Pretty stinging indictment on the Church in America

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
... and on my dad's side of the family, on family land with family name...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170619-130232.jpg
    Screenshot_20170619-130232.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 287

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCHillbilly...
Does this look familiar to you? Probably spent more Sundays in this little (Rockwood Methodist) church than in all others combined...
Grandpa mowed the lawn there for years when I was little.
Still a Methodist at heart. I believe you will get to where you need to be according to the 'method' in which you live your life.:flag:

About fifteen minutes from where I live. I recognized the pic.

Edit: I drove by it this afternoon.

Bones

This is what I believe. First God owns everything. Everything I have God has allowed me to have. I give my tithes to church I go to. The money is not given to the church. The money 10 per cent is given to God. Besides my tithe I also support many of the ministries our church has. We have a young lady who is a missionary for instance that my wife and I support. The money is given to God but picked up by man. If it is not used right God will take care of that. I do not worry about the giving God will take care of it. I believe that by not tithing you are missing out on many blessings from God. Just think if most people were debt free how much more money could be used for Gods word. My wife and I are debt free and all the money would have to spend on house payment, car payments, CREDIT CARDS and other material things we can now freely use to support different ministries. Just my thought. Besides I have a home waiting for me in heaven.

Steve

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
This is what I believe. First God owns everything. Everything I have God has allowed me to have. I give my tithes to church I go to. The money is not given to the church. The money 10 per cent is given to God. Besides my tithe I also support many of the ministries our church has. We have a young lady who is a missionary for instance that my wife and I support. The money is given to God but picked up by man. If it is not used right God will take care of that. I do not worry about the giving God will take care of it. I believe that by not tithing you are missing out on many blessings from God. Just think if most people were debt free how much more money could be used for Gods word. My wife and I are debt free and all the money would have to spend on house payment, car payments, CREDIT CARDS and other material things we can now freely use to support different ministries. Just my thought. Besides I have a home waiting for me in heaven.

Steve

All good points, BUT I do (not really worry) about where the money goes. I try to make sure it's going to where it will be used wisely. Don't really have to worry about it at my church, but if I was at a church that just spent money on itself, or tended to spend money on itself, I would worry.

Last edited:

ddd-shooter

Where is the tithe found in the New Testament?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I just happen to believe we will give an account of EVERY penny that passes through our hands.
Was it used to help others or further the kingdom, or was it used selfishly?

hobbs27

Where is the tithe found in the New Testament?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I just happen to believe we will give an account of EVERY penny that passes through our hands.
Was it used to help others or further the kingdom, or was it used selfishly?

It's not, the New Covenant doesn't have a levitical priesthood to support and feed.

I want to say, it is wise to financially support any organization you believe in or participate in, but the biblical definition of tithing is not giving 10% of your income to the denomination of your choice.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Can't put a price tag on The Catholic Church.
And.. It's the most charitable organization the world has ever known.
Keep in mind, USA goober*ment was not in the charity business until
the 20th century.

Most all the artifacts and ECW's writings can not be bought. The basis for most "forms" of Christianity.

After all, It IS the church, founded by Christ Himself.

Footnote:

I'm not rich or poor. Liquid, not a lot, paper, assets that can go liquid fast, Im good.
What I put in the plate
is what I can do. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes
it's only a few bucks.

I don't follow the 10% deal. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

AND I'm a hard right CONSERVATIVE, I worked for every dime except when my parents helped me out as a kid.
Co-signing loans, helping me build my credit at the age of 15. I'm pushing 54 now as of November.

So, any church that can't stand on it's own don't need subsidies from me.

I get the impression you have a very narrow view of The Church. Do you not feel that it consist of believers in Christ worldwide?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I get the impression you have a very narrow view of The Church. Do you not feel that it consist of believers in Christ worldwide?

I believe the church consist of many that "say" they believe in Christ, that would like to "believe" they believe in Christ, but are grossly incapable of making the sacrifices necessary to truly believe in Christ and walk that walk.

Despite what they say and claim to believe and even proclaim, their personal lives prove otherwise.

Rich M

Be careful that you don't judge yourself like you judge others. It is tough not to judge others and compare with all "i" do. Not everyone has to think the same as we were not all called to be the same, but to be part of the body.

In the NT Christ told the Pharisees that they should tithe and have justice mercy & compassion.

The tithing in the OT is broken down into giving to God but then a portion was often consumed by the giver after the priests took a share. Remember they weren't a money culture - crops, livestock, etc. All those sacrifices needed animals, bread needed wheat, etc. There is a section that talks about selling your offering - the animals/wheat/fabric/etc. and taking money to the feasts, buying whatever you wanted once you got there...

Every 3 years folks were supposed to give an extra 10% to the local priests, widows, and orphans. So, they would have food.

There is no temple except our hearts, we no longer travel to celebrate the Feasts of God at the temple. So, those giving laws are null at this time. That leaves us with 10% every 3 years. Funny how the churches miss that. Don't believe me - read your Bible, that's what it is there for. This part would be in the OT.

IMO, the folks giving in the NT are giving to the cause out of the goodness of their hearts - to support Paul, Timothy, etc. It isn't from a tithe.

Last edited:

rjcruiser

In both instances members volunteered their time and resources leaving very little to be financed allowing us to keep all our financial resources going out to missions.

I'm curious....does this volunteering of time & resources count towards one's 10% gross? Or is that above and beyond?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
one verse keeps popping up in my mind....

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Matt 5:17

you might want to tie 16 and 18 with it for context.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
one verse keeps popping up in my mind....

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Matt 5:17

you might want to tie 16 and 18 with it for context.
Via translation in the interlinear scripture, by fulfill the literal meaning is they are complete, they have been satisfied. By His sacrifice we are no longer bound to live by those laws but ARE to respect them as to what their purpose was for.

Israel

BANNED
Via translation in the interlinear scripture, by fulfill the literal meaning is they are complete, they have been satisfied. By His sacrifice we are no longer bound to live by those laws but ARE to respect them as to what their purpose was for.

well said

StriperAddict

This,

hobbs27

He's spot on! I hope his message convicts the hearts of those that want to place sin on the brethren.. and those that have a want to return to law.

SemperFiDawg

I'm curious....does this volunteering of time & resources count towards one's 10% gross? Or is that above and beyond?

You missed it. We volunteered so that the money going out didn't diminish.

SemperFiDawg

It always amazes me the excuses people come up with for NOT tithing or not tithing 10%. Bottom line is in Acts the believers sold everything and became communal yet I haven't heard one person offer up that. Wonder why? Yeah but, but, but........

SemperFiDawg

It's not, the New Covenant doesn't have a levitical priesthood to support and feed.

You're 100% correct. We have a WORLD of suffering lost souls to support and feed physically and spiritually.

SemperFiDawg

I believe the church consist of many that "say" they believe in Christ, that would like to "believe" they believe in Christ, but are grossly incapable of making the sacrifices necessary to truly believe in Christ and walk that walk.

Despite what they say and claim to believe and even proclaim, their personal lives prove otherwise.

"Sacrifices" as in tithing 10% minimal?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
some Acts 5 happening in the church would sure get some attention now days. People getting struck dead for lying would sure make for a sober service