Not one drop of blood

WishboneW

I’ve seen people shoot them with “ match grade” bullets and have similar results. I had that problem when I shot Hornady light magnums in a .308.. Small entrance, no exit, but it blew deer up on the inside like they swallowed a grenade. That’s why I quit shooting them.
Those were what I shot in my .308. I had opposite results. 165 grain interlock bullets

Hillbilly stalker

Those were what I shot in my .308. I had opposite results. 165 grain interlock bullets
Strange how that works. I was shooting Hornady out of Browning A bolt with a short barrel I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't remember which bullet Hornady used in that light magnum tho. Above someone mentioned the Winchester Deer Season. I switched from Cor Lokts to those in my .243 and I am tickled to death with those bullets. Two holes without a ton a damage. Ive killed 4 deer and 2 hogs with those. Good blood trails. Here's one I killed last Friday. Winchester Deer Season, you don't see blood at the impact sight like this with a .243.

WishboneW

Strange how that works. I was shooting Hornady out of Browning A bolt with a short barrel I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't remember which bullet Hornady used in that light magnum tho. Above someone mentioned the Winchester Deer Season. I switched from Cor Lokts to those in my .243 and I am tickled to death with those bullets. Two holes without a ton a damage. Ive killed 4 deer and 2 hogs with those. Good blood trails. Here's one I killed last Friday. Winchester Deer Season, you don't see blood at the impact sight like this with a .243.

Mine is a browning A bolt II. Micro Medallion with a 29 inch barrel.

Hornady discontinuing light magnum was the incentive for me to start reloading

basshappy

BANNED
His dad said, 150 grain winchester ammo. After all that tracking, he said he will no longer use it.

From what you said in your first post it likely was not the bullet, but it was the shot placement as to why there was no blood leaking from the deer.

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Same round in a better spot on a deer may likely produce plenty of blood leaking out of the deer. Could be an excellent first hand learning experience for the lad - chamber same cartridge and improve shot placement and see the difference in the blood from the second deer versus the first. Shot placement is critical.

44magpastor

Blood trails are very interesting to me.

My son shoots 95 grain SST's in his 243. The last buck he shot ran about 40 yards. Hit him just forward of the guts. The woods were painted with pink-red blood.

Last year I shot a buck, at 20 yards with a 200 grain Core-lok, from my 35. The bullet went through one shoulder and out the other. Buck ran about 60 yards, and there was very little blood.

I was surprised he ran at all.
Even more surprised at the lack of blood.

Glad we found both.

dhsnke

I’ve seen people shoot them with “ match grade” bullets and have similar results. I had that problem when I shot Hornady light magnums in a .308.. Small entrance, no exit, but it blew deer up on the inside like they swallowed a grenade. That’s why I quit shooting them.
I still shoot the Hornady Light Magnums in 7-08. Your description is spot on. I love them though. I never have a deer go over 20 yards when I shoot them. I rarely ever have a shot over 80 yards though. If anyone has any Hornady Light Magnums in 7-08 I will buy them.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
His dad said, 150 grain winchester ammo. After all that tracking, he said he will no longer use it.
Ok, well first off, WOOHOO! And big attaboy!!
Second , I’ll never shoot another round that has Winchester on the side of the box, ever. Turkey load LB XR, hard hit and still had multiple misfires, .22 magnums kept splitting brass and getting stuck in a bolt action rifle.
My buck last year was shot with Hornady American hunter in .308. It only went 25 yards but the hole was small and I couldn’t find it while I was looking him over, and no exit. Inside was destroyed and heart complete disconnected, laying inside. It did the job, but I am glad I didn’t have to track it…..

sportsman94

I have shot 150 grain Winchester PowerPoints out of my 308 for about 12 years (although I’ve mostly been a bow hunter). The last couple years the performance seems to have changed. I’ve gotten more not passing through. I shot a buck last year low in the shoulder on about a 40 yard shot. The deer only ran about 40-50 yards, but I never found any blood and didn’t get an exit. I shot a doe Saturday that was quartering to me. I hit her just inside of the shoulder towards the neck and the bullet stopped mid body just under the skin. She bled really good in the 40-50 yards she ran, but I don’t ever remember having bullets not pass through when I was first using these

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I’ve killed right at 75 with it and finally said to heck with it. (I love to experiment) of those 75, zero dropped right there, zero exited, zero left a blood trail. Many blew up when hitting the shoulder blade.

