A camp story to get your blood going before the season

SowGreen

This is a story a good friend of mine wrote about his first experience at deer camp. He didn't grow up around camp and didn't have a father figure to take him. You can tell what an impression this left on him as he wrote this later in life and remembered it like it was yesterday.

I wish we could all do something like this to enrich the lives of young kids while ensuring the growth of our sport. I read this every year before the season and it jump starts my heart. Enjoy.

Campfire Chairs

I grew up in the sprawling suburbs just outside Atlanta. The first time I attended a deer camp, I was already a senior in high school about to go to college. I barely knew the skinny underclassman with floppy hair who invited me. His name was John. He and I shared a class together. It was Theater 101, and we had somehow stumbled upon the topic of deer hunting during “group breakout sessions,” which is a pedagogical term for when teachers take a break and students talk amongst themselves.

I knew very little about deer hunting, but I had wanted to do it for a very long time. When I learned that his old man was in a hunt club, which John occasionally attended, he gained instant high school credibility in my eyes. We talked about deer hunting so much that John finally got the hint and said maybe I could come to “camp” the following weekend. He’d have to check with his dad.

John knew everything about deer hunting and guns and strategies and the right gear. He had stories about the colorful club members too. A crazy Vietnam vet with ear necklaces. An undercover narcotics officer with a beard and ponytail. A retired ATF agent that could shoot a dime with his sniper’s rifle from 300 yards. I really hoped he’d remember to ask his dad about next weekend’s camp.

Of course, my mom would not let me go unless John’s dad went along too. I found that out the hard way my freshman year when another boy invited me to deer camp. Older brothers do not count as chaperones, it seems, and mothers of the suburbs do not send their teenage sons to unsupervised deer camps.

John gave me the nod Monday morning, and I gave my mom the good news and John’s dad’s telephone number when she came home from work that evening. I assumed correctly that mom would call John’s dad to ensure the chaperone. Trust but verify. Moms used it way before Reagan.

She allowed me to go to deer camp that weekend. John and I talked about it for the rest of the week, making our plans between classes. I needed all the information I could get since I’d never been to the formidable sounding event in the woods. John may have been a sophomore, two years below me, but he had been to many deer camps, killed and cleaned a deer, knew the camp members, owned all the correct gear. I didn’t want to look like a complete nimrod, even though I was one.

John and his dad picked me up Friday after school in an old orange F-100 pickup truck. Mom came out to meet John’s dad on the driveway. I walked in the opposite direction to the bed of the truck to stow away my sleeping bag and backpack full of newly purchased camos and long underwear. I didn’t own a rifle then, but John said I could borrow one of his dad’s. It embarrassed me having my mom come out to meet John’s dad, Mr. Williams, who I’d just met myself, John making the brief introductions. While the adults’ meeting took place, John picked through my recently purchased Wal-Mart outdoor gear with the critical eye of a veteran sportsman. I heard Mom thank John’s dad as we loaded into the cab of the old pickup. I sat on the narrow back bench, and tried responsibly, albeit fruitlessly, to find a seat belt as we backed out of the driveway. I saved the further embarrassment of actually waving to my mom, and felt bad about it most of the way.

Mr. Williams dialed into an AM country music station and talked about the weather and his work and the deer they had harvested so far this season at camp. He dropped the names and nicknames of the members that would be present that weekend, the old cops and retired military, and confirmed all the stories I’d heard over two weeks. I didn’t want to disappoint any of the members, mainly John and his dad.

We drove east along Interstate-20 for what seemed like hours, well outside of the suburbs, where the strip malls disappear and give way to cow pastures and lone filling stations. Finally, thankfully, we exited the interstate at a rural junction with one gas station. I could not wait to see what a real deer camp looked like. Once we were off the interstate and on the state road, it seemed like any of the fields and patches of woods could have held deer. Lots of them. I kept waiting impatiently on the back bench of the pickup for us to turn off onto one of the well-worn dirt roads. Instead, we drove slowly along the nearly empty asphalt, through several venerable Georgia town squares, as Mr. Williams and his son conversed. Old veterans of deer camp.

John transformed from the younger classmate two grades below me. He knew everything that really mattered this weekend. I leaned forward from the back of the cab, listened intently, and said “yes, sir,” to most everything Mr. Williams spoke. Father and son seemed to speak of higher things, things I did not yet know, and I anxiously waited for the right moment to fill in pauses with a sentence of my own meager experiences. Mr. Williams asked if I’d ever been hunting. He meant deer hunting, of course, but I wanted to gain some quick credibility, and so spoke about the only hunting I’d done to date.

“Yessir, heck, my uncle and I went rabbit hunting once. Killed a big rabbit. Ate it for dinner. It was good. Tasted like chicken!”

Mr. Williams and his son nodded wisely from the front seats, knowingly, innately, correctly, “He’s never been to a deer camp. How do we handle him?”

What I didn’t tell them was that after a day of walking a few bean fields and coming up empty, my favorite uncle and I had adjourned to his friend’s place that bred rabbits commercially. My uncle asked me to pick out a rabbit for dinner, and so I did, reluctantly, a large white one with a pink nose, and my uncle’s friend snatched it up, twisted its neck with a snap and showed me how to clean it properly from a meat hook. I had leftover fried catfish for dinner that night.

I didn’t know it yet, but being able to pull off an otherwise mundane story in an entertaining manner is a big part of deer camp. That particular story would have been funny, but, of course, I didn’t know that then.

