Garage Builder issues need input

dbodkin

Continuing with my garage builder from Hades. Some background. The 20x20 garage built with a sloping driveway. When it rains (enter IRMA) water floods under the garage door and under the garage framing that's built on a slab. The idiot didn't install a drain! I have had 3 bids to fix the issues. Cut the concrete in front of the garage including 9' wide door, installing a channel drain piping the water away from the area , fix the concrete. I was floored at the prices from $2800-$3200. So I need input until I sue the Builder From Hades. Any ideas? Alternatives? Something DIY? Thanks folks.

GoldDot40

Continuing with my garage builder from Hades. Some background. The 20x20 garage built with a sloping driveway. When it rains (enter IRMA) water floods under the garage door and under the garage framing that's built on a slab. The idiot didn't install a drain! I have had 3 bids to fix the issues. Cut the concrete in front of the garage including 9' wide door, installing a channel drain piping the water away from the area , fix the concrete. I was floored at the prices from $2800-$3200. So I need input until I sue the Builder From Hades. Any ideas? Alternatives? Something DIY? Thanks folks.

Have you aready discussed the issue with the builder?

B

BornNRaised

Any concrete guy worth his salt could have fixed the issue without a drain. It's called grading! The thing you do before you pour the concrete.... You need to take it up with the Builder/ Concrete guys. putting a lip at the edge of the slab where the driveway meets would have solved the problem too.

Now they are going to have to saw cut and install a trench drain

dbodkin

The builder is history.. non responsive to all methods of contact. I'm seeking revenge now.:banginghe

Backlasher82

I had the same problem when I moved into my new place. I went to HD and picked up some of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Seri...-and-Grate-Kit-with-End-Outlet-864G/100187441

They snap together and have drains built in. Cap off the drains you don't use and connect 4" drain pipe to one end. I borrowed a concrete saw but you can rent them. It took me an afternoon including building up a little lip on the garage side and sealing the drain to the driveway on the uphill side.
Pretty simple fix that's been working great for 12 years including hurricane and flood conditions at the bottom of a steep driveway.

B

BornNRaised

I'm really sorry.

Are you handy??

White cap supply sells trench drains, you could sawcut and install one yourself??

GA native

If he hasn't been paid yet, then you have some leverage. If he really is from Hades, he will threaten a lien on your property. This is where documentation comes in. Lots of 8x10 glossy photos of the flooded garage, mold and mildew from the flood, and pics of the driveway showing the judge what the problem is. And some written bids from other reputable contractors stating the problem and the fix.

As for DIY, a drain isn't too hard. You take a diamond blade wet cut concrete saw, and cut out a channel in front of the door. Bust out the concrete, dig out a trench, install the drain, and pipe the water away from the barn. Cut the channel 1/2" over the drain and seal that 1/4" gap on either side with several tubes of silicone. A good six hour job.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Seri...-and-Grate-Kit-with-End-Outlet-864G/100187441

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Did you have ANY discussions with your builder on this subject BEFORE you started this project? I had the same POTENTIAL issue when I built mine last year. A simple survey and discussion with the concrete Foreman alieviated the potential problem at the start. If you DID NOT discuss this not sure you have any recourse against the builder. Maybe better off just taking matters in your own hands and fixing it yourself and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Otherwise you may be out even more money pursuing the builder and STILL have to fix it yourself.

dbodkin

If he hasn't been paid yet, then you have some leverage. If he really is from Hades, he will threaten a lien on your property. This is where documentation comes in. Lots of 8x10 glossy photos of the flooded garage, mold and mildew from the flood, and pics of the driveway showing the judge what the problem is. And some written bids from other reputable contractors stating the problem and the fix.

As for DIY, a drain isn't too hard. You take a diamond blade wet cut concrete saw, and cut out a channel in front of the door. Bust out the concrete, dig out a trench, install the drain, and pipe the water away from the barn. Cut the channel 1/2" over the drain and seal that 1/4" gap on either side with several tubes of silicone. A good six hour job.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Seri...-and-Grate-Kit-with-End-Outlet-864G/100187441

I've never been in a situation like this . He did nearly $15K of work and was fine until the last day. He said he would be done that afternoon and wanted paid. I complied. I came home later to the issues. He is non responsive on all attempts to contact for 6 weeks now. I have tons of pictures, estimates from other contractors to fix his problems. The county inspector fluffted it off ad wouldnt come onsite.

Not sure what you mean by him threatening a lien on my property??? I 've never been to small claims court.

The repairs wont be DIY I'm an old goat with arthritis no kneeling or concrete work by me. If and when I sue him it will probably be for revenge. Sorry, but I doubt I'll see a penny.

Thanks for the input folks.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You could build up the concrete under the garage door. (think miniature speed hump) to keep the water from entering under the garage door provided it will drain off in front of the garage door.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Does your garage have an block or concrete apron wall or do the stud walls sit directly on the slab.

My son had the same problem. About an inch slope toward the back of the garage. Had a block apron wall on the garage perimeter. They pour 3" of concrete over the existing garage floor. They put rebar anchors into the existing floor before they poured. And fiber fill concrete.

skiff23

May be as simple as a saw joint or two in front of the door to turn the water. Each situation is different. If all was well till the last day , was this the only problem ?

