Indian owned convenience stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
First of all i know several of the owners of some of these stores and they are or seem to be good honest folks. However i know of 1 store that is skimming on tax money. If i go in the store and buy a pack of cigarettes they are wrung up as gas. Or sometimes even groceries. So therefore i'm sure he is selling stuff that is being paid for with an EBT card to other folks. Who would you call to report them? Or is there anything that can be done?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Georgia department of revenue

Reactions: Dub

T-N-T

I have seen plenty of stores use 2 registers. Cash on one and cards on the other. I dont shop there.
Mostly because the stores stink and are dirty, but ethics a little.

JackSprat

Probably a local office.

Ask a store you trust who audits their sales taxes.

FWIW, the sales tax unit of the Ga. Dept, of Revenue is probably the most aggressive unit, state or federal, in collecting taxes. It will shut down a business in a heartbeat if they think tax collections will be jeopardized.

walkinboss01

I know SEVERAL store owners due to the type of work I'm in and a large portion are dishonest. The whole C store business is a scam.

gadeerwoman

They aren't any more crooked than deer hunters using GATE cards to buy deer corn. Or pulling up to tractor supply, telling the clerk they are getting 2 bags of corn, then loading up 6 bags into their truck out front. Seems most folks these days suffer a serious lack of ethics.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I have a gate card. I wonder if when i buy corn it's used. They store it on there computer so i don't have to bring it out everytime. But if i go to a store and buy gas i should pay the gas tax or cigarettes i should pay that tax. My receipt should not show "Groceries"

GoldDot40

They don't care. I reported a few of them that I witnessed selling beer, cigarettes and even lottery on an EBT card. I reported one store more than once. Nothing ever happened to them. Think about it. The GA Dept of Rev is operated by a bunch of liberals...who are in favor of working the system for the most part.

There are far less honest ones than dishonest ones. I was a vender to these type places for 8 years in various towns. Most of them are very similar in their ways.

Patriot44

Banned
Go in and pull cash out and see what register they use then go back and pull out a card and watch them use a different register.

Jim Baker

Staff member
And yet there are folks that want them to collect the "Fair Tax" at another 23%. Instant temptation and increased profit for these operators.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A business near where I live tried to scam Ga DOR out of sales tax money they had collected.

It costed the owners their freedom and a lot of property. Both are serving time now. Big brother will be paid either now or later.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
What is a GATE card?
Fl Lottery Commission recently arrested one at one of our local stores. He tried to scam an undercover on a lottery ticket. When he was booked it was learned he was wanted by ICE. He is currently awaiting deportation.
??

Good riddance. He was also selling tobacco & alcohol to minors.

Christian hughey

What is a GATE card?
Fl Lottery Commission recently arrested one at one of our local stores. He tried to scam an undercover on a lottery ticket. When he was booked it was learned he was wanted by ICE. He is currently awaiting deportation.
??

(y)

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
What is a GATE card?
??

GATE card is Georgia Agriculture Tax Exempt card. Farmers/landowners that meet certain criteria can apply for it and by products related to the farm tax exempt.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Go to PCB and try to deal with the Russian's.. They run all the gas stations and the alvins n whaynot..
Plus.. Theryr rude as crap. They're about as fun As a chapped butt!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
And yet there are folks that want them to collect the "Fair Tax" at another 23%. Instant temptation and increased profit for these operators.

this is the biggest drawback to the FAIR TAX that I see. It puts the store in the mode of tax collector, and there is very little oversight. The only way I see FAIR TAX working is to go to a cashless society, where every transaction is done electronically, and the sales taxes are collected at the bank, not the merchant.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
this is the biggest drawback to the FAIR TAX that I see. It puts the store in the mode of tax collector, and there is very little oversight. The only way I see FAIR TAX working is to go to a cashless society, where every transaction is done electronically, and the sales taxes are collected at the bank, not the merchant.
With no income tax to collect, and not wanting to downsize the IRS, there will be plenty of bodies to fill the new jobs of retail tax audits and collections. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.