The sun was just going down over the tops of the trees when we turned onto a graveled dirt road. A field of tall, regal pecan trees blocked most of the setting sun. Mr. Clendenen stopped the truck at a field gate, and his son, a full two years younger than me in school, impressively, intuitively, sighing loudly like it cost him something, got out of the truck to unlock it. I made moves to follow, but the truck’s metal door swung shut, and his dad and I eased slowly through the open gate and stopped so that John could lock the gate smartly behind us, so smartly, knowing precisely where to put the key back in its hiding spot, and get back in the truck. Still bored with a hint of petulance about opening the gate.

We three drove through the pecan orchard on a dirt path up over a slight rise and down again to where four portable campers were stationed around an already burning camp fire. A few middle aged men sat around in camp chairs with plastic cups in their hands. We pulled up next to a weather beaten pop-up camper, and Mr. Williams turned off the truck. As my new friend John and his dad opened the doors and stepped out of the truck, a barrage of shockingly deep-bellowed curses erupted from the men sitting around the campfire.

Fat man.

- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - target.

@#$%*!

It sounded serious enough. A skinny kid, junior high school type, was laying a fresh log on the fire, grinning. Mr. Williams fired back to the campfire in general with a loud obscenity-laden retort. This brought an increased amount of laughter from said campfire.

“You’re an old grouch.”

“Michelin man.”

And, “Terrible shooter.”

John’s dad didn’t react to the other recriminations, but retorted to the latter with, “I’ll take any of you whippersnappers from 300 yards every day, twice on Sunday.”

This elicited more laughter from the campfire. My new best friend, John, gave me a grin, and, as I stood there, ambled toward the campfire gathering and announced casually, “This is my friend, Fred,” with a thumb over his shoulder as I tried to look serious, clutching my sleeping bag to my chest. I nodded at the gathered men folk, their cups in midair, and smiled like an ape. They nodded uninterestingly and all turned back at Mr. Williams and said, “We didn’t think the wife would let you come another weekend this year.”

“Jump in a lake, ” said he without a glance as he started unloading piles of camping gear from the truck.

And I was in heaven, I tell you. Pure heaven. Like in heaven, scared, intimidated, but somehow safe and belonging.

As we watched Mr. Williams unload supplies and generally stayed out of his way, John informed me that we’d be sleeping in the pop-up camper with his old man. We unloaded the orange truck of our personal gear and moved them to the camper. No one from the campfire said another word to us, having picked up their previous conversations. Handguns. Long guns. Velocities. Scopes. Perps. Undercover work. Former colleagues.

The old pop-up camper smelled of moth balls when you stepped into it, and moldy plastic. John pointed me to the swing out berth where I would sleep, on the opposite side from his and his dad’s berths. I threw my sleeping bag and backpack full of new camo clothing and emergency camping provisions up on the thin mattress and watched them for what I was supposed to do next.

Father and son were presently exiting the camper with folding camp chairs. I exited after them, without a camp chair, and walked toward the campfire about three steps behind them. Mr. Williams held two camp chairs in his hand and handed one to me without comment as he spread out his own. John had already plopped down in his own chair by then. I made a mental note to buy a folding camp chair as we settled around the campfire. I set up my borrowed camp chair in the space between Mr. Williams and his son, a relatively safe spot around the campfire, I hoped.

Mr. Williams expelled a tremendous sigh as he plopped down in the sagging canvas chair underneath his considerable weight. I felt like a ballet dancer next to him, regardless of my carefully planned outdoor gear, including cold-weather flannel shirt, hiking boots, and jeans. John again introduced me as his friend from high school. The old men around the campfire said things like, “Glad you could make it,” and “Nice to meet you,” and then started again on Mr. Williams.

“You sorry old coot, you came to camp without a drink?”

“Well, is the old lady still ragging you for last weekend?”

“The glare off your bald head is blinding me…”

Mr. Williams responded with vulgar obscenities. “I’m resting before I partake in the libations, you ugly dogs…and you, you!” pointing at the youngest guy, called Giblet, after his father, Mr. Gibbs. “What are you doing sitting there smiling when this here ‘fore’ needs tending? ” The kid from earlier tossed another log on the “fore” without the usual teenage reticence.

A fire’s a “fore” at deer camp, I noted to myself.

The men around the campfire talked about adult things for the next thirty minutes or so as the sun set properly beneath the tree line. One of the older men brought Mr. Williams a large plastic cup, and I knew then what whiskey and coke smelled like. The young Giblet threw another log on the fire without anyone asking. Conversation was mainly shop talk for cops. My friend and host, John, made one or two adult observations, at which I gravely nodded, intimating knowledge. Presently, a set of headlights shown from the direction of the gate.

“That’ll be Kenny,” the bearded one called Mr. Gibbs said.

“He still flying helos for DeKalb County?,” asked another.

“Yeah, made lieutenant last year,” replied Mr. Gibbs.

“Well, I’ll be dipped in pooh.”

The arriving club member named Mr. Kenny pulled up in a Chevy Blazer. The adult men shouted greetings and curses at him from their campfire chairs, just like at Mr. Williams. Mr. Kenny responded with profanities, just like John’s dad, and he took his gear into a compact tow camper that its previous owner had camouflaged with spray paint. Eventually he came out of the camper with a fold out camp chair and a beer and took his place around the campfire. One of the older guys moved his chair over for him.

“Well, Lieutenant, welcome to deer camp, you old curmudgeon.”

