Band Saw?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Thinking Santa might get me a band saw. Was looking at the Wen model 3962 or the Rikon 10-305.

Any thoughts on either? Other models?
Trying to stay low $$$ because it will only be a hobby thing.

I liked the Wen because it comes with a stand, has two speeds and a greater depth of cut ability. BUT the Rikon has a faster speed.
Only plan on cutting wood, no metal.
Thanks

NOYDB

BANNED
Lean towards the Wen. Greater cutting depth is something you may need.

I promise you, you will never utter the words "I wish my band saw was faster".

Warning: A lot of nine fingered shop teachers got that way by being careless with a band saw. The cutting motion pulls the stock into the blade. Which can also pull in the hand supposed to control the cut. It only takes a fraction of a second.

bassboy1

Based on specs I'm reading, I'd lean towards the Rikon - slightly more powerful motor.

The additional resaw capacity isn't going to be very useful in a saw that size, as it simply doesn't have the motor strength or frame strength to realistically resaw thicker material.

If you thought you had a need to cut foam or something, the thicker capacity suddenly makes sense, but for wood, I'd lean towards more power.

If it's just a budget limitation, and not a space limitation, see if you can't find a used Delta 14" saw. A lot of times you can get those for around the same money, and it's 50 times more saw.

madsam

18" Rikon ,Check out Highland Woodworking online.
They often have Rikon bandsaws on sale.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Based on specs I'm reading, I'd lean towards the Rikon - slightly more powerful motor.

If it's just a budget limitation, and not a space limitation, see if you can't find a used Delta 14" saw. A lot of times you can get those for around the same money, and it's 50 times more saw.

I saw HP listed on one but not the other brand, seems like they were the same amp so I figured they were about the same power, haven't found a used one yet.

18" Rikon ,Check out Highland Woodworking online.
They often have Rikon bandsaws on sale.

Little more $$$ than moma will pay santa ;)

K80Shooter

There's an auction coming up in Lavonia on the 4th. Who knows might be one there.

Also a used 14" Grizzly would be nice if you could find one.

bassboy1

I saw HP listed on one but not the other brand, seems like they were the same amp so I figured they were about the same power, haven't found a used one yet.

HP is an oft abused term when it comes to electric motors. So much so that it should be ignored.

When I glanced at the specs, I saw one was 3.5 amps, and the other 4.5.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
HP is an oft abused term when it comes to electric motors. So much so that it should be ignored.

When I glanced at the specs, I saw one was 3.5 amps, and the other 4.5.

use the amp draw to determine the HP. lots of places that use terms like "develops up to x.x HP" just a come on number that really doesn't mean anything.

One horsepower @ 220VAC = 7amps, rule of thumb. Looks like the Rikon 18 draws 11 amps max, so that puts it around 1.75hp

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I really need to stay 8 amp or less based on where it would go.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
There's an auction coming up in Lavonia on the 4th. Who knows might be one there.

Also a used 14" Grizzly would be nice if you could find one.

my postcard notice said there would be no small equipment at this auction. Cars,trucks,tractors,trailers and equipment are the only things they are taking in from what I understand

K80Shooter

my postcard notice said there would be no small equipment at this auction. Cars,trucks,tractors,trailers and equipment are the only things they are taking in from what I understand

You are correct, I only read "auction" - "date" & "location" & left it at that.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I have another saw 8 amp 110 that will dim the lights a little when I have all the lights etc on. So I figured if I stay 8/110 or below I should be ok.

K80shooter or anyone else, have you been to the auction on Thursdays in Lavonia. I heard they have a tool day , but never went.

K80Shooter

I have not & was not aware of one unless you're talking about nails creek. I have never been to that one.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Not sure if they still have it. The building is between the building they have the plays in and the gas station (going back towards Big Gun) 300 yards from the auction you mentioned

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Lean towards the Wen. Greater cutting depth is something you may need.

I promise you, you will never utter the words "I wish my band saw was faster".

Warning: A lot of nine fingered shop teachers got that way by being careless with a band saw. The cutting motion pulls the stock into the blade. Which can also pull in the hand supposed to control the cut. It only takes a fraction of a second.
I can attest to the danger. I lost a couple digits in 1981 while working in a meat market in high school. It happens quick... believe me.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have another saw 8 amp 110 that will dim the lights a little when I have all the lights etc on. So I figured if I stay 8/110 or below I should be ok.

K80shooter or anyone else, have you been to the auction on Thursdays in Lavonia. I heard they have a tool day , but never went.

it could be that you just have an circuit that is almost at its limit that you are plugged into there. On something that draws a pretty heavy load, >12-15 amps, I have a tendency to put them on a dedicated circuit and breaker to help alleivate issues like that.

lbzdually

Banned
it could be that you just have an circuit that is almost at its limit that you are plugged into there. On something that draws a pretty heavy load, >12-15 amps, I have a tendency to put them on a dedicated circuit and breaker to help alleivate issues like that.

I have a Delta table saw that will dim the fluorescent lights in my basement. My garage outlets will kick the breaker if I use a circular saw plugged directly into the outlet, but won't when used off a drop cord. The only thing I can figure is that the drop cord stores just a little bit of power, kind of acting like a start-up capacitor.

NOYDB

BANNED
I have a Delta table saw that will dim the fluorescent lights in my basement. My garage outlets will kick the breaker if I use a circular saw plugged directly into the outlet, but won't when used off a drop cord. The only thing I can figure is that the drop cord stores just a little bit of power, kind of acting like a start-up capacitor.

A drop cord may be adding resistance to the circuit.

If the cord stored some power you would get shocked often.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
A drop cord may be adding resistance to the circuit.

If the cord stored some power you would get shocked often.

yep. Adding resistance to the circuit.

Wire has no capacity to store power.