Retired turkey hunter

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ol thirty dollar 12 gauge now is used only for home defense. Decoy, flowerbed adornment, neighbors think it's neat. Ten calls, up on a shelf just to look at. Why did i retire? I've never broken the law hunting turkeys. Usually take three gobblers each season. Personal rule of only one gobbler per day, to make the season last longer. It's a one man stand i'm sure, but i quit because i'm sick of more regulations. Everything is regulated these days, it's nothing more than control. At 74 years of age, i remember when we had less regulation, when the hunt was far more enjoyable. Still thinking about what i might do this coming deer season. Food plots this year will be deer plots. This is not for argument, just how i feel. Wishing all y'all a great season.

Attachments

• A876.jpg
    A876.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,346

MFOSTER

BANNED
Son I'm afraid that the good ole days are gone,I'm just glad I was a part of it, the younger guys have no clue how hard and enjoyable it was.

NUTT

Don't pay it no attention. If you ain't breaking no laws then the regs mean nothing. Respectfully, at your age it's a blessing to have the opportunity just to go. I pray I live to hunt till I'm 74. We need you man! Stay with us.

Garnto88

Its what you make it. I just hunt and enjoy.. I kinda understand where you are coming from but not enough to understand quitting. If I were gonna quit a sport it would be deer not turkeys.. Hunter themselves have ruined deer and turkey hunting.. And the outdoor channel..

OVERULD

I'm 60 years old and just got my first ever turkey this year my friend. I think you are giving in too early. I didn't feel overly regulated in the least. I went to the same lease where I have taken countless deer, and witnessed all three of my sons take their first deer. I was able to take my first turkey without unduly burdensome regulations. I'll bet I got just as big a thrill as you did when you killed your first gobbler. Then, I used a very handy smart phone app to "tag" my kill. It didn't take away from the thrill at all. I sincerely hope you will not give it up if you still have the desire for the thrill of the Hunt. Don't give it up, sir. It is still you against the bird, and he has the odds in his favor!

BJ

Last edited:

six

If you are indeed a turkey hunter, which based on previous posts I'm sure you are, then I bet this is a temporary retirement. If it is permanent then congratulations on an outstanding career. If not, then good luck on the next one once you decide you have to experience it at least one more time!

Toddmann

Man it's a disease. You just think you can quit. I bet you are trembling from DTs right now. Get back out there quick before you hurt yourself. Good luck on your next hunt.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Man it's a disease. You just think you can quit. I bet you are trembling from DTs right now. Get back out there quick before you hurt yourself. Good luck on your next hunt.

My name is elfiii and I am a turkey hunting addict. Please do not attempt to cure me. I'm happy being an addict.:bounce:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Ol thirty dollar 12 gauge now is used only for home defense. Decoy, flowerbed adornment, neighbors think it's neat. Ten calls, up on a shelf just to look at. Why did i retire? I've never broken the law hunting turkeys. Usually take three gobblers each season. Personal rule of only one gobbler per day, to make the season last longer. It's a one man stand i'm sure, but i quit because i'm sick of more regulations. Everything is regulated these days, it's nothing more than control. At 74 years of age, i remember when we had less regulation, when the hunt was far more enjoyable. Still thinking about what i might do this coming deer season. Food plots this year will be deer plots. This is not for argument, just how i feel. Wishing all y'all a great season.

Congrats on your turkey huntin career! My great respects for the knowledge you must have about these heart pounding birds!! I'd love to buy you dinner one night and hear some stories and learn!!!

Just one question is= How much has the regulations changed?
I've been turkey huntin for only 25 years, since I was 15. And other than having to call in to report your bird this year I don't know whats changed.
I'd love to read what you have to say. Thanks!!!!!!:cheers:

joey1919

My name is elfiii and I am a turkey hunting addict. Please do not attempt to cure me. I'm happy being an addict.:bounce:

I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime I want to... I just don't want to

To the OP , do whatever makes you happy. If telecheck had taken the fun out of it for you, pass some knowledge and gear down to a young guy just starting out.

DRBugman85

May my last breath be while a Gobbler struts in range to hear the THUNDER of his gobble and die knowing he may just live for a true turkey hunter to hunt another day and enjoy the benefits of what I've seen and heard for over 52 years. 1 on 1 the heart pounding and the love of the HUNT. Never Never will I stop hunting the WILD TURKEY. ...��

chadf

Was it a green jeans encounter ?
Hate to see you hang it up !

Thrill, I hope no not loose interest in !

bowhunterdavid

My dad is 77 years old and still hunts, he could care less if he kills anything are not, he just enjoys being outdoors and chewing his redman. I hate to see the day he cant go anymore, dont let the regulations bother you, georgia has one of the longest seasons for turkey and deer in the country, i have a friend that lives in utah and he has to draw a tag just to hunt most big game animals.

Killdee

Come on son, it's just tagging turkeys, no big deal, tag it in the field just like a deer, call it in when you get home, done. Don't give up so easy.

Bubba_1122

Unfortunately, when the good ones quit it's a victory for the bureaucrats and the anti's.

I'm 60. I took it up late in life. Wish I'd known the thrill of turkey hunting when I was young so I'd have had more years. It's real hunting. It's a real challenge.

Can't imagine quitting because someone else inconvenienced or annoyed me.

I won't let bureaucrats n politicians dictate to me whether I'm gonna do what I enjoy and love. I'm just not going down that easy.

BBowman

Son, I've been reading your posts for a few years now. If you are half as good at killing turkeys as you are at killing BIG, older age class bucks then you have had one heck of a career. Congrats. I know it's not easy to give it up. When I moved my family into town I purchased the 1 acre lot next to my house, fenced it with 8' game fence and put turkeys in it. Yeah, the neighborhood loved me in the beginning. I just had to hear the spring gobble every morning.

longbearded1

I'm 60 now and hope my last breath is taken as I have just dropped the hammer on a big old gobbler, nothing would make me happier. I do hope that is several years down the road, I won't quit until my dying breath.

Latest posts