“I wouldn’t want to miss it. How’s your daughter?”

The man’s daughter had apparently been having family troubles, because the guy who had welcomed Mr. Kenny by cursing him loudly, tucked his neck in, and said, “She’ll be alright. The boyfriend just left her …but she says they’ll get back together.”

Mr. Kenny said, “Yeah, man, she’ll be okay” as he cracked open the beer, just before another old policeman around the campfire, turning the conversation more cheerful, offered that Mr. Kenny was completely worthless for becoming a “zero,” an officer. Mr. Kenny laughed happily, and sipped his beer.

It went on like this for some time as the horizon turned darker, colder, and the fire drew larger. The senior members of the deer camp continued with their incredible stories of chases and stops, and cussed each other occasionally. They laughed a lot, or agreed seriously, with heavy nods of the head, and sips from aluminum cans or plastic cups. I glanced up to the cold sky above, noticing that the stars were much brighter out here than anywhere else I’d ever been before. There was a definite chill to the wind, but it felt wonderful beneath the layers of my heavy flannel shirt, the hot fire pit, and the camp stories. The voices of sage grown men laughed and reminisced over lives of service and the fire crackled. Cigar smoke and the smell of bourbon in the wind. I went for another Dr. Pepper for John and me in the communal cooler, which I attempted to pull out of the ice chest with the same detached coolness as the members going for beer, popping open the caps disinterestedly, before handing them off. I didn’t even look at my friend John, though I had the urge to shake him with pure joy.

All too soon, the older members began stretching in their chairs, excused themselves to take leaks next to trees, and stumbled to their campers in the dark. Mr. Williams stayed out with us till the last two members seemed like they could go all night long. He gave a great yawn that momentarily squelched conversation, and announced loudly, “I’m going to bed.”

The two serious drinkers cursed at him as he ambled to his pop-up camper. John and I collected up our camp chairs shortly thereafter, stowed them smartly under a communal tarp, and walked to the pop-out camper where we could hear Mr. Williams, aka “The Bear,” per campfire talk, rooting around.

John and I had offered little to the campfire discussion that night, me almost nothing. But, that seemed correct, being a new, young, inexperienced guest and all. The members didn’t even say anything mean to me when I did speak up, like they regularly did to Mr. Williams shucked out of his clothes down to his long johns, climbed into his bunk, said, “G’night,” and turned off the propane lantern with a hiss of extinguished flame, his old man snoring above him.

It was completely dark in the camper. And cold.

By the time I was in my white fruit of the looms in the darkness, and had crawled into the chilly down of my sleeping bag, it was obvious that it was seriously cold outside. It was truly almost freezing, and downright icy in my sleeping bag.

It felt great.

Outside, the two camp members who’d hung around the campfire eventually shuffled to their campers, mumbling quietly. After their aluminum camper doors swung shut, the bouncing reflection of the remnant campfire against the thin plastic of the camper’s walls kept me company, my eyes wide open to the gravity of my situation.

I was finally at deer camp, and tomorrow, I would try to kill a deer.

My senses were completely awake. Awake as I had ever been in 17 years. I didn’t want this night to end. I certainly didn’t want to sleep. Deer camp is awesome. And so I curled into a warmer position, my flannel shirt substituting as the pillow I’d intentionally eschewed, listening to Mr. Williams, “the Bear,” snore loudly, grossly, coyotes howling in the distance.

Coyotes howling in the distance!?

Did the other members hear them?

Listen.

Shhhh.

Heart pounding against the sleeping bag.

Yep! That’s coyotes!

I wanted to immediately mention it to John and his dad. Coyotes! At deer camp!

I studied the remnant fire flicker against the thin plastic walls of the camper for some time, even after the coyotes stopped calling, still thoroughly awake, engrossed in thought about all the wise conversation around the campfire, and the possibilities of white-tailed deer tomorrow. I watched my breath condensing from mouth and nose against the stuttering firelight outside.

Eventually, sometime, much later in the cold early morning darkness, I slept a light sleep full of intermittent dreams - laughing men folk in camp chairs, hugely horned buck deer in the forest, endless Dr. Peppers pulled from an ice chest and coyotes hunting under moonbeam.

Out of my blurry dreams, a propane lantern hissed to life in the darkness of the camper. Mr. Williams was moving heavily about, dawning his cold-weather camouflage gear. I was finally warm and comfortable in my down sleeping bag, after squirming the whole night, but I realized immediately, energetically, in my now fast moving mind:

SowGreen

“This is deer camp! And I’m really here! It’s not a dream!”

By the time Mr. Williams was leaving the camper, announcing loudly, “time to get up, boys,” followed by the crash of the aluminum door as he exited, I was half-dressed in my new camouflage gear from Walmart, quietly urging John to get a move on it so we wouldn’t miss a minute. John was reticent to get up, the old pro, and took his time getting dressed. I hurried him into the morning, out into the cold darkness in our camouflage suits, heavy boots, and orange vests, acquiescing to the urge to pee next to pecan trees in the dark. The crisp morning air snuck down our necks and stars shone brightly above us. I was careful not to let a drop touch my boots. Deer could smell it, I’d read somewhere. I zipped up and followed John to the communal tent where all the camping chairs were lined up under the tarp. His dad stood solemnly with hands in pockets over an old-fashioned aluminum pot, boiling coffee on a propane stove, the chicory smell making my mouth water, even though I rarely drank the stuff.

