Help picking out some sinking flies to target deep n ga trout

firebreather

Wen fishing the other day ,found lots of trout , to no avail I went back to the truck n got my tfo 9ft fly rod ,and threw everything in my fly box , only one would sink and that was a cricket looking fly ,but they didn't want it , these trout were in 18 in of water on the river floor , I even added some weight to my line 16 in up from my fly , but was thinking there are more sinking wet flies or nymphs I can order , any favorites that you'd recommend? I do know it's all about presentation

centerpin fan

My knowledge of trout fishing would fit on a #14 Adams, but here are a few standard nymphs:

Prince
Pheasant tail
Gold-ribbed hare's ear

Throw in some Y2K bugs, rainbow warriors, and bead-head woolly buggers.

TheTroutWhisperer

Go to Cabelas website and look for the Golden Jigstone. Its gets down fast and works great during the cold weather months. Also try to go with fluorocarbon tippet. Its expensive in the stores but there are websites you can get it very reasonable.

fishndoc

On your next trip, I would stop by the local fly shop. They will not only sell you the right flies, but more importantly, show you how to set up your rig to get the flies down to the fish, and how to detect strikes when they occur.

centerpin fan

Wen fishing the other day ,found lots of trout , to no avail I went back to the truck n got my tfo 9ft fly rod ,and threw everything in my fly box , only one would sink and that was a cricket looking fly ,but they didn't want it , these trout were in 18 in of water on the river floor , I even added some weight to my line 16 in up from my fly , but was thinking there are more sinking wet flies or nymphs I can order , any favorites that you'd recommend? I do know it's all about presentation

I just reread this and noticed the "18 inches deep" part. Eighteen inches is not what I would call deep water. I suspect the depth of your fly is not the issue in this case. Take fishndoc's advice and get some good instruction on your rig and how to get a "drag free" float. If the fly does not look natural, changing the depth will not help.

IvyThicket

This time of year, I love midges. Fish them as a tandem, I usually throw size 20 Zebra with a Blood Midge trailing. Use shot between them so they'll go through the water column in a 'V' pattern.

With being warmer, I would also keep you an entire box full of Wolly Buggers and conventional nymphs. Hairs Ears, Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tail, Girdle Bug, Pats Rubber Legs. Any of those should and will do the trick if presented correctly.

Meriwether Mike

Was the area they were holding in ripple water or slow moving water? A tungsten beaded fly will get that deep in an instant. Place the fly under a strike indicator at double the water depth. Be sure and cast far enough above the fish to get the flies down to where you need them before you get past where they are holding. You will also need to do an upstream mend of the line so the drift is drag free. If your fly is not ticking the bottom go deeper on where the indicator is till it is. If you are getting hung up go shallower. Once you achieve this then you can figure out what they are feeding on. Usually it is a fly you do not have.:D

Bream Pole

Go to Cabelas website and look for the Golden Jigstone. Its gets down fast and works great during the cold weather months. Also try to go with fluorocarbon tippet. Its expensive in the stores but there are websites you can get it very reasonable.

I went to Cabela's and looked under "jigstone" and found it. Two colors gold and black. I don't trout fish because live in S. Ga and rarely get to mountains. But they looked great for bream and shellcrackers so I ordered black and gold. We'll see . . .

firebreather

Was the area they were holding in ripple water or slow moving water? A tungsten beaded fly will get that deep in an instant. Place the fly under a strike indicator at double the water depth. Be sure and cast far enough above the fish to get the flies down to where you need them before you get past where they are holding. You will also need to do an upstream mend of the line so the drift is drag free. If your fly is not ticking the bottom go deeper on where the indicator is till it is. If you are getting hung up go shallower. Once you achieve this then you can figure out what they are feeding on. Usually it is a fly you do not have.:D

Yea maybe I need to use a strike indicator , but haven't been because I can see my flys in the water with my Costas,
But as being new to fly fishing , my technique is I have been slowly wading
Up the river till I see the fish then stop and cast 25 to 30 ft up and let my fly float down , till it floated thru the fish, every time I tried to get up stream some they would shoot down stream , the water was crystal clear and no ripples at all , almost still , not like most rivers I fish ,there were holes that were 4 ft deep but locals said the water was down , but the fish weren't really in those spots , I did learn to side cast tho because alot of the areas were to tight to cast an over head cast , really enjoying the fly rod tho ,I know I got a lot to learn

TheTroutWhisperer

Paddler, All I use are the Gold. For faster deep water when you need to get it down quick these are great. Even better they are also barbless.

centerpin fan

Yea maybe I need to use a strike indicator , but haven't been because I can see my flys in the water with my Costas,
But as being new to fly fishing , my technique is I have been slowly wading
Up the river till I see the fish then stop and cast 25 to 30 ft up and let my fly float down , till it floated thru the fish, every time I tried to get up stream some they would shoot down stream , the water was crystal clear and no ripples at all , almost still , not like most rivers I fish ,there were holes that were 4 ft deep but locals said the water was down , but the fish weren't really in those spots , I did learn to side cast tho because alot of the areas were to tight to cast an over head cast , really enjoying the fly rod tho ,I know I got a lot to learn

Are you near a fly shop or a guide service? You would learn so much from a day or half day with a good guide. It would cut your learning curve by at least 50%.

firebreather

Are you near a fly shop or a guide service? You would learn so much from a day or half day with a good guide. It would cut your learning curve by at least 50%.

NO fly shop around me but there is a guide I'm looking at on the soque for an half a day

swampstalker24

sounds to me if you could get in there and make a cast without spooking them you could have some fun.. wear camo next time and sneak up on them from the bank and not the water. But usually if you can see them, they can see you..... Also, since its slow moving water I'd definitely try a red midge of some kind.

Killer Kyle

My favorites are
1) WD-40 SIZE 18-20 (behind a split shot)
2) Waltz Worm (black bead head)
3) Olive Mohair Leech sometimes with a bead head, and sometimes without.
4) Girdle Bug
If you are fishing to picky fish, tiny is your best bet. I often run a two fly rig with a #20 WD-40, and a #22 WD-40 below it. The smaller and more natural it is, the more difficult it is for fish to scrutinize

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you can see fish, they can see you. If you can see your fly underwater, you are way too close.

IvyThicket

If you can see fish, they can see you. If you can see your fly underwater, you are way too close.

I've caught many a fish sight fishing that had no clue I was there. I will agree with you on the fly however. I've never caught a fish on a nymph I could actually see moving through the water.

firebreather

Thanks for the input , I was,wearing brown waders n camo jacket . Don't understand how the fish can see me if I'm behind them by at least 10 ft , and they face upstream

swampstalker24

Thanks for the input , I was,wearing brown waders n camo jacket . Don't understand how the fish can see me if I'm behind them by at least 10 ft , and they face upstream

Remember moving through the water causes ripples that they can see/feel as well as sound.... Very hard not to spook trout while wading in calm water. Also be mindful of your shadow.. it'll spook them every time. I'd focus more on perfecting a long cast for these fish than trying to sneak in close.