Silverado vs F150

As an ease of driving thing, I'd look super crew with the shortest bed length and tailgate bed extender. I find mine a lot more maneuverable than my Buddy's with 6.5' bed and mine is even shorter overall than my SIL's Super cab with 6.5' bed.

satchmo

We bought a 2013 F150 four wheel drive this past November. By far a very smooth ride. Even being 8 cylinders it gets an average of 21.3 mpg. We got it mostly for going out of state on. Long trips but it rocks around town too. I've had Chevys and have nothing bad to say about any company's . But the fords just see overall to have a much smoother ride. Very dependable, good on gas. I could go on and on. We had an explorer 96 model that had 307000 miles on it when we sold it. The same I am sure can be expected out of any of the newer fords.

T-N-T

I have a cousin who had a circa 2009 to 11 F-150 with ta V8, he wrecked it and bought a cira 2011 to 13 eco boost. HE claims that after hand calculating both gas mileage the V8 was better on the hwy.....

The Chevy 5.3 problems are coming from the ones that turn from a V8 to a V6 when the extra power is not needed. Not all of them are like that? the 5.3, or 350 is a heck of a motor if it isn't trying to be a 6 cylinder half of the time.

I bleed bowties for personal preference.... But will tell anyone that a ford is a nice truck. They are typically cheaper than a GM when buying identical packages.
Dodges seem to be cheapest out of the three. Especially in resale. I owned a 2007 Ram 1500 for almost 2 years. I replaced a turn signal switch myself for $40.

I owned a 2004 Silverado for nearly 7 years from new. I abused the crap out of it. HArdly changed the oil and never did anything else they recommend. The only problem was a leaky water pump after 110 thousand miles. And a nasty electrical problem that showed up after 150 thousand miles. But I must admit, I drove through a creek that put water over the hood. Twice.

GoldDot40

I wouldn't get a V6. Just about everyone I know who has/had a full size truck with a V6 claimed their fuel mileage wasn't any better than the same size truck with a V8....plus the V6 doesn't pull/haul/tow anywhere as good as a V8.

Just my .02

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
plus the V6 doesn't pull/haul/tow anywhere as good as a V8.

I beg to differ as far as the Ecoboost is concerned. It's the best pull/haul/tow truck I've ever been in that wasn't a diesel.

cmfireman

The chevy 5.3 was an excellent engine until 2007. They put AFM (cylinder deactivation) on it that year and it caused excessive oil consumption.

I had a 07' Silverado with 40k that burned 1qt/3k miles. The interior plastics were also cheap and they have an A/C actuator issue that requires dash removal to fix if it goes. Chevrolet left a very bad taste in my mouth.

My friend has an EcoBoost F150 that he loves, but I wouldn't turn around for the difference in fuel mileage for the proven reliability of the V8.

I personally have a 2010 Ram, and I will drive it until the wheels fall off. The older Rams don't hold a candle to the new 1500's.

Between Ford and Chevy, I would choose Ford.

joey1919

The Chevy 5.3 problems are coming from the ones that turn from a V8 to a V6 when the extra power is not needed. Not all of them are like that? the 5.3, or 350 is a heck of a motor if it isn't trying to be a 6 cylinder half of the time.

The 5.3 is closer to a 327, 5.7 is a 350. But the rest of that is true.

And I know a couple people with the ecoboost and they also report the gas milage is the same or worse than their last V8

lonewolf247

I'm a diehard GM fan, so I'll try to be fair as possible. I've owned a 5.3, and a 4.8, both without AFM(active fuel management), and both engines were flawless!

The early 5.3 didn't have that option, and the 4.8 never offered it. The 4.8 was very easy on fuel, and actually towed fairly well yet still.

I bought a used 2007 gmc 5.3 with AFM, for my son, and I have to say it runs good, and the switching from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder is smooth and works fine, however it does have a little bit of an excessive oil consumption problem. We just have to top off the oil 1-2 times a month.

Anyhow, I think the newer trucks have perfected this system much better and the issues I've heard are the early ones.