Before it got too comfortable for the three of us to be standing around the stove, Mr. Clendenen announced that he’d go wake up the others and commenced to walk around the camp’s perimeter, banging on other aluminum camper doors, announcing loudly, “Time to get up!” There were the now inevitable insults flung from behind dimly lit windows as the campers came to life. By the time Mr. Williams got back to the communal tent, the coffee was just percolating from the metal pot. He grabbed a Styrofoam cup from off the table, took a sip, commented on the temperature, found it satisfactory, and encouraged us to follow suit. John and I reached for the camp’s styrofoam cups that had been left out in the open, no telling what furry rodents or rabid coyotes had licked at them, my suburban mind noted, and poured ourselves equally satisfying, fully adult cups of black coffee from the boiling pot. Mr. Williams told us there was cream and sugar in the plastic bin next to the table. He hadn’t used it, so we wouldn’t either.

Presently, the other camp members stumbled into the communal tent, complaining of the cold, fumbling for Styrofoam cups, tired, unshaven, grumbling about getting up so early. Each took his coffee, and most used cream and sugar.

It seemed like an eternity as the camp all stood around in our camo gear and blaze orange vests, sipping coffee, a second pot put on now, serious talk of who would go to each deer stand. The horizon turned a fraction of a shade lighter, and it seemed to get even colder after the second cup of coffee and the week-old doughnuts that Mr. Williams had thoughtfully brought along for all. I didn’t even think about going back to the camper for the three-dollar survival protein bar that I purchased for breakfast.

I discovered in the early morning murmur of adult conversation that I’d be riding with “The Bear,” Mr. Williams, “up past the old church” and that he’d put me in “Number Seven.”

Deer Stand #7. I gathered from the conversation over coffee and doughnuts that it was a good one and had some recent successes. It was clear from the talk that the members wanted to put the young guys on some deer. They assigned John lucky stand #3, reputedly the most productive stand of deer camp. He’d also be dropped off by his dad, and he knew exactly where it was based on his studied disinterest.

What seemed like hours later, but were only minutes, milling about under the communal plastic tarp, the unshaven club members set down their Styrofoam cups and wished each other “luck” as they headed toward trucks and four-wheelers, or by foot, for their assigned deer stands. I followed John and his dad to the old orange F-100. Mr. Williams put a key into the locked cover of the bed of his truck and propped it open with a stick he carried with him. He reached in deep and pulled out a long rifle with a scope from a case, checking that the breach was open, and handed it to me. I was surprised at how heavy a real rifle weighed. Mr. Williams then handed another rifle to his son, after checking for an open breach, and got another for himself, doing the same. He motioned for us to get in the cab. I followed John into the passenger side, mimicking carefully how they expertly pointed the rifles’ muzzles to the floorboards.

I happened to be sitting next to the truck’s passenger door, so when we came up to the locked field gate at the boundary of the pasture, I swiftly stepped out to unlock it. This was serious business, unlocking gates. In the cold darkness, with the headlights on me, and the truck’s engine idling in park, I searched for the key on the post where John had hidden it the day before.

I couldn’t find it.

Where is it?

I saw John put it there yesterday.

As I frisked the post with all four eyes and thick, camouflaged gloved hands, Mr. Williams lowered the window of his truck, stuck his head out, and informed me that the gate wasn’t locked. “Just take the chain off.”

I felt a warm wave of semi-professional embarrassment flow over my neck as I removed the heavy chain, swung the gate wide for the truck, and watched the truck pass through and stop, waiting for me. I swung the gate shut (Did I really need too? Weren’t there other guys coming through?), fumbled with the chain over the nail in the post so it would keep the gate shut (there were cattle here too somewhere, after all), and climbed back into the warming cab. John and his old man stared straight ahead without comment as we crunched slowly down the dirt road.

We turned onto the paved road in the dark, and then back onto another dirt road for several hundred yards. Mr. Williams stopped the truck next to some cut timber. I got out, and John exited silently with his rifle pointed safely to the ground. His dad looked at him and asked, “You remember how to get there?” John chambered a round without making eye contact and answered, “yeah.” I could tell he wasn’t exactly sure where the deer stand was. I figured he’d find it. And so did his dad because he motioned for me to shut the door. I whispered to John in the conspiratorial tones of hunters I‘d heard earlier, “Luck!” He waved nonchalantly as I shut the metal door.

Mr. Williams and I continued up the dirt road in the dark at a slow pace. We passed a white-washed, cinder block church on our left and turned right at a cross roads. Tree limbs squeaked against the side of the truck along the dirt path until we came to another gate leading to a pasture. Mr. Williams put the truck in park without a word and stepped out to open it with a key. When he got back in, I offered to step out and lock it up behind us.

“No need. Just put the chain over the nail so it doesn’t swing open.” This was another, critically important task, like opening and closing gates always are, and I stepped out purposefully and laid the chain through the nail in the post just so it wouldn’t swing open. It seemed wide still. It felt like it took ten minutes to get the chain loop fitted so no enterprising cows could slip through. Even skinny ones.

I eventually stepped back into the truck’s cab, and we drove along the edge of an immense pasture, the headlights bouncing against tall grass in the dark. Mr. Williams said we might see a deer or two, and I watched through the windshield very, very carefully.

At the top of the pasture, at the edge of some woods, Mr. Williams put on the brakes and pointed through the windshield.

“See that cat’s eye? It’s just in front of us.”

