Whiting Biting?

tdenton

I have a couple young kids wanting to catch some fish on Saturday. Looks like decent weather. We normally fish out of Fort McCallister area. Should we target whiting in the sound or catfish up river? Any suggestions appreciated!

MajorMaes

Whiting should be good for this weekend. A few friends were wearing them out at F reef and my logs from last year this time has it as a good time to start targeting them again.

WalkinDead

Banned
A friend and I have been catching them well at St. Marys inlet. I would imagine you could do the same at the north and south ends of Jekyll Island in the sounds. We were catching the larger whiting in deeper water over live bottom.

tdenton

Thank you all for the help. Anyone familiar with the north end of ossabaw area? I’m just learning my way around.

tdenton

Well I don't know what I did wrong but I tried them on Saturday just off the north end of Ossabaw Island. Tide wasn't great, beginning of outgoing. Caught a couple stingrays and that was it. Then I went upriver toward Fort McCallister and fished a couple runouts and also caught stingrays. Went further upriver and did catch three white catfish. Lots of fishing and not much catching. About 5 hours worth!

WalkinDead

Banned
We were fishing 40 feet deep on the edge of the current as it left the jetties. Couldn't find them anywhere else, and we tried several popular places. It may be several weeks before they move into shallower water to spawn. The females all had row just starting to form; prime time is still weeks away. A combination of shrimp/squid was the key and they would hit just as you lifted it off the bottom.

tdenton

We were fishing 40 feet deep on the edge of the current as it left the jetties. Couldn't find them anywhere else, and we tried several popular places. It may be several weeks before they move into shallower water to spawn. The females all had row just starting to form; prime time is still weeks away. A combination of shrimp/squid was the key and they would hit just as you lifted it off the bottom.
Thank you that makes me feel better. I was primarily fishing in 15-20 feet and then in the river even more shallow. They weren't there yet!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I am not from area .....m staying on Tybee Island and do not know this area.....is St. Mary's near here or a long way off ?? Thanks !!!
Too far for a boat ride. On the southern tip of Ga coast.

Chap

Any whiting reports?

A friend of mine lit 'em up last weekend. He texted me a picture of about 40, and most of them were really big. He was fishing in Brunswick, had to get away from the St. Patty's crowd. I don't know where he launched from, but he did say the fish were not very deep.

WalkinDead

Banned
Last week at St. Marys, 74 total. Caught them at 35 feet. They're there if you can find them bunched up. Water was muddy today at the north end of Jekyll and Sidney Lanier bridge and water was running fast, didn't do nearly as well.

Attachments

• Whiting.jpg
    Whiting.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 12

BrileyDog

Yesterday fished the beaches of Jekyll and only caught 1 sting ray..lol.. I Walked the beaches trying different spots till I was slap wore out and my feet hurt. Then I went to the Jekyll peir to try something different in the evening, still nothing. Even tried Clam Creek where I was stalked by a bird trying to eat my Gulp at almost every cast, fish must have been scarce for him too, he was very persistent even through my yelling at him..lol.. Seemed I wasn’t the only one, I talked to lots of people on the beach and pier. Same story of lots of fishing and no fish sadly to say. The water was dirty with lots of seaweed and a bunch of dead jellyfish washed up on the beach.Hope Y’all have better luck then I did in the weeks to come. I’m so ready for some warmer water temperatures!!

Bream Pole

WOW Sure discourages me from trying tomorrow. Noticed Tides really high. May try Friday when low tide is occurs late morning. Thanks for the post and sorry you didn't fair better.

WalkinDead

Banned
The larger whiting appear to be much closer to spawning than the smaller ones is what I observed when filleting them. The roe isn't fully developed yet, but getting close.

Latest posts