Not one drop of blood

furtaker

Early on, the BT’s would expand very fast. Nosler constantly tinkered with each of their BT’s, most of the time toughening them up with thicker jackets, altering the composition of the lead, etc. Some went through 8-12 iterations before Nosler was happy with the terminal performance of a particular caliber and weight. Some were tough as nails from the get go….7mm 120 grain was tough as a brick, as it was specifically designed for metallic silhouette shooting. There are larger BT’s that are tough enough for elk hunting. If you like BT’s and I do, buy some current production bullets and you’ll be good to go.
Yeah they used to be highly fragile. The 130 .277 and 140 .284 were among the worst. The 95 .243 always had a reputation of being a pretty tough bullet. Personally I would still load the mid to heavy weight ones in most calibers especially if I was expecting a close shot.

godogs57

I’ve killed elk a moose a mtn goat black bears and everything else like mule deer pronghorn whitetail and hogs with 120 ballistic tips running at 2850. From my 20” 7mm-08. Max charge of h4350.the load is compressed and only runs at 257 roberts pressures. Like 44,000CUP as per Hodgdon data. I through

the load together in 2006- it shot clover leafs and I said it’ll be good enough for the girls I go out with… and went hunting. I’ve always alwYs always in my mind felt like it was anemic- but really it’s still within it’s operating velocity / expansion window clocking 1800 fps at around 550 yards at it’ll still shoot through an elk up close

I always want to work up a 3000 fps load for my rifle with varget or something but on everything from elk at 20 yards to pronghorns at 480 it’s been impeccable. I just can’t see changing anything.
That 120 grain 7mm is a little beast.

Buckstop

Yeah they used to be highly fragile. The 130 .277 and 140 .284 were among the worst. The 95 .243 always had a reputation of being a pretty tough bullet. Personally I would still load the mid to heavy weight ones in most calibers especially if I was expecting a close shot.

True. Had some less than desired results with the 140 Nos BT's in .284 about 25 or 30 yrs ago. Shot several over a couple seasons and seldom ever got a pass thru. Tended to highly fragment especially if hitting bone. Killed well enough but was just too fragile for my liking.

Have read reports of them being toughened up and others having better results in recent years. Have a batch of 150 BT's loaded up for my 308 win. Sure fly good. Will see how they do in the next few weeks on the deer.

Liberty

True. Had some less than desired results with the 140 Nos BT's in .284 about 25 or 30 yrs ago. Shot several over a couple seasons and seldom ever got a pass thru. Tended to highly fragment especially if hitting bone. Killed well enough but was just too fragile for my liking.

Have read reports of them being toughened up and others having better results in recent years. Have a batch of 150 BT's loaded up for my 308 win. Sure fly good. Will see how they do in the next few weeks on the deer.
I’d like to hear about the results. After deciding they were to soft for my 06, I loaded the rest into 308 cases thinking slower would be more favorable terminally.