I didn’t know what the heck a “cat’s eye” was. Did he see a bobcat? He was presently informing me that I simply needed to follow the “cat’s eye” into the woods on a straight course for forty yards and I’d find the #7 deer stand.

He looked at me and asked if I saw where I was going.

“Yes, sir.”

Mr. Williams saw that I wasn’t, in fact, aware of where I was going, so he put the truck in park, and told me to take the rifle as he climbed out. I grasped the heavy rifle, standing in the tall grass at the edge of the forest, in the dark of morning, and waited at semi-attention until he came around the side of the truck.

Mr. Williams pointed through the light of the truck’s headlamps to the dark woods before us. “Okay. You see that reflection…it’s not big, just two points…stapled against that big pine tree in front of us…?”

I squinted through my glasses mightily, and did not see.

“Yes, sir. I see it.”

He judged where I was looking and decided to show me. We walked closer until….Shazzam! Somebody has stapled reflectors on a tree!

“Okay!…okay…I see it now!”

“Okay then, just ease into the woods for forty yards, straight ahead, and you’ll find the stand. Don’t load the rifle until you have it with you in the stand. Understood?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Okay, I’m going to come pick you up at 10:30. If you take a shot, just sit still and watch where the deer goes, and I’ll come help you track it.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Alright, then. Good luck.” And he clambered back into his truck and eased out of the pasture the way we came in.

Suddenly, with no headlights in front of me, the cat’s eye disappeared completely. It was surprisingly dark. The wind blew slightly, and it was cold. I turned around and could just make out the immensity of the pasture, the headlights exiting the gates below. I turned back and faced the dark woods before me.

Immediately, feeling a bit anxious, I laid the unloaded rifle in the tall grass and reached inside my camo jacket for my flashlight.

It wasn’t there.

John had told me to bring a good flashlight on this trip. I had dutifully packed it. Where was it?

“I know it’s in one of these pockets,” I assured myself, as I stood in the dark October morning, at the edge of an even darker forest, flailing blindly through each camouflaged pocket searching for a small, metal, relatively expensive, newly purchased flashlight with brand new batteries. When it seemed like I couldn’t find it, I looked back down the empty pasture. Mr. Williams’ truck was gone. It was completely dark, still, cold, and silent around me.

I breathed deeply, controlling my primal fear through cursing softly, and started the search of my camo pockets again. The flashlight was found in the same right breast pocket I thought it was in initially. I yanked it out and clicked it on.

Light!

But, oh, what had seemed such a strong beam in the Wal-Mart store, disappeared ineffectually in the grass before me.

I turned quickly to the woods, searching for the cat’s eye and whatever malevolent forces were out sneaking up in the dark behind me. Where is the cat’s eye?! I scooped up the heavy rifle in my other hand and scanned the trees with my disappointingly weak flashlight.

“Where is the cat’s eye?”

After personally interrogating several pine trees with my sorry flashlight, I found the cat’s eye. It was stapled to a large tree, and this reminded me that, yes, humans had been here before me, and they had too survived. But now, I was supposed to go into the woods. Deep, dark woods, in fact.

I pushed my glasses closer to my nose. The silent woods were incredibly dark and foreboding. A part of me didn’t want to go in there. “This is deer camp,” I said to no one in particular, hoisted my unloaded rifle and waded in, stumbling forward bravely, like a first time soldier into battle.

My steps were steps unseen, the double-A flashlight before me failing to provide adequate light. I was soon engulfed by the total darkness of the woods, immense, tall, and prickly. I quickly deduced that stealth was not as important as pure survival. I didn’t care about the crackling leaves underneath my feet or that I snapped branches in my fight to find the deer stand. I just wanted the evil in the woods to know I was aware….

Suddenly, right before me, in the darkness, the crashing of four-legged animals in the invisible distance shattered my chain of thought. I froze and heard them bounding away through leaves and snapping branches.

Deer.

Dang, that was stupid of me, I thought.

But I just wanted to find the deer stand. Old #7. Forget the deer now. It’s still dark in the woods. “Where is the stand!?,” as I shone my pitiful double-A flashlight before me.

Forget those deer. Forget any deer! I just want to find the stand. The stand is my immediate goal. It is where I’m supposed to be, the first test of any deer hunter. In the dark. And as I shined my meager light before me in the woods, I could see no deer stand, just more limbs and trees and trunks, crackling leaves, cold wind, still quiet, and darkness.

Had I walked forty yards? A hundred? I thought so, but as a continued forward in the dark woods, the little flashlight scanning worthlessly ahead, an old barbed wire fence reached out and grabbed my pants. I walked into it, blindly, but did not fall.

Ouch.

I stepped judiciously over the remnant wire, eyes back on the task at hand, back into the darkness before me, like all the men of deer camp must do.

The topography took a sudden steep down cline through heavier brush, and I knew that I had walked more than 40 yards, by now pushing back young oak trees and mulberry bushes. Before me was a shallow ravine. A creek flowed ahead. It was pitch black, so I couldn’t see it, but I could hear it, and even smell it, like pure oxygen, the temperature cooler now in the bottom. Amazing.

I turned around and started slogging back up the hill, stumbling loudly through the dark woods, breathing heavily, sweating now in my cold weather gear, and marginally panicked. I marched recklessly back up the densely forested hill in the dark, crashing through leaves and branches, not caring who or what heard me. The limbs of young trees poked and prodded. They grabbed at my unloaded rifle. I wanted anyone or anything to hear me. I felt completely lost. No tree stand in sight. My double-A light still essentially useless.

