Remington going broke. Again.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
put the blame on this where it belongs, not Sandy Hook. The real reason they are struggling is they are producing a crappie product supported by crappie service and ammo that won't fire every time.

if they made a good product at a fair price, they wouldn't be where they are now. not to mention the trigger recall they denied was an issue for decades

Robert28

I had heard a lot about their R1 1911’s and finally took a good hard look at one recently. To be honest, that’s about the only pistol that I’d ever consider buying from them. I ended up buying a Springfield instead though because I liked their warranty better and the gun just felt a good bit more solid to me. And that was Soringfield’s Mil-spec model which is their entry level model in the 1911 lineup. Slide to frame fit was perfect, not a rattle anywhere, not a machine mark in sight whereas the Remington had noticeable machine marks.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I had heard a lot about their R1 1911’s and finally took a good hard look at one recently. To be honest, that’s about the only pistol that I’d ever consider buying from them. I ended up buying a Springfield instead though because I liked their warranty better and the gun just felt a good bit more solid to me. And that was Soringfield’s Mil-spec model which is their entry level model in the 1911 lineup. Slide to frame fit was perfect, not a rattle anywhere, not a machine mark in sight whereas the Remington had noticeable machine marks.

Yep, more of that crappie product being produced and put on the market for people to pass over and buy a competitors product.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
put the blame on this where it belongs, not Sandy Hook. The real reason they are struggling is they are producing a crappie product supported by crappie service and ammo that won't fire every time.

if they made a good product at a fair price, they wouldn't be where they are now. not to mention the trigger recall they denied was an issue for decades

Bingo. It has been years since I would buy anything that had a big green R on it, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If you change your business model from making quality firearms and ammo to making money at the expense of quality and reputation, you lose customers. And when you dip into making dangerous junk and then try to cover it up, you lose even more. Cerebus Capital Management bears little resemblance to the Remington of the old days.

Dub

I did the same.

I felt way more confident in Springfield Armory's warranty work reputation for no hassles & fast turnaround times.

That being said....I couldn't resist a deal on a new M700 that I ran across last year. I rolled the dice on Big Green and I'll see how she shoots soon....gotta mount some glass on it and shoot it soon.

transfixer

I haven't bought anything new from Remington in over 20yrs, no plans to do so either, I was gifted a new 870 about 5yrs ago, and its nothing like the 870's of old, fit and finish is lousy, plastic followers in the tube, plastic trigger housings, powdered metal ejectors, after replacing the follower and ejector I feel better about using it, but we shouldn't have to do things like that to depend on a firearm.

wareagle700

Not surprising given the current options on the market. Why pay $500 for a Remington that needs $500 of upgrades before it will shoot like a $350 disposable rifle? They haven't come out with anything "new" that was worth the box it came in and can't even deliver on their own proven designs.

Jester896

Senior Clown
of the last 2 receivers I have purchased from them one the barrel threads were off center by more than .010. Wasn't sure if it would correct with truing so it was returned.
The other the front scope mount screw was misaligned. Changing it to 8x40 corrected that.

kc65

I think savage is kicking everyone's butts in the sporting rifle market. I haven't met anyone with a savage rifle that regrets buying it, not one....

Fishin & Hunting

I bought a Remington V3 12 gauge this summer for $470, stock is a little cheap. Has worked great this fall with over 200 rounds fired.

Went to clean it to find the threads on one cylinder not matching. Sent it to them for repair. Got it back in three weeks with a new barrel. The piston on the side of the new barrel had been redesigned. Hope the problem is fixed.. haven't shot it yet.

jesnic

I haven't even looked a newer Remington firearm. However, I did buy a 700 DBM back in 1993. It has proven itself over and over again as one of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired. I had the rifle shipped directly to Remington Custom Shop, via the gun store I purchased it from, before ever bringing it home. I had them do some custom engraving, jewel trigger, free float the barrel, titanium nitride the bolt and lap the bolt, and lap the bore. It cost me a bit, but it has been well worth it. It still shoots 1/2 moa out to 600 yards, with it's favorite ammo. I also have 2 870 wing masters from the early 70s that I have never even taken out of the box, other than to look at them. I had the wild notion to shoot them when I bought them, but at the time I had a couple Franchi Spas that I couldn't give up. I kept shooting them and let the rems turn into safe queens.

Yotedawg

Savage is the way to go. My 600 yard gun is built around the dual port target action.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 466

tree cutter 08

I just don't understand the cheap gun market today. Why $350 hunting rifles sell like hot cakes is beyond me. I just hate cheap made guns.

Buckhead

I think savage is kicking everyone's butts in the sporting rifle market. I haven't met anyone with a savage rifle that regrets buying it, not one....

You just met someone. I have a skinny barrel Bmag which is the lowest quality firearm I have ever owned. There is nothing positive I can say about it. Crudely made, poor design, inaccurate, cheap flimsy stock, .. After this experience, I will never buy another Savage product.

wareagle700

Another one here who doesn't like Savage. I know they shoot decent but they've just never done anything for me that I couldn't find in a better looking rifle. Tikka would get my money if I were to buy another rifle today. Winchester and Bergera are two others I'd consider.

bullgator

I think it's kind of sad that Remington is in trouble. Like most of you, I've bought mostly other brands in recent years. I still believe they have some solid designs that just need a commitment to quality manufacturing. I would hate to see an American outdoors icon go under.