1gr8bldr

Was the builder in charge of the sloping driveway? It is likely part of the issue. If a drain would fix the problem then it reveals the sloping drive is part of the problem. However, the garage was probably floated off the exterior form boards not tapering the concrete just in front of the door. Did he pour the garage? A drain is not typical. My garage has 3 inch of fall and I still get water inside with a blowing rain. I'm not sure the builder would be responsible for solving your apparent lack of fall of the lot at the garage. Being able to predict the problem and working out a fix at your expense ahead of time would have been best. Yet, I have very little to base this on, only what I see here. He may have promised something before contract that I am not aware of

dbodkin

The driveway of standard width was pre-existing. He built the 20 x 20 slab an added width to the driveway end. A 12 x 10x 18 triangle. Which is a horrible job that solidified real quick and is unfinished. It looks like a grade schooler did it.

The garage door casing, and final trim installation is unfinished with a kludged wooden hanger support for the door rails. Again a school kid could have done better, He has no overhead joist/rafters The building inspector said that no joist was fine. I believe its a substandard building practice.
Finally the side entry door is not adjusted and the deadbolt/lock strike plates aren't installed.

I've had 3 quotes on finishing the door and that ranges from $500-$700 :mad: The concrete work without addressing the drainage is now $300-$400 to fix his mess. So if I do it myself (minus drains) I'm out close to $1000.

I have purchased 20' 2X8 to install a joist system rather they trying to hang the garage door with huge angle stock...

He sent a prospective client to me for reference. I couldnt believe it. The prospect shook his head and got in his truck . Idiot quoted him a large sum to build a 30X30 garage.. He wont get that job.

I'm at the end I just want to finish this, but I promise the rat will pay.

Thanks to all for suggestions... I will probably go with something to divert the water off the driveway (speed bumps) + fix his mess....

Some have asked for pictures. Lets see if I can get this Photobucket slide show to work.
I couldnt get it to embed so here is the link.

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/shoveit_2006/slideshow/garage

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

The driveway of standard width was pre-existing. He built the 20 x 20 slab an added width to the driveway end. A 12 x 10x 18 triangle. Which is a horrible job that solidified real quick and is unfinished. It looks like a grade schooler did it.

The garage door casing, and final trim installation is unfinished with a kludged wooden hanger support for the door rails. Again a school kid could have done better, He has no overhead joist/rafters The building inspector said that no joist was fine. I believe its a substandard building practice.
Finally the side entry door is not adjusted and the deadbolt/lock strike plates aren't installed.

I've had 3 quotes on finishing the door and that ranges from $500-$700 :mad: The concrete work without addressing the drainage is now $300-$400 to fix his mess. So if I do it myself (minus drains) I'm out close to $1000.

I have purchased 20' 2X8 to install a joist system rather they trying to hang the garage door with huge angle stock...

He sent a prospective client to me for reference. I couldnt believe it. The prospect shook his head and got in his truck . Idiot quoted him a large sum to build a 30X30 garage.. He wont get that job.

I'm at the end I just want to finish this, but I promise the rat will pay.

Thanks to all for suggestions... I will probably go with something to divert the water off the driveway (speed bumps) + fix his mess....
Many times the homeowner assumes things that are not. And many times have nonrealistic expectations. However, based on your description, it sounds like it's not you, it sounds like he was just terribly inexperienced. To this I say, live and learn. I hate to be so blunt, but you should have checked him out beforehand, as did the other guy.

rospaw

Dbod, Pic 6..... is that the slab or? is it as ruff as it looks? Would have been my issue from the get go.

Hate to see you get taken!!!! If your in my area would be glad to come give you a hand for free.
Not pouring salt on your wound (well maybe a little) but NEVER EVER pay in full until job is done.
p.s. i know you know that and just ....... that day. All the stars must have been in line!
What area are you in?

edit
Just saw your in Elberton, GA .... few hrs from me

dbodkin

Rospaw Pic #6 is the extension of the pre-existing drive way. The Garage is 20 ' wide and the driveway would have ended at the door edge. So I wanted a sort of pie shape concrete poured to have concrete across the 20' front. It was a hot day . They poured the 20 x 20 slab the garage sits on and by the time they got to the driveway extension the concrete was setting up. It is about 5" thick and rough. They also poured a 24 x12 slab for my rv (trailer) to sit on. It was to be "level" for the RV . It has a 4 inch slope Y axis and 5" X axis. No control cuts on it I'm getting someone to cut it so it doesnt crack on its own. Another example of this guys ineptitude . I did check him out and used a "Homeadvisor" in my search. He must have had relatives give reviews. I know I shouldnt have paid the last installment but in my defense he said he would be done that afternoon... He went with the check and thats the last of him..... I'm still leaving small claims court open just for revenge. He will lose business in court along with bad references and social media reviews.

cowhornedspike

Only question I have is why did you pay him? Those problems, especially the rough concrete and the RV slab you describe, were easily seen well before the last day and you still paid him?? Those aren't things you could have possibly thought he was going to fix on the last day of finishing up. I don't get it I guess.
Either way he did bad work but it is a lot easier to get it made right when you are holding his money rather than trying to get it back from him in small claims court. I wish you luck.

dbodkin

They poured the RV pad in late morning before lunch. I expected him to use his joint tool to make the control cuts and he was to come back after lunch to finish the doors. They were also suppose to take concrete from the RV pad to "skim coat" the driveway section. I did have some trust to the guy he had already done over $8000 worth of metal roofing. Without a hitch. It is a case of me trusting him too much. I'm well aware these guys can take on too much at a time , before finishing whats on their plate. All said and done he weasles out & I foot the bill live & learn.

Latest posts