Then I was back at the edge of the clearing. The pasture. Utter silence before me, the tall grass waving in the wind, and the horizon lightening up with the first oranges of an early morning. I considered just sitting down there, against a tree, hunting the upper pasture, but the rising sun gave me some courage, and the thought of hunters below me gave me pause, so I turned my flashlight onto the cat’s eye and back into the now semi-dark woods. I stepped forward, a foot at a time, cognizant of the old barbed wire and the creek down below.

Back in the dense woods, on a straight path, with the early light of morning creeping through treetops, so that the flashlight became entirely useless, I spotted something in the trees.

Was it deer stand and not my imagination? Could it be?

A bit of dark cloth bellowed in the wind above me.

I had found it. Old #7.

Marching loudly through the woods, I still didn’t care who or what heard me, I just wanted to be in the deer stand. That was my goal. Deer would come later.

When I finally reached the bottom of the metal ladder of the deer stand, sweat puddling at every bodily crevice, face scraped by briars and lungs huffing, I paused for a second and looked around for signs of deer. Suddenly a stealthy hunter again.

With no living creature showing itself in immediate range, I slung my rifle, Mr. Williams’ rifle, over my back, and started climbing the ladder.

Stop.

Mr. Williams told you to never climb a ladder with your rifle.

Even unloaded.

Use the line attached to the stand.

So, I climbed back down the ladder, rifle on shoulder, and looked for the line, no need for the flashlight at this point in the early morning.

A thin string was high up in the stand, the previous occupant having clearly dismounted said stand with a rifle over his back.

I took the heavy, unloaded rifle from my shoulder, and positioned it carefully against the tree, very carefully, so as not to make a mark. (Mr. Williams would notice a scratch. He told me so). Then I climbed partially up the ladder for the string. I grasped for it and it came down around me with leaves that fell in my face. Back at the bottom of the ladder, now in the clear light of a morning sunrise, I tried to figure out how to tie a heavy rifle to a thin string.

There was a small loop already tied at the end of the string, but nothing you could fit a rifle around, or the stock of a rifle. What was it there for? I tried several variations, but could not utilize the obvious knot, though it certainly existed for me and every other hunter who had ever utilized Old #7.

Ultimately, I decided on the universal “granny knot,” and started up the ladder with heavy boots, the rifle affixed safely below me.

By the time I reached the top rung of the fourteen foot ladder climb, the topography sank below me all the way to the creek, doubling the distance to the ground. All I had to do was take another step up, with a hand hold, and I’d be in old deer stand #7. But, it wasn’t that simple. The top of the homemade wooden deer stand did not offer a real hand hold. It was all plywood with a two by two slat nailed casually on all sides, with a plastic school chair turned upside down on the platform before my prostrate nose for a seat.

With no one to see me, sweat now dripping from my face, I flattened my torso on top of the wooden platform and squirmed my way to the top. Eventually, with much grunting and careful kneeling and grasping of the flimsy two by twos, I found myself on my knees in the homemade deer stand, leaves and twigs crunching around us. I got into the semi-squat position, cautiously, noisily still, but somewhat rested, and turned the plastic chair over, ever so carefully, leaves and small sticks tumbling away, unnaturally loud. I hugged the tree trunk and took a quick seat in the chair to admire the forest before me.

Wheeeeew.

Sweat poured clammily underneath layers of cold weather camouflage.

Clearly, this was a fine place to take a buck.

Without leaning too forward out of the plastic chair stationed perilously 14-ft above the ground, feeling the sweat pooling in my well-insulated camo clothes, I raised the string attached to the heavy rifle with some urgency. The thin string was heavy in my gloved hands, and the rifle banged once or twice against the tree trunk until the stock showed over the stand’s camo netting. I hoped that the knocks against the tree would not be noticed by its owner. I reached for the stock of the rifle where the granny knot was just holding and brought it to rest on my lap.

Wheeeeew.

And again. Wheeeww.

I breathed very heavily, the weight of the borrowed rifle in my lap, sweat congealing under my camo jacket, underarms, neck, crotch, and cold weather boots. I sat in the plastic chair, scanning the forest floor below me, and concentrated on breathing, open mouth gasps. After a few minutes of relatively silent breathing, I recalled what I was here for, and cocked a long bullet into the chamber of the rifle. It sounded so loud that I thought all the deer in the forest must have heard it. Two more rounds slid into the magazine much quieter.

The forest remained quiet. For twenty minutes, nothing moved. But after twenty minutes or so of me sitting absolutely still in the camouflaged deer stand, the forest slowly sprang to life. Squirrels started chattering and birds began chirping. I could hear a car passing along the road a mile away. I could hear the creek dribbling below me and the sun began to really rise. Oddly, it got colder, and I had to replace my camo cap.

Stay still.

I knew that was the strategy John had wisely laid out in our theater class.

Stay as still as you can.

SowGreen

And I stayed frozen for the next hour, ignoring the fact I was sweaty and cold. I was camouflaged. Small birds joined squirrels in rejoicing, and one sparrow flitted up to a branch next to me. It was so close I could reach out and touch it. Instead, I used all the peripheral vision I could to watch the small bird bounce along to a neighboring limb, seemingly oblivious to my presence. That was about the time an itch started torturing my nose, and I tried to squelch it by rubbing it on my jacketed shoulder. The bird twittered away, leaving me again 14-ft in a deer stand, staring at a tinkling creek, shivering in the wind, and about as happy as a young man could be.

