mistake! I had to shoot left handed but made a perfect shoulder shot on him. :shoot: The great news is that he ran toward the truck. He wasn't bullwinkle but sometimes, the size of the deer isn't as important as the hunt is. This buck was one of those special ones.

Rum Creek 7 email size 3.jpg

DaGris

Banned
there aint nothing wrong with that.

Hoyt man

congrats on the fine deer. nothin like a good huntin story

Meriwether Mike

Nothing wrong with a good hunt and meat in the freezer. Congrats on the buck!

Lostoutlaw

CONGRATS ON THE BUCK GOOD STORY TO GO ALONG WITH. Now I gotta go and get one:shoot: :shoot:

Uncle T

Good Job!

BB,
Sorry I missed out on the quota selection this year but congrats on a great WMA buck. :banana:

I didn't tell Jasper but I cooked some fish and those famous hush puppies at the Piedmont BO hunt.:cool:

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
great story and great photo to match, congrats!!!

maconducks

nice deer, I hunt across the river bordering piedmont nf. Our clubs are pretty close, been seeing some serious running recently.

Jasper

Great job on a beautiful buck BB! Really enjoyed the camping and fellowship and thanks for all the help with my deer.

BB forgot to mention the best part and we joked about this happening Friday night. He was there to help me with my deer, but I had already headed for home when he killed his. I was right there helping drag in spirit, however! :rofl: :rofl:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Great hunt

and fine buck:yeah:

Thanks for the pic and story, sounds like y'all had a fine time:clap:

Just BB

Great job on a beautiful buck BB! Really enjoyed the camping and fellowship and thanks for all the help with my deer.

BB forgot to mention the best part and we joked about this happening Friday night. He was there to help me with my deer, but I had already headed for home when he killed his. I was right there helping drag in spirit, however! :rofl: :rofl:

Oh I got your Spirits there Jasper, Next time you call me for help I'm thinking twice.....Once to think about driving to help you and once more to walk over to the cooler, grab a "spirit" and walk back to my fire.::ke:

LAKOTA

Nice buck BB. Sure would like to see one like that this week. My father and I were drawn for the Rum Creek hunt, 15-18th. We're heading down earrrrly Tues morning. Brand new for us. Niether of us have ever set foot on the place. Can't wait!