If you could swing a 2014 or newer in the Chevy/GMC 1500, that would be the new body style and has a ton of updated improvements. It's really a nice truck!

I honestly believe for your needs, you could probably even go with the V6 option. It still tows almost 8000 lbs.

As far as the fords, I just don't have any feedback. Many folks have had good experiences with them. I suggest you go look at and drive both, Ford and GM.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have a 2000 f150 with 117,000 miles it's been a great truck. I got it before I had kids, and it is a 4 door, but the back doors are the suicide type. This leaves very little leg room for them, and is a pain to get in and out. I would highly recommend a true 4 door truck. Another thing is 4wd, it's one of those things you never really need until you need it. As for which brand? I'm a die hard Ford man, but at the end of the day, it's whatever you feel the most comfortable in.

prydawg

I have a 2014 Silverado and my company truck is a 2010 F150, so I have extensive driving experience with each. No to the Pros and Cons
Silverado:
Pros: Comfortable ride
Good MPG typically average around 21 mgp in the summer and 20 on winter blend fuels.
Inside is spacious, but the Ford does have more interior room.
The seats are more comfortable in the Silverado than the f150
Good power and can haul what I need, but I do not haul much
Bed is 5'5" as I have the crew cab model.
The entertainment system is very user friendly and connects well to blue tooth.
Cons:
The six speed electronic transmission is a little quirky depending on traffic with its up and downshift
AFM: while I have not had any issues with mine, there are some reports our there of the AFM causing oil consumption issues
Not as much room in the back compared to Ford but should be plenty for teenage boys, my 10 mo car seat takes up a lot of space
the back floor board has a hump in it to create room for the drive shaft, and can cause issue if you are trying to haul something flat back there.
The drivers seat loosened up after about 15,000 miles, but was rectified under warranty.
F150
Pros:
plenty on interior room for passengers
My truck is the V8 and has 184,000 miles on it without any major issues besides normal maintenance items, so I cannot speak to the longevity of the EcoBoost.
Ford has a good suspension, but my silverado rides smoother in my opinion
Cons:
The best gas mileage I can get out of it is 17.9 on the highway and that is with the 3.73 rear end so factor that into your calculations, when I pull the golf cart for work, it drops down to 15.5 and that is not in tow/haul mode.
Seats are uncomfortable for longer trips, but that could just be a personal preference but I have heard that from a few of the employees
They tend to have the rear pinion seal on the rear end start weeping around 130,000 miles which isn't a costly repair, but not catching it time can be a costly repair.
The sync entertainment system is not very user friendly, and can take some getting used to when connected to bluetooth
Many have a vibration with the factory tires, and had to have many replaced under warranty

This is not an encompassing review, but just some of my personal experiences and I am neither a ford or chevy proponent, I just happened to get the better deal on the silverado and that is what I went with.

SarahFair

2014s are probably out of my price range.
Im looking to spend around 20k on a vehicle with less than 80k miles (the SO is pushing for less than 70k), we are both probably going to be out on that.

Actually Im probably being unrealistic with what Im wanting as far as "bells and whistles"
I want the duel air, where I can turn the heat on my side and he can run the AC on his. This is one of the biggest problems riding together in the car. Im always cold, hes always hot. :rolleyes:

I really really want a black truck, but Ill look at blue and dark gray.
Not white and not silver (which seems to be the only colors available facepalm:).
Red only if its a good deal I cant pass up.

Cloth seats, which seems to be no problem
One thing I have noticed about these types of cloth seats is most all seem to have weird stains on them. :huh:

Power locks and windows is a must.