It went on like this for a few minutes or maybe a few hours. The creek gurgled, birds flitted, and squirrels chirped. I was uncomfortable and happy and scared and thankful and…my butt itches.

As I shifted to scratch my backside, movement in the woods caught my eye. Something in the woods was moving other than me and the squirrels. I froze in the semi-scratch position. I glanced peripherally to the left at the creek. It gurgled still.

Nothing.

I glanced to the right, around the tree, behind the stand, towards the field, which I could now see in daylight.

Antlers.

Oh…my…..

I shifted my weight slowly, imperceptibly, away from my chair and to the outer most flimsy edges of the stand. For a solid minute I forgot entirely about gravity and my fear of heights and watched a huge buck feeding at the edge of the field in the early sunshine about 40 yards behind my stand. I watched him for another minute, or second, thinking to myself, “what now?”

The ‘what now’ came suddenly, reflexively, and I carefully reached behind my no longer itching butt for the high-powered rifle leaning against the slender wooden rail. I was in slow motion, the spaces between thought and action melding. I brought the heavy rifle to my side. The loud “snick” of the rifle’s safety caused concern, but for nought.

There he was.

Still.

Feeding at the edge of the woods.

My first deer. A buck. A big buck.

I tucked the stock of the heavy rifle between my shoulder and chest, leaning precipitously out of the stand, easing the rifle’s scope to my eye and saw branches and leaves in high definition. I tucked back and looked down the barrel with my own four eyes to where I should aim. Then I looked down the scope again so that the big buck would be in full view.

There. Full view.

Cross hairs. Just above the shoulder.

He’s moving now.

Wait.

Wait.

Follow.

Wait for him to stop.

More branches.

Breathe.

Antlers. At least ten points.

First hunt. Camp talk.

There he is.

In the crosshairs. Branches cleared.

“Don’t pull, just squeeze the trigger.”

Squeezing, squeezing, squeez….

BOOOOOOOOM!!!

The swift kick to the shoulder, ears ringing, smell of cordite, glancing over the scope…

The antlered buck froze, lifted his head, sharply, briefly, turned to the ground directly before him….and incredibly, inexcusably, continued feeding.

Missed him.

The whole camp had to hear that one.

Rack another round into the chamber, it ejects the first shell, still smoking, thudding out of the wooden stand, no thinking of heights now…

…but the ten-pointer heard that, oddly enough, and started trotting along the edge of the field. I tried to get him in the scope, and did, intermittently, until I didn’t. More high-powered branches and leaves through the scope. I swung around the tree trunk of the stand and try to readjust, but the buck was in the woods now. I could see the first half of him between two trees, aimed above the shoulder, and went for the Hail Mary.

BOOOOOOOM!

And after the kick on my shoulder, and the cordite smell, looking over my scope, I heard more than saw the unmolested 10-pt buck bounding swiftly though the brush, reminding himself not to feed on this corner of the field for awhile.

I ejected the second shell, still leaning precipitously out of the stand, and the third and last round entered the chamber. I saw the buck come to a stop deeper in the woods with my own eyes, he’s looking back at you, you even see each other, make eye contact. He’s bewildered but unharmed, and by the time you bring up the scope.

He’s gone.

You’re back in the chair. Scanning the forest with your scope. Silence for a few minutes in the woods until the squirrels start their chattering. You’re no longer impressed with squirrel chatter.

You had him.

You had him and you missed him.

Then you start thinking.

Oh, God. He was beautiful. Did I really miss him? I don’t want to have wounded him. The deer ran away. He ran away and looked back at me.

I should have waved at mom when we were leaving and she was standing on the driveway.

Do deers run when they’ve been hit? Do they look back at you?

I don’t know.

I don’t know about anything. I don’t know about deer, and I don’t know about deer camp, and I don’t know about so many things.

God, please. Just let him not be hurt.

I prayed quietly for the deer I’d just missed, and, after a while of staring into the forest, listening to the creek, I prayed that another deer would show up so that I could shoot it cleanly. I listened ever so carefully and didn’t move an inch for another hour. Another deer would surely come along.

Mr. Williams’ truck honked at the top of the hill. I hadn’t heard it coming due to all my concentration. It took me a few minutes to unload my rifle, tie it to the string, and climb out of the stand. Mr. Williams was out of the truck by the time I reached the field.

“Did you shoot?”

He knew I had shot, twice, but I didn’t know that then.

“Yes, sir. I saw a big buck in this field, right about there, turned around in the stand and shot at him but missed and he didn’t move and then he sort of trotted into the woods feeding along the way and so I shot at him again after he was in the woods but there were trees in the way and he looked at me and then I couldn’t see him anymore but I tried to find him in my scope but the branches…”

You didn’t hit him?

No, sir. I didn’t hit him.

Suddenly, under questioning, I wasn’t so sure. I had seen him through the scope. You’re not supposed to miss through a scope, I thought.

Did he jump or scrunch up when you shot?

No, sir, he just sort of stood there.

What about the second time?

No, sir. He ran into the woods and then just looked at me.

Was it a buck or a doe?

It was a big buck, at least ten points.

Well, that’s alright. Someone else will get a chance at him this year.

