Enjoy your time...

Arrow3

These words mean even more to me after losing my dad back in January....

I knocked on the door and heard a shout from inside. "Come on in". The old man was in his chair, staring out the window like a dog that never gets out of his kennel. I walked over to the freezer and started putting packages of deer meat inside. I said "you want me to leave a pack thawing?" His eyes never left the window... He said "No, Jimmy probably has something planned". I sat next to the old hunter and stared at the trees in the park with him. I asked him some questions like "You eat all that bear meat I brought you? Jimmy taking good care of you? etc.. He would just mumble "yea", and never look away from the window.

Then he broke the silence after a few minutes of just staring and said, "Tell me about the hunt for that buck, He listened intently, but still never made eye contact. His eyes got glassy, as if he was about to shed a tear. He interrupted me and said, "You know, I was quite the hunter in my day". I said "I know"... He finally turned to me with a sad distressed look on his face and stared right into my eyes and said "Boy, you don't know how good you got it, The days go fast at your age, and you think you have forever. A man only has so many years in his prime. Don't ever waste a day... Not even one... I know you would rather get out in the woods than spend your time with an old cripple, get out of here, and go have some fun.

He turned back to the window and never said goodbye, and never thanked me... He meant well. He was just lost in whatever he was seeing out that window. His message came loud and clear when I got the call from Jimmy. That was the last time I saw the old man. My old friend's message still echo's in my mind... There comes a point in life where you realize the size of the buck will never equal the size of the adventure. One day your whole life might revolve around staring out a window remembering those adventures... Make sure you have a few to remember.

specialk

2nd season without mine, took a nice 6pt Sat morn, he would have done the same...my dad wont a horn hunter, he hunted for meat but has killed some nice bucks though.... only took what we could eat....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing Brandon. I know you miss your Dad every day and wish for just one more day with him.

I lost one of my best hunting buddies in 2006 when my oldest son died at age 24. His brother and I talk frequently about our hunting adventures together.

Don’t take anything for granted.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Great story B! You never know when it will be your last. Lost my dad in January 2016, took him on his last hunt in December of 2015, he was diagnosed September of 2015. But looking back the deer season of 2014 we both had no idea it would be his last full season where he felt good enough to go and had no idea he was sick.

GSUQUAD

It hits home. While never a hunter, my dad was an avid fisherman and my fishing buddy, but he always took pleasure in checking in with me or listening about my hunting. Two years later he is still the first person I want to call to tell about a hunt. I think it’s sapped a lot of the fun and desire out of it for me now. I wear his fishing hat while I hunt and carry his model 70, but it’s not the same anymore. Trying to keep the passion but it’s tough. I remember that stare all too well.

hawkeye123

Powerful story Brandon..the hardest thing about losing my dad 15 years ago is not having him to call when you have a good fishing trip, hunt or good round of golf..mine was very , very good at all 3 , so much better than me but you would never know by talking to him..man its dusty in here!

basshappy

BANNED
We must push away the material to stay focused on the real deal - family and friends, time well spent together. I would give almost anything to spend another day with my Gramps - wash him, wipe him, anything. Be present here and now, don't go to bed angry, don't not say good-bye or I love you.

DynamicDennis

Thank you for sharing, and making me tear up this morning. Reminds me of loss, the same I'm sure everyone reading has felt.

BamaGeorgialine

These words mean even more to me after losing my dad back in January....

I knocked on the door and heard a shout from inside. "Come on in". The old man was in his chair, staring out the window like a dog that never gets out of his kennel. I walked over to the freezer and started putting packages of deer meat inside. I said "you want me to leave a pack thawing?" His eyes never left the window... He said "No, Jimmy probably has something planned". I sat next to the old hunter and stared at the trees in the park with him. I asked him some questions like "You eat all that bear meat I brought you? Jimmy taking good care of you? etc.. He would just mumble "yea", and never look away from the window.

Then he broke the silence after a few minutes of just staring and said, "Tell me about the hunt for that buck, He listened intently, but still never made eye contact. His eyes got glassy, as if he was about to shed a tear. He interrupted me and said, "You know, I was quite the hunter in my day". I said "I know"... He finally turned to me with a sad distressed look on his face and stared right into my eyes and said "Boy, you don't know how good you got it, The days go fast at your age, and you think you have forever. A man only has so many years in his prime. Don't ever waste a day... Not even one... I know you would rather get out in the woods than spend your time with an old cripple, get out of here, and go have some fun.

He turned back to the window and never said goodbye, and never thanked me... He meant well. He was just lost in whatever he was seeing out that window. His message came loud and clear when I got the call from Jimmy. That was the last time I saw the old man. My old friend's message still echo's in my mind... There comes a point in life where you realize the size of the buck will never equal the size of the adventure. One day your whole life might revolve around staring out a window remembering those adventures... Make sure you have a few to remember.
Man, I read your post and three hours after I read it, my old man calls me and tells me that he has prostate cancer. Talk about hitting home. Appreciate the post. I will definitely take the advice and use it