Skrimp n Grits . .

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Anybody have a recipe they would share ???

3ringer

My wife makes great shrimp and grits. Basically , she fries a slab of bacon. She then cooks the shrimp in the bacon grease with a little bit of Old Bay. Place the cooked shrimp on yellow stone ground grits and cover with crumbled bacon, green onions and cheese.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Miggy's Skrimps n Grits

1lb - bacon
1/2 lb - medium skrimps
Grits to serve 8 people
1 - Clove of garlic
Tony Cashere's to taste
2 cups sharp cheddar
1 cup heavy cream
Chives for garnish

Peel and devein skrimps and lightly season them with Tony Casheres on both sides.

Cook grits according to directions, salt to taste
When almost done stir in heavy cream after mixing thoroughly stir in sharp cheddar and keep mixing until fully melted into grits.

While grits are cooking, in a cast iron skillet fry up bacon until crispy. Set bacon aside to cool and put in peeled and deveined skrimps. Cook until just pink on both sides.

Crumble bacon into small chunks. Cut skrimps in half or thirds (depending on your preference)

Mix skrimps into pot of grits and plate up in a bowl, sprinkle crumbled bacon on top and garnish with chopped up fresh chives. I usually put a dash or four of Tobassco on my grits too, but that is up to you.

Goes good with a BLD. :cheers:

Struttin'-n-Drummin'

flatheadpartol on here shared this one with me a few years back. It was pretty dang good.

I don't use a recipe, but this is to the best of my recollection.
For 4
Grits: Use yellow grits, not instant. Cook in 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 water (instead of plain water) per directions. 15 min before serving, add 1/2 pint heavy cream or 1/2-n-1/2. 5 min later add 1 1/2-2 cups of smoked Gouda cheese (or substitute) & 2 TBSP butter.
Shrimp:
1/2 lb Bacon
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed and diced
1 can diced tomato w/ juice
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
2-3 chopped green onion tops
1 TBSP chopped parsley
1 tsp Thyme
1 TBSP Blackening seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 TBSP butter
1 lb shrimp

Dice 1/2 lb of bacon (put in freezer for 30 min so it is easier to chop) and render on med heat.
Turn heat to med-hi
Add onion (yellow not the green tops) & pepper and cook 5+/- min
Add mushrooms and cook 5+/- min
Add garlic and cook 1-2 min
Add tomato & juice, bring to a simmer
Add Thyme & seasonings cook 2-3 min
Add shrimp and butter, cook shrimp until just pink
Add green onion and parsley, mix thoroughly and serve over grits.
Enjoy

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Sounds awesome guys !!! Any preferable side dish ??

ambush80

Any and all of the above. If my shrimp had the heads on I like to make a stock with the shells and heads that I reduce and use to deglaze the pan I cooked the shrimp in. I pour that on top of the finished dish.

To be honest, I always feel like shrimp and grits is more like an appetizer and never feel quite sassified after eating it. More of the same doesn't help. I feel the same way about sushi and sandwiches. I might be a glutton.

3ringer

Maybe a side salad with thousand island and some garlic bread.

trentb

BTW, If ever in the peachtree city area, flying biscuit has awesome shrimp and grits on the menu.

little rascal

Shrimp and Grits

Bring to boil some Chicken broth (don't ever boil grits in plain h2o) add grits simmer til' thickened, add cheese. Stir occasionally, add shrimp stir occasionally til' pink.
Serve in bowl, add just a tablespoon of coffee and mix.
You'll swear you just had country ham and red eye gravy w/ shrimp!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhere between Miggy and S-n-D. I probably never make them the same way exactly twice in a row.

Attachments

• shrimpngrits.jpg
    shrimpngrits.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 460

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Dub

I have never been a fan of shrimp and grits....especially after having an order at Fatz Cafe.

All that changed when wife and I went out for a meal a local spot our neighbor recommended.

Sort of a Charleston meets New Orleans atmosphere. She ordered shrimp 'n grits. As an appetizer we had something they called Soul Rolls. Outstanding meal.

I gave it a couple month grace period and then I tried my hand at making the same meal for her. She loved it. Not sure if it was my effort of if the flavors were what got her, lol.

Good quality grits or polenta used. Cooked with milk.

Homemade pimento cheese made (a scoop goes in the grits, just like the restaurant did).

Fried green tomato for the grits (again, like the restaurant).

Soul Rolls are spring rolls (now I make them in egg rolls) comprised of sensed collards, pimento cheese and a slice of country ham inside ( I used bacon...now I use country ham). They used a Pontchartrain style sauce....I think I simply used Yum-Yum Sauce since we had some in the fridge.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I have never been a fan of shrimp and grits....especially after having an order at Fatz Cafe.

All that changed when wife and I went out for a meal a local spot our neighbor recommended.

Sort of a Charleston meets New Orleans atmosphere. She ordered shrimp 'n grits. As an appetizer we had something they called Soul Rolls. Outstanding meal.

I gave it a couple month grace period and then I tried my hand at making the same meal for her. She loved it. Not sure if it was my effort of if the flavors were what got her, lol.

Good quality grits or polenta used. Cooked with milk.

Homemade pimento cheese made (a scoop goes in the grits, just like the restaurant did).

Fried green tomato for the grits (again, like the restaurant).

Soul Rolls are spring rolls (now I make them in egg rolls) comprised of sensed collards, pimento cheese and a slice of country ham inside ( I used bacon...now I use country ham). They used a Pontchartrain style sauce....I think I simply used Yum-Yum Sauce since we had some in the fridge.

Sounds like Graft over in Grayson. They have a flare for going the extra mile to make the meal different and outstanding. Great hole in the wall if that isn't it and you've never been there.

Dub

Sounds like Graft over in Grayson. They have a flare for going the extra mile to make the meal different and outstanding. Great hole in the wall if that isn't it and you've never been there.

http://elisamerican.com

:clap:

Great food. Menu seems to have changed slightly since we last went there.....still have their shrimp'n'grits and Southern Fried Pecan Pie on the menu, though. I'm not even going to talk about that pie....my vocabulary is insufficient to describe it's awesomeness !!!! :flag:

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Wow, ya'll are hitting homers !!! Don't know which recipe, or combo of recipes she used, but I'll find out tonight !!

Thanks for the tips and recipes, greatly appreciated.:cheers:

Missing the days when I could call my Moonbro and quiz him.