Heres a couple Ive found like
Silverados

2010 - 86k miles for $20k
Has a good many bells and whistles, head the black covered break lights and the seats seem to have those weird stains
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=137847027

2013 - 35k miles for $23k
Looks good on the outside, very basic inside, almost to the point it is boring for $23k, but it only has 35k miles
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=133704164

2011 - 72k miles for $23k
Pretty alright on the outside, the interior takes you back a little at first, but maybe itll hide dirt a bit better?? Nothing really special as far as bells and whistles, but it has the duel air
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=125828831

F-150s

2013 - 54k miles for $23k
At least its black, not a big fan of the silver bottom. Nothing really over excites me about it
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=126623252

2013 - 57k mile for 22k
Its okay, its black. Nothing really stands out to me on this one either. There is no bed liner
Its carmax's truck so there is no negotiation on the price
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=134386342

How negotiable are prices usually?
While Im not a great negotiator and the car buying process is very foreign to me, Im not afraid to say no and walk. Its just most of these vehicles are 150 to 200 miles away. I dont want to drive 200 miles for them to be unwilling to negotiate.

If a truck is $23k. I drive it, like it alright, do I throw out a $17k starting point, or is that laughable?

I realize you are looking at crew cabs but to give you an idea, I just sold this one for 18,500 with a brand new set of BFGs on it. 2011 5.3L "all star edition" with 78K on it. EXCELLENT truck. I bought it brand new. Id go Chevrolet but Im biased :biggrin2:

10360190_10204560381625160_1118262269993349534_n.jpg

As far as Ecoboost goes, they have their fair share of problems too. They arent Gods gift to truck engines like people want you to believe. A good friend of mine has a 2013. Its been in and out of the Ford shop since the day he bought it. Transmission problems among a few other things. It gets about 14mpg per gallon respectively

He traded a 5.7L 4X4 Tundra on it and this Ford gets about as bad gas mileage and isnt near the workhouse the Tundra was.

Beautiful truck but its pretty much been a piece of crap its whole life.

Last edited:

lonewolf247

2014s are probably out of my price range.
Im looking to spend around 20k on a vehicle with less than 80k miles (the SO is pushing for less than 70k), we are both probably going to be out on that.

Actually Im probably being unrealistic with what Im wanting as far as "bells and whistles"
I want the duel air, where I can turn the heat on my side and he can run the AC on his. This is one of the biggest problems riding together in the car. Im always cold, hes always hot. :rolleyes:

I really really want a black truck, but Ill look at blue and dark gray.
Not white and not silver (which seems to be the only colors available facepalm:).
Red only if its a good deal I cant pass up.

Cloth seats, which seems to be no problem
One thing I have noticed about these types of cloth seats is most all seem to have weird stains on them. :huh:

Power locks and windows is a must.

Heres a couple Ive found like
Silverados

2010 - 86k miles for $20k
Has a good many bells and whistles, head the black covered break lights and the seats seem to have those weird stains
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=137847027

2013 - 35k miles for $23k
Looks good on the outside, very basic inside, almost to the point it is boring for $23k, but it only has 35k miles
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=133704164

2011 - 72k miles for $23k
Pretty alright on the outside, the interior takes you back a little at first, but maybe itll hide dirt a bit better?? Nothing really special as far as bells and whistles, but it has the duel air
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=125828831

F-150s

2013 - 54k miles for $23k
At least its black, not a big fan of the silver bottom. Nothing really over excites me about it
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=126623252

2013 - 57k mile for 22k
Its okay, its black. Nothing really stands out to me on this one either. There is no bed liner
Its carmax's truck so there is no negotiation on the price
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=134386342

How negotiable are prices usually?
While Im not a great negotiator and the car buying process is very foreign to me, Im not afraid to say no and walk. Its just most of these vehicles are 150 to 200 miles away. I dont want to drive 200 miles for them to be unwilling to negotiate.

If a truck is $23k. I drive it, like it alright, do I throw out a $17k starting point, or is that laughable?

Of your list, I'd be trying to negotiate a deal on that 2013 Chevy with 35k mikes. It's one of the newest models, and has the less mileage. It's also, 4.8L, and won't have the AFM system. The fuel mileage on mine was pretty decent, and and that was a great engine.

Yes it's not the fully loaded model, on the interior, but it's a sharp looking truck, and sometimes simple is better, less to go wrong, without all the digital controls.

