Ever been hooked while fishing?(video)

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
And that didn't?:D

Once that big ole yellow cat got off, it wasn't to bad. I could not push it through though, had to make an incision and that did hurt. Sniped the barb off, backed off, tied on another 10/0 and went back to fishin. When I got home I squeezed hydrogen peroxide in one hole till it came out the other, it healed up fine and quick.

Sterling

Once that big ole yellow cat got off, it wasn't to bad. I could not push it through though, had to make an incision and that did hurt. Sniped the barb off, backed off, tied on another 10/0 and went back to fishin. When I got home I squeezed hydrogen peroxide in one hole till it came out the other, it healed up fine and quick.

Ooo-weee, that is bad, but glad you were able to get it out and back to fishing.

Scout'nStripers

That right there wins the annual "Rub Some Dirt On It" while fishing award. It's got my little pesky #4 trebles in the thumb beat.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The wife and I stopped at a park on lake Norris near Knoxville one afternoon and I decided to throw a rooster tail a few times. I hung up on the first cast. As I was pulling on it, came loose and sailed by me, hitting wife who had walked up behind me, and firmly planted itself in her neck. We had to go to the emergency room to have it removed. She was not pleased with having to sit in the waiting roomwith the lure hanging out of her neck.

needmotime2fish

I was using a Sabiki rig to catch bait fish off the big pier at Panama City Beach, and hauled in 4 or 5 at once. While unhooking one of them another fish flopped and buried a hood into my finger.
I cut that hook off the rig, pushed the hook around and out through the skin, then cut off the barb and backed it out. I rinsed it off at the tap at the fish cleaning station (using "clean" salt water from the Gulf -- LOL), wrapped it in a rag until it stopped bleeding, then went back to fishing.
The only time it actually hurt was while the fish were flopping --
before I cut the hook off the Sabiki rig.

Fortunately I don't have video, but about a month ago I got one hook from a set of trebles stuck in my chest when the tree sent it back to me. I cut the hook from the Pop R, but could not pull it out or push it through, so I just continued fishing for about 3 hours. When I got home the hook had pulled itself under the skin and I could not find it. I went to urgent care to get a tetanus shot. The doctor thought she could easily get it out so she cut and dug around awhile but could not find the hook. They did an xray to verify it was in there(like I would make that up!). So I went to see a surgeon who in office cut it open again but failed to locate it. A week later the surgeon got it out with the aid of a fluoroscope. My mistake was not cutting off the other two barbs and leaving the entire hook sticking out. But then that would have interfered with my casting.

We were fishing a pond and my dad was throwing a rapala broke back with 4 sets of trebles. He hung it in a Willow tree and snatched. It came back and hit him in the top lip. It looked like a mustache. After my brother and I stopped laughing we took him to the small hospital where we lived. Those idiots tried to clean the wound with cotton pads and iodine. After he cussed them out for getting the pads hung up he had my brother get a pair of dykes and pushed the hooks through till the barb came through and he cut them loose.

Bubba_1122

Got handcuffed last year.

Fishing at St George Island and had birds diving on bait fish that were being pushed to the top. Caught a fish and had in the boat on a Mirrolure. Got one of the treble hooks hooked very deep in the fatty pad on my right hand. Fish was on the hook flopping and needed to get it off. Got careless and got my left hand hooked as well (just as deep). Thankfully had my wife with me, who took the fish off, took pair of needle nose pliers and yanked the hook backwards out of my right hand and then I pushed the other hook through my left hand, cut it and got it off.

If I'd a been fishing by myself it would have been a mess (almost was anyway, because I tried to rip the hooks out of my hand - glad didn't rip ligaments, etc out of there).

When it was all done and blood all over the boat my wife asked if I were going to the doctor. Told her heck no - I was going fishing.

I have a pretty high level of respect for treble hooks these days.

Browniez

Had a good brown hang set up of huge trebles up my index finger and ring finger last week at the white river.

Girlfriend was with me and was so freaked out she wasn't much help. Somehow I got the fish off the front treble.

Didn't have enough room to push either one through. Ended up just pulling them back out. Made the next 2 days of cranking fun!

Sterling

Had a good brown hang set up of huge trebles up my index finger and ring finger last week at the white river.

Girlfriend was with me and was so freaked out she wasn't much help. Somehow I got the fish off the front treble.