Do I read this correctly? Are you saying you killed 75 deer with the same bullet before you gave up on it?

You are a patient man!

FlipKing

I shot a nice buck at 170 yards with 6.5cm quartering hard to me. Bullet entered high front shoulder and came to rest near the opposite hip. Deer ran close to 150 yards and bled 1 single drop of blood. I know it wasn't the bullets fault. It was mine for taking that shot. Bullet devastated inside the buck though.

I shot a nice buck at 170 yards with 6.5cm quartering hard to me. Bullet entered high front shoulder and came to rest near the opposite hip. Deer ran close to 150 yards and bled 1 single drop of blood. I know it wasn't the bullets fault. It was mine for taking that shot. Bullet devastated inside the buck though.
It was the 6.5cm's fault. I absolutely despise that round for hogs and deer.

Great round for coyotes, which is what I use mine for now, but if I am shooting anything larger than a coyote I am grabbing a different gun.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
It was the 6.5cm's fault. I absolutely despise that round for hogs and deer.

Great round for coyotes, which is what I use mine for now, but if I am shooting anything larger than a coyote I am grabbing a different gun.
20220314_021952.jpg
Yep, totally sux. No blood trail either, DOA, 140 grain federal fusion

CarolinaDawg

A 14 year old boy took his first buck at our property Saturday morn. The deer stepped out at 55 yards and he shot him with a .308. The shot was shoulder high and maybe a few inches back from the ideal shot placement....but not a bad shot. We found not one drop of blood in the direction the deer went. And, i mean, not one. All i could do was track poop drops. The deer apparently crapped periodically along his route. We finally found him 155 yds away and still no blood. Not even at the pile up spot. I have never seen that. Not one speck of blood. We found the entrance hole and it was not bleeding at all. The only place we saw blood was from the mouth, and it wasnt very much. It was a new one for me.....
Same thing happened to me last year. Shot a nice buck opening morning at 50 yards and even though it was that close, I started questioning if I hit him because I couldn’t find a drop of blood anywhere. Found him dead as a hammer 40-50 yards away. Was a well placed shot with a .308 also.

furtaker

I have shot 150 grain Winchester PowerPoints out of my 308 for about 12 years (although I’ve mostly been a bow hunter). The last couple years the performance seems to have changed. I’ve gotten more not passing through. I shot a buck last year low in the shoulder on about a 40 yard shot. The deer only ran about 40-50 yards, but I never found any blood and didn’t get an exit. I shot a doe Saturday that was quartering to me. I hit her just inside of the shoulder towards the neck and the bullet stopped mid body just under the skin. She bled really good in the 40-50 yards she ran, but I don’t ever remember having bullets not pass through when I was first using these
They've probably softened them up. I don't think Core Lokts are as tough as they used to be either.

killerv

A trick I learned years ago, probably half truth half oldmans tale, look for grand daddy long legs, you'll find your spec of blood.

I shot a nice 8 probably 10 years ago running after a doe, shot him a little further back than I usually do, I guess due to the him hauling...across the field about 100 yards away. I thought I missed him. Took me 30 minutes to find that spec of blood, next to a grand daddy long longs...I about chalked it up to a miss. He was piled up in some of the nastiest stuff you've ever seen, maybe 75 yards from where I shot him..and the only blood I ever found was that one spec.

Notice next time you get a good blood trail, and notice the spiders near it. You probably never pay them any mind.

sportsman94

A trick I learned years ago, probably half truth half oldmans tale, look for grand daddy long legs, you'll find your spec of blood.

I shot a nice 8 probably 10 years ago running after a doe, shot him a little further back than I usually do, I guess due to the him hauling...across the field about 100 yards away. I thought I missed him. Took me 30 minutes to find that spec of blood, next to a grand daddy long longs...I about chalked it up to a miss. He was piled up in some of the nastiest stuff you've ever seen, maybe 75 yards from where I shot him..and the only blood I ever found was that one spec.

Notice next time you get a good blood trail, and notice the spiders near it. You probably never pay them any mind.

I’ve noticed that a bunch over the years. Especially early season evening hunts. I’ve tracked by spider eyes several times and told several buddies. Sure they all thought i was crazy