As far as buying on that format, I'm not familiar with it, I've bought a couple on eBay, but sorta negotiated the price on the phone with the actual dealers, and made my offers before traveling to Texas, in my case. Both transactions worked out great! I would try to agree on a price before you travel if possible.

AFM is not really something to worry about anymore. Sure, the early ones had problems and burned oil but thats been fixed for several years now. My truck never burned a drop in between oil changes. No one I know that has a 09 or up does either There is also a plug in module that plugs right in under the dash that turns off AFM. Just an FYI

Buzz

Bottom line - Ford and GM make the two most popular vehicles in the US. Both have plenty of fans and plenty of detractors. Both are good vehicles. Both have people that have had problems too. There will always be someone that pulls the "I had brand x it was a piece of crap I'll never have another." Well, considering that both sell 700k plus of their vehicles each year any one person's experience plus all the people you know is statistically irrelevant.

I've had a 2004 FX4 F150 and now I have a 2014 GMC z71 4x4. I like both of them but for different reasons. The FX4 was built like a tank. A more solid feeling vehicle than my GMC. However, the old 5.4L (not the modern 5.0L) felt underpowered and it SUCKED gas. The GMC gets great gas mileage until you hook up my center console boat then it murders a gas tank. The GMC drives more like a car than the F150, better turning radius and a much softer ride. The FX4 suspension was ridiculously heavy which accounted for much of the difference in ride. The seats were better in the Ford and the overall quality of interior materials was higher in the Ford IMO.

I like the powertrain on this GMC better than the Ford, but overall I liked the F150 better. It's just a more solid feeling vehicle and the console design and layout of the interior of the Ford is superior to the GM. If I were buying another one today, I'd buy a Ford with the Coyote 5.0 v8. I just like them a little better, even though I have no plans to get rid of my GMC.

The one funniest thing about my GMC. I'd personally like to kick the engineer in the nuts that designed the placement of the air filter. Good lord, an air filter should NOT be a pain in the butt to remove, but it is!

I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting a good vehicle with GM, Ford, or Ram. My interest in the Tundra is less than zero. Expensive, ugly, horrible gas mileage, poor ergonomics, poorly designed rear seat (if you need the space for cargo), and it can't seem to really decide if it's a half ton or 3/4 ton. It's larger and heavier than the redesigned F150 and GMC but still a lot lighter duty than a Super Duty, etc.

SarahFair

How much difference will there be from truck to truck of the same model?

My sister has the same car as me only a year older, but it drives very different.
My steering is very tight and responsive, its literally like driving a go cart around town. Hers has a lot more give in the steering wheel and it does feel different even riding in it.
Its like mine feels a little more laid back while hers I feel like I cant relax. I feel maybe this has a little bit to do with leather the cheaper leather seats, feeling every bump and wiggle and probably the fact its 4 wheel drive ...and maybe a little of her driving.

So lets say I test drive one of each and decide I like the way one particular brand rides and drives, but Ive found a better deal in another state.
Is there going to be a ton of difference between the trucks?
What would cause those differences?
4wd? Model years?

prydawg

The driveability has a lot do to with how the truck was maintained and the type of driving surfaces it is operating on. A truck with 35K that has been driven hard and off road a lot, will probably drive different than a 50K miles truck that has been mostly highway driving and babied.
I think any thing from 2010 to 2014 F150 should be comparable since the trucks are pretty much the same from year to year.

2007 to 2013 Silverados were the same generation with only slight modification between model years. Even though the AFM seems to have been corrected around 2012.

neither one of my trucks is 4wd so I can't really help with that information.

prydawg

The one funniest thing about my GMC. I'd personally like to kick the engineer in the nuts that designed the placement of the air filter. Good lord, an air filter should NOT be a pain in the butt to remove, but it is!

Tell me about it, 3 bolts come out without issue that fourth one you basically need 2 universal joints for your ratchet to make that one work. It is impossible to get a good grip on the bolt head considering it is sitting at about a 45 degree angle.