These ladies liked to got themselves killed for being under-gunned

transfixer

I don't know whether either mom or daughter had ever received any training for situations like that, but they did well under the circumstances, very well, hopefully they can get some realistic defensive type training that might help them should they ever have to deal with a situation like this again .

WaltL1

Was that a sawed off shotgun he had in the beginning? Only showed it for a brief second and then when he came back he didn't have it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know whether either mom or daughter had ever received any training for situations like that, but they did well under the circumstances, very well, hopefully they can get some realistic defensive type training that might help them should they ever have to deal with a situation like this again .

I agree, and I think they just got the ultimate training course. :)

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yes you could take someone down with a 22 if you know where to aim

^^^This^^^

One of my CCW's is a .380 with hornady critical defense rounds in it. Close proximity fire below the waist in the groin area is going to take anyone down, and hopefully hit the femoral artery removing them from the taxpayers burden. The only other good target with that load is a head shot. Center mass would be iffy, too many bones in the way and the weapon is up in reach of the perp.

My CCW is a .40, any of the three kill zone shots are good with it.

This ladies first mistake when the perp came back is she didn't empty the weapon on him.

MCBUCK

I wouldn't bash a 38spc too much over a 9mm. If I remember correctly, the Miami FBI shootout did not favor tte 9mm too highly. I'm not bashing a 9mm, but at close range I would have to think a 158gr .38+P is pretty bad juju. Personally I carry a 40SW, but my wife has an Airweight .38 full of +P's and I trust that gun as much as my .40 Like someone said, keep pulling the trigger until the threat stops

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
looks to me the main problem is they stopped shooting.
Several times there was separation between them and they should have been pulling the trigger(s).
Was also multiple opportunities to put rounds in his dome that would have ended it fast.
When he was wrestling with mom the daughter was too busy on the phone and could have taken 1 step forward and scrambled his brains.
I know, easy to say ^ ..... But it wasn't the calibers(s) that allowed this particular attack to continue.

^^^^^^this

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Me and my wife had this discussion recently. I told her in no uncertain terms----- don't stop shooting till the treat ain't moving

transfixer

I wouldn't bash a 38spc too much over a 9mm. If I remember correctly, the Miami FBI shootout did not favor tte 9mm too highly. I'm not bashing a 9mm, but at close range I would have to think a 158gr .38+P is pretty bad juju. Personally I carry a 40SW, but my wife has an Airweight .38 full of +P's and I trust that gun as much as my .40 Like someone said, keep pulling the trigger until the threat stops

Nothing at all wrong with a .38sp , I always preferred the 125gr +p loads, just for the faster velocity and a little more expansion, but either will do the job, plus there are a lot of specialty loads available now.

A female needs to carry/shoot what she's comfortable with, if its too big, they won't bother carrying it, if they can't control the recoil , they'll never master shooting it.
So the best way is let them choose what fits them, and get the best ammo available for it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The video shows the shortcomings of a six-shot revolver, too-especially in a lighter caliber. Most gunfights according to statistics involve several rounds fired for every one that hits its target. And it may take several to stop someone.

Chase4556

I carry a 38spl all the time. +p ammunition gives it pretty much the same ballistics as a 9mm, BUT when I'm gone, my wife can pick it up and pull the trigger 5 times and not worry about a malfunction. Also easy for me to conceal, and is better than nothing.

I can't get the darn video to load, but from everyones replies I can already tell you it wasn't a caliber issue. It was failure to stop the threat, and keep distance between you and the bad guy. Once you pull your gun in a situation like that, there is no time for talking until the person is lying motionless on the ground or has fully vacated the property. Seems multiple people mentioned she took time to yell at the guy... nope... that's shootin' time.

JohnK

They should keep at least a +p capable 9mm pistol in a holster and a shotgun under the counter. I have a 380 that I carry, I like it but if I worked in a cash business I wouldn't even consider it.

GunnSmokeer

Nothing in that video of the liquor-store robbery says how many times the bad guy was hit, or in what parts of his anatomy.

I think being fast and accurate with your gun is MORE important than the velocity and weight of the bullet it slings.

ONLY IF you are willing to put in the extra range time to master a harder-recoiling caliber should you move up.

Some people, especially women, refuse to carry or even keep handy a medium to large sized handgun. They want a small handgun. Small gun + big, heavy-kicking caliber is a bad combination. That leads to flinching, jerking the trigger, and few trips to the range (because nobody likes shooting that kind of gun).

chase870

Possum Sox
Nothing wrong with 38spl+p with a good JHP bullet. I'd wager that load has killed a pile of people

WaltL1

Nothing in that video of the liquor-store robbery says how many times the bad guy was hit, or in what parts of his anatomy.

I think being fast and accurate with your gun is MORE important than the velocity and weight of the bullet it slings.

ONLY IF you are willing to put in the extra range time to master a harder-recoiling caliber should you move up.

Some people, especially women, refuse to carry or even keep handy a medium to large sized handgun. They want a small handgun. Small gun + big, heavy-kicking caliber is a bad combination. That leads to flinching, jerking the trigger, and few trips to the range (because nobody likes shooting that kind of gun).
There are a couple different videos on this. One mentions the perp being shot in the leg and back. The video is pretty clear that he was shot in the back by the daughter with the smaller caliber and I'm assuming the leg shot came from the mother with the revolver.
Don't know if there were other hits that weren't mentioned.

treemanjohn

Banned
The guy was locked in the building with them. I guess that he thought his only was out was to get one of the women. Locking him in doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. He already ate a shot when he came back for more. If that door was open he would've bled in the street instead

treemanjohn

Banned
96d827b37776ace4f5a96211064f04b2

Jester896

Senior Clown
There are a couple different videos on this. One mentions the perp being shot in the leg and back. The video is pretty clear that he was shot in the back by the daughter with the smaller caliber and I'm assuming the leg shot came from the mother with the revolver.
Don't know if there were other hits that weren't mentioned.

there was blood on his hand when he came back in and limping. I don't think he had enough clothes on that a CM hit from either wouldn't have stopped him sooner. unless he was hit in the femoral artery it wouldn't have stopped him quickly.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

These tests are through 4 layers of denim then into ballistics gel. The barrel length for the revolvers tested is listed. All 9mm rounds were fired through a S&W M&P9c.

Notice that not a single standard 38sp load met the FBI standard of 12-18" of penetration WITH reliable expansion out of a 2" barrel. Out of a 4" barrel they did.

This is why I carry a 9mm with 124gr HSTs. How did your defensive load perform in this test?

Last edited:

GoldDot40

This is why I carry a 9mm with 124gr HSTs. How did your defensive load perform in this test?

I practice AND carry Speer Gold Dots..124gr in my 9mm and 155gr in my .40. They perform well in every single ballistic test I've ever seen them in. I've dug them out of the backstop where I shoot and they expand perfectly every time that I've seen.