Didn't have enough room to push either one through. Ended up just pulling them back out. Made the next 2 days of cranking fun!

Owww! That stung for sure.

Sterling

This is how we had to remove my buddy's hook, but fortunately for him the hook had already pass through past the barb. Funny thing was he said it hurt less than having a hook he had in his hand. Guess all the nerves in the hand make it more painful. Ouch!

whchunter

Hank Parker

Just saw a recent HP TV video this weekend and he had one caught in his forearm. He called the camera man over and had him remove it. He was really cool about it and didn't hardly flinch when it was removed.

FishingAddict

Been hooked several times:

Once in the hand while using treble hooks while topwater bass fishing at dark. While getting the fish off, it jumped, hooked me, and started dancing the pain dance. Got it out with out medical help. I knew my mom was a liberal when she said "poor fish!"

Reached behind me in my kayak to get a lure out of my box. Lure got caught in my hand and on the bungie cord while in a river. This really was a problem. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I couldn't really paddle to well with one hand. I didn't really know how to get out of the situation. I finally figured out how to paddle over to about knee deep water and jump out. Could have been worse.

Took some co-workers fishing on Coosa for striper in my boat. Let them fish with live bait, but threw a jerk bait just to keep my occupied. Moved spots once. Threw the anchor. While the anchor was in mid-air, it stopped suddenly and sank. Not all the way, mind you, the rope was attached to my 7 inch jerk bait...and my right hand. Drove the boat and the car back with it in my hand. Needed medical help to get that one out.

Sterling

Been hooked several times:

Once in the hand while using treble hooks while topwater bass fishing at dark. While getting the fish off, it jumped, hooked me, and started dancing the pain dance. Got it out with out medical help. I knew my mom was a liberal when she said "poor fish!"

Reached behind me in my kayak to get a lure out of my box. Lure got caught in my hand and on the bungie cord while in a river. This really was a problem. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I couldn't really paddle to well with one hand. I didn't really know how to get out of the situation. I finally figured out how to paddle over to about knee deep water and jump out. Could have been worse.

Took some co-workers fishing on Coosa for striper in my boat. Let them fish with live bait, but threw a jerk bait just to keep my occupied. Moved spots once. Threw the anchor. While the anchor was in mid-air, it stopped suddenly and sank. Not all the way, mind you, the rope was attached to my 7 inch jerk bait...and my right hand. Drove the boat and the car back with it in my hand. Needed medical help to get that one out.

That last hook set had to make your head spin. Ouch! :hair:

fishman01

Got this one two years ago. Fishing partner had cut his popping cork off along with the leader and hook and left it in the bottom of the boat. During travel to the next fishing spot, the hook got caught in the anchor line. When I tossed out the anchor, it buried that hook all the way to the bone and almost snatched me off the boat.

6se7he.jpg

basshappy

BANNED
Yak fishing with a mate of mine in N Ga. Just a regular bit of fishing - downpour followed by sun followed by downpour, etc. You get the idea.

I tossed this little diddy up into the trees as I often do. And sure as you can see upon repeatedly pulling back this lure LAUNCHED from its perch high in the tree straight on back toward me. Now as I sat in my yak tugging on the line to free the lure I felt it break free. And I had just enough time to realize "this thing is gonna bury itself in my head" which caused me to snap my head sideways just in the nick of time. The missile missed its intended target, my eye, and embedded where you see it. You trace that line around to the front of my noggin and my left eye would have been the unhappy landing pad.

I realize I can't pull it out without getting stupid so I paddled back around the island to my mate and asked him how his luck has fared. A few dinks he said. He asked me about my luck and I said "man I landed a monster!" He got wide eyed super excited thinking I landed a big bass until I turned sideways and showed him my prize for stupidity. He started yanking on it on the water, our yaks rocking back and forth and I started thinking one or both of us are going overboard. So we moved to dry land, grabbed the pliers, and gave a real hard yank. I felt my scalp lift off my skull and then we were back at it on the water soon after.
hookhead_zpsiob6rgbk.jpg

Sterling

Got this one two years ago. Fishing partner had cut his popping cork off along with the leader and hook and left it in the bottom of the boat. During travel to the next fishing spot, the hook got caught in the anchor line. When I tossed out the anchor, it buried that hook all the way to the bone and almost snatched me off the boat.

Oh man! Did you go to the hospital to get it removed or do it yourself?