How Archaeology Disproves Noah's Flood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok. Why? Can you lead me through your thought process?

I like the "When does life begin?" question, but were talking about when can you call a fertilized egg a human. Do you think there's a definite point and why or why not?
My thought process in my mind and reasoning is described in the Quickening section. Brain function that allows a fetus to respond to external stimuli. Prior to that, it is made up of cells doing what cells are designed to do and are unaware of themselves or external stimuli. In my mind, awareness seems to equal human.

ambush80

My thought process in my mind and reasoning is described in the Quickening section. Brain function that allows a fetus to respond to external stimuli. Prior to that, it is made up of cells doing what cells are designed to do and are unaware of themselves or external stimuli. In my mind, awareness seems to equal human.

We don't know that for certain. Consciousness is still deeply mysterious. Check this out:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We don't know that for certain. Consciousness is still deeply mysterious. Check this out:

Like with most things, I go with the best available information.
I agree with us not knowing the absolute accuracy of those figures, but it is what makes sense in my mind based off of what seems to be the majority of scientific and medical knowledge as of right now.
Until a brain is formed, I am unsure how much conciousness is available or when the part(s) of the brain responsible for conciousness are formed.

ambush80

Like with most things, I go with the best available information.
I agree with us not knowing the absolute accuracy of those figures, but it is what makes sense in my mind based off of what seems to be the majority of scientific and medical knowledge as of right now.
Until a brain is formed, I am unsure