Silverado vs F150

Buzz

Tell me about it, 3 bolts come out without issue that fourth one you basically need 2 universal joints for your ratchet to make that one work. It is impossible to get a good grip on the bolt head considering it is sitting at about a 45 degree angle.

A small 8mm ratchet wrench coming in with your left arm under the induction tube gets that aggravating 4th bolt out! I still had to remove the air duct to get the darn thing out of there!

prydawg

A small 8mm ratchet wrench coming in with your left arm under the induction tube gets that aggravating 4th bolt out! I still had to remove the air duct to get the darn thing out of there!

Tried that, but could not get my arm in there, not to mention all my gear wrenches were SAE, but I prevailed just took me a little while.

Robert28

The best thing you can do is email the dealers that have the trucks you are interested in. You're basically negotiating from the comfort of your home. You can also send out a lot of emails to a lot of different dealers with various trucks you're interested in. Some won't play ball, but most will and they'll be beating each other up to get your business. In the end, all you have to do is show up and test drive the truck you want once you pick the one you like at the deal you're comfortable with. However, and there's always a however, be prepared for them to try to upsell you on warranties and maintenance plans and other do-dads once you get in the dealership. They're trying to make their money back they knocked off the price, just keep saying "no" like a robot.

GoldDot40

I beg to differ as far as the Ecoboost is concerned. It's the best pull/haul/tow truck I've ever been in that wasn't a diesel.

That's not exactly apples to apples is it? I should have clarified. Any naturally aspirated V8 will pull/haul/tow better than any naturally aspirated V6.

But if you want to go there, slap a Pro Charger on a GM 5.3 truck and watch it out perform an Eco boost at every level.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Any naturally aspirated V8 will pull/haul/tow better than any naturally aspirated V6.

Of course, but I thought the previous conversation had cast doubt on the pulling power of the Ecoboost.

T-N-T

The 5.3 is closer to a 327, 5.7 is a 350. But the rest of that is true.

And I know a couple people with the ecoboost and they also report the gas milage is the same or worse than their last V8

Yeah, I got ahead of myself there...

Also, I hear if one turbo dies, it kills the other one fast if not repaired. So, an expensive fix could really expensive fast on that.

lonewolf247

How much difference will there be from truck to truck of the same model?

My sister has the same car as me only a year older, but it drives very different.
My steering is very tight and responsive, its literally like driving a go cart around town. Hers has a lot more give in the steering wheel and it does feel different even riding in it.
Its like mine feels a little more laid back while hers I feel like I cant relax. I feel maybe this has a little bit to do with leather the cheaper leather seats, feeling every bump and wiggle and probably the fact its 4 wheel drive ...and maybe a little of her driving.

So lets say I test drive one of each and decide I like the way one particular brand rides and drives, but Ive found a better deal in another state.
Is there going to be a ton of difference between the trucks?
What would cause those differences?
4wd? Model years?

In general, vehicles of the same make and model should handle the same, given the tires, suspension, engine, transmission, etc, all being equal. Now if you start comparing single cabs, to extra cabs, and to crew cabs, I'd expect differences. Also I'd think you see noticible differences, between a Ford and a Chevy, even if both were in a crew cab configuration. Not saying one over the other, but different.

The differences you are mentioning would be due to mileage, wear and tear, or other reasons, but in general apples to apples they should relatively be the same.

As far as 4x4 in the GM, or the Ford, from what I've heard, I haven't heard any particular ones to avoid in the last few years.

For me 4x4 was a must have, but honestly, if you don't need it, you might not want to get it. It will drive the purchase price up pretty substantially. It does seem to hold the resale value better, but the up front cost may force you to compromise elsewhere, to stay in the neighborhood of $20,000.

For longevity, it might be best to buy the newest year model, with the less mileage, and pass on the 4x4, and some of the bells and whistles, in order to get the best truck, for your money.

Anyhow, just some ideas.....