Mr. Williams didn’t try to soften the experience for me by asking if I had enjoyed myself, or if I wanted a soft drink, or felt bad about it. He did something much better. He simply motioned for me to get into the truck, allowing me to be responsible for the high powered rifle that he had handed to me earlier that morning and what had happened in between. I walked to the passenger side of the truck in the tall grass, opened the door, and carefully slid the unloaded rifle, bolt open, muzzle down, between him and me, and got in.

John was waiting along the unpaved road like he was happy to see us. I shifted over to give him room in the cab.

You shoot? He asked. He wasn’t as sure as his dad that I’d shot.

“Yeah, I saw a 10-point buck behind my stand but missed and then he headed into the woods and…”

You missed your first deer?!? Man, we’re gonna have to cut off your shirt tail!

I’d read about the deer camp ritual and thought about my camo shirt, newly purchased, along with the matching camo pants, from Wal-Mart, an extravagance for me, the only pair I owned. And now the shirt would have to be cut. That was the way of deer camp, I supposed. I dreaded the return back to camp as John and his father discussed what they had seen, and John reminded me of deer camp traditions.

Back at camp, no one had seen a thing except Kenny. He had shot a coyote at 250 yards. It was in the bed of his truck if anyone wanted to look. I did. I was curious about hunting and about coyotes which I had never seen, but heard, the previous night. John and I walked over and peered into the bed of Kenny‘s truck. A real coyote. Yep, there it was. In the back of the truck, a small red hole just above its shoulder. We felt its rough fur, and I thought to myself to wash my hands.

“Fred took a shot,” John announced with a mischievous smile and a sudden switch of alliances as we walked towards the circle of camouflaged deer camp elders recounting the morning over the remnants of the morning fire. They had all heard my shots, of course, but they were being polite.

“And what did you see, young John Williams?” One of the senior club members named Jim asked.

“Nothing. But Fred shot at a deer and missed, so I figure we have to cut his shirt tail.”

Mr. Jim turned to me solemnly, critically, and asked, “You saw a deer, Fred?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Buck or doe?”

“Buck, sir.”

“How big was he?”

“Eight, maybe ten points.”

Did you shoot?

Yes, sir.

Well, where is he?

I guess I missed.

You missed? Well, what rifle were you using?

I don’t have one, but Mr. Williams loaned me a 7 millimeter….

“Now that’s your problem young man,” Jim announced matter of factly. “You used one of the Bear’s rifles. The barrels are all bent from him trying to squeeze them into his gun safe. The barrels get all bent, you see, because he has so many guns…”

The older men around the campfire laughed loudly, and I knew then that my shirt would not be cut that day, although John did bring the idea up once or twice later. The older men had expensive camouflage of their own, and they were not inclined to ruin a perfectly good set of camp gear.

The mtn man

Good story, Thanks!

outdoordawg

Wow! Awesome story and a good read. Thanks for the great post.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

carver

I enjoyed the story

SC Hunter

The writer has a way of wording his story so that I'm able to fully picture the whole story in my head like I was actually living it. That is something that makes a great writer and story teller.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Awesome story! I loved every minute of it :cool: The kids that don't have the chance to experience hunting with a mentor... so many kids that grow up in the city, and so many of them that would love to have this opportunity. I remember my own son getting to go to camp with his cousin, and how much he loved it. Eating breakfast in camp, hunting, the camaraderie of the other men and boys in camp... He could hunt at home but it just wasn't the same. My own nephew, who came once a year to hunt a day, two at the most, with me... he cherished every minute and dreamed of it and couldn't wait to shoot his first deer. When Georgia first started the youth weekend where 15 and under could hunt with a rifle on muzzleloader weekend, he came for probably the third year, and he shot his first deer, a six point buck. It now hangs very proudly on his wall, along with the eight point he shot on my property the next year. A city boy, that is country in heart and absolutely loves the woods and hunting. If you have the opportunity this year, take a kid hunting. It will give them memories they will forever cherish.

Attachments

• Aidan's buck 015b.jpg
    Aidan's buck 015b.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,746

SowGreen

i didnt read it i didnt have time but how long did it take you to right all this out??

I didn't write it a good friend of mine did. I don't know how long it took him to write it but I'm sure with how much of an impression this event made on him and how vivid his memories were of it that the words probably flew from his fingertips. When you have the time you should read it.

SowGreen

Awesome story! I loved every minute of it :cool: The kids that don't have the chance to experience hunting with a mentor... so many kids that grow up in the city, and so many of them that would love to have this opportunity. I remember my own son getting to go to camp with his cousin, and how much he loved it. Eating breakfast in camp, hunting, the camaraderie of the other men and boys in camp... He could hunt at home but it just wasn't the same. My own nephew, who came once a year to hunt a day, two at the most, with me... he cherished every minute and dreamed of it and couldn't wait to shoot his first deer. When Georgia first started the youth weekend where 15 and under could hunt with a rifle on muzzleloader weekend, he came for probably the third year, and he shot his first deer, a six point buck. It now hangs very proudly on his wall, along with the eight point he shot on my property the next year. A city boy, that is country in heart and absolutely loves the woods and hunting. If you have the opportunity this year, take a kid hunting. It will give them memories they will forever cherish.

Thanks Tomboy Boots. I hope my friend's story will inspire others to do the same.

papachaz

The writer has a way of wording his story so that I'm able to fully picture the whole story in my head like I was actually living it. That is something that makes a great writer and story teller.

yes indeed!

great story. As I read through that, it brought back so many memories of the first time I went hunting with a friend from school and his dad, and I knew NOTHING! but man what a great trip it was

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story!