One secret to killing more bucks ( the convo that changed my life)

bassculler

Im gonna make this as short and sweet as possible. I was in my mid 20s and had been asked to join a hunting club by a friend whose uncle we will call Mr Johnson, who appeared to be in his early 70s. Had owned a very successful hvac/ refrigeration company that his son had taken over. His wife had passed and he seemed very content doing what he loved...hunt, fish and camp.

As i was returning to camp one evening in late November ( 20 years ago), Mr Johnson had started a fire. He invited me to sit down and have a cup of coffee. The convo turned to hunting and I asked him the million dollar question.....how do i kill big bucks like you Mr Johnson. Although he certainly didnt want or need the accolades, he was known as a big buck killer.

Him- do you believe in God?
Me- yes sir I do
Him- do you talk to him every now and then?
Me- yes sir i do try
Him- do you get distracted with phone, life, work etc?
Me- yes sir, at times
Him- this is my advice. Quit going to academy and buying gimmicks ( we didnt have cabelas here at the time). Save your money for your wife and infant son. Get in the stand with the wind hitting your nose, stay warm, gun ready and talk to God. Just be sure to do more listening than talking.

Me- are you saying ask God to send a big buck?
Him- i dont think God cares about that. He just wants to talk to you. Im an old man now and realize the real importance of life. One day your boy will be gone, your wife may die before you. You are gonna need God. Start now....and, a big buck is just a bonus.

God rest his soul. That was a lesson i took to heart. Saved me some money and still talk to God to this day.

AJLBucks

Words to live by! God, family and everything else falls somewhere after those. Our time on earth is short, take advantage of it now and one day time won’t matter in eternity. Happy hunting and as a good friend of mine says, “Don’t forget to pray!”

killerv

I ask my son to pray before every hunt...if anything a silent one. More to keep us safe and bring us back home to the family.

I've seen too many people worked up over a big deer and spend money they didn't have. Literally consuming them. I'm glad I'm not that person. If it happens, it happens. Trick is to be in the woods and not on the couch.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Im gonna make this as short and sweet as possible. I was in my mid 20s and had been asked to join a hunting club by a friend whose uncle we will call Mr Johnson, who appeared to be in his early 70s. Had owned a very successful hvac/ refrigeration company that his son had taken over. His wife had passed and he seemed very content doing what he loved...hunt, fish and camp.

As i was returning to camp one evening in late November ( 20 years ago), Mr Johnson had started a fire. He invited me to sit down and have a cup of coffee. The convo turned to hunting and I asked him the million dollar question.....how do i kill big bucks like you Mr Johnson. Although he certainly didnt want or need the accolades, he was known as a big buck killer.

Me- yes sir I do
Me- yes sir i do try
Me- yes sir, at times
Him- this is my advice. Quit going to academy and buying gimmicks ( we didnt have cabelas here at the time). Save your money for your wife and infant son. Get in the stand with the wind hitting your nose, stay warm, gun ready and talk to God. Just be sure to do more listening than talking.

Him- i dont think God cares about that. He just wants to talk to you. Im an old man now and realize the real importance of life. One day your boy will be gone, your wife may die before you. You are gonna need God. Start now....and, a big buck is just a bonus.

God rest his soul. That was a lesson i took to heart. Saved me some money and still talk to God to this day.

Truth. ^

shdw633

I know my neighbors think I'm a weirdo when I come out and pace up and down my driveway in the evenings but I am talking to God while I do that. I use to do it only occasionally but it seems the older I get, the more I am conversing with him while I walk up and down that driveway.

Long time reader first time posting. I'm being led to share just one more secret and it comes straight from the book of Psalms 12:27. "The lazy roast not game but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt"
I actually read that in a Fall Fiction series right here on GON. One more little side note and if I've said it once I've said it a million times...."being in the deer woods is as close to God as you can get without dying". Everything out there is made by and given to us by God! I pray everyone have a safe deer season.

godogs57

First thing I do when I sit down in my stand…..thank Him for all my blessings, pray for those in need, thank Him for love and grace, thank Him for the sunrise.

If I get an animal, I thank Him for His gift. Last week when I got my elk…he got prayed over the first thing.

Agree with your old friend…..

Kootie

Long time reader first time posting. I'm being led to share just one more secret and it comes straight from the book of Psalms 12:27. "The lazy roast not game but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt"
I actually read that in a Fall Fiction series right here on GON. One more little side note and if I've said it once I've said it a million times...."being in the deer woods is as close to God as you can get without dying". Everything out there is made by and given to us by God! I pray everyone have a safe deer season.
Proverbs 12:27

poohbear

Me- yes sir I do
Me- yes sir i do try
Me- yes sir, at times

Very true when you stay right with the almighty God a lot of good things come your way, and another thing when he sends that Buck of a life time to you say another prayer of thanks

tcward

Me- yes sir I do
Me- yes sir i do try
Me- yes sir, at times

This is just simply awesome…