Last edited:

satchmo

F-150

My F-150 is a four wheel drive ,which is an absolute must for me. I drove up to Ky today and took a picture of my time it took me to get here for a buddy. The gas mileage is normally a little better, but I didn't buy it with gas anything in mind. Just a dependable truck with an ultra smooth ride. We also have a Dodge Ram four wheel drive 2013 we got in April which is also a smooth ride, but not as smooth and I am pretty sure they are all about the same on gas. We drive a lot to hunt. I drive 300 miles a day doing HVAC service work all over Atlanta, so a comfortable ride is as important as dependability. In all the trucks mentioned it would be a hard pick for anybody. Except me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 159

valiant

Try a dodge

Try a dodge quad cab 1500 before you make a decision! I just bought a 2010 & love it. Always owned GM, drove 2 fords while shopping around but was sold after driving a Dodge. Rides & drives better than any truck I've ever owned!!

SarahFair

I just looked at the dodges and they seem to have really small back seats. There was one I found with a larger back seat, it was a 2013 I think, but it was leather seats and over $30k

Jim Baker

Staff member
The best thing you can do is email the dealers that have the trucks you are interested in. You're basically negotiating from the comfort of your home. You can also send out a lot of emails to a lot of different dealers with various trucks you're interested in. Some won't play ball, but most will and they'll be beating each other up to get your business. In the end, all you have to do is show up and test drive the truck you want once you pick the one you like at the deal you're comfortable with. However, and there's always a however, be prepared for them to try to upsell you on warranties and maintenance plans and other do-dads once you get in the dealership. They're trying to make their money back they knocked off the price, just keep saying "no" like a robot.

This is true. Bought my current truck and never left home. Found it on line at a dealer about 50 miles away.
Sent in my info. The dealer called me in about an hour. Brought the truck to my home left it over the weekend.

I called them on Monday. We came to and understanding, they sent a guy with the papers on Tuesday. He went back with a check and I had a new truck. It was to easy.

But I already knew what I wanted and that was what I searched for. When you decide on a model. Get online and search. You can cover a lot more ground.

chris41081

There are more than enough opinions on here. Only thing I would add is that 4 wheel drive is a big help in resale value .

Backlasher82

I really really want a black truck, but Ill look at blue and dark gray.
Not white and not silver (which seems to be the only colors available facepalm:).
Red only if its a good deal I cant pass up.

Black looks really great when it's clean but every dust spec shows when it isn't spotless. Black also makes every scratch, scrape and ding stand out like a sore thumb. Things that wouldn't even show on a lighter color make a black truck look like it's been bet to death.

660griz

I just looked at the dodges and they seem to have really small back seats. There was one I found with a larger back seat, it was a 2013 I think, but it was leather seats and over $30k

They do. However, I am never in the back seat. :)
You have to go to the Mega Cab to get a roomy back seat.

Black is the prettiest, white is the most practical. I got black. Black motorcycle too. Wife's car is black. Glutton for punishment.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
There are more than enough opinions on here. Only thing I would add is that 4 wheel drive is a big help in resale value .

GM ='s best resale value and longevity. Owned and driven 'em all.

SarahFair

Black looks really great when it's clean but every dust spec shows when it isn't spotless. Black also makes every scratch, scrape and ding stand out like a sore thumb. Things that wouldn't even show on a lighter color make a black truck look like it's been bet to death.

They do. However, I am never in the back seat. :)
You have to go to the Mega Cab to get a roomy back seat.

Black is the prettiest, white is the most practical. I got black. Black motorcycle too. Wife's car is black. Glutton for punishment.
I currently have a black vehicle, thats never washed. :rolleyes:

I think white looks dirty all the time as well if not continuously washed.
My driveway is really long and dirt and I drive down dirt roads pretty regularly..
White is not for me. The black gets dirty and stays pretty dirty, but I still like it.
....and if my kids even look at my new vehicle they are in trouble. :whip:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I currently have a black vehicle, thats never washed. :rolleyes:

I think white looks dirty all the time as well if not continuously washed.
My driveway is really long and dirt and I drive down dirt roads pretty regularly..
White is not for me. The black gets dirty and stays pretty dirty, but I still like it.
....and if my kids even look at my new vehicle they are in trouble. :whip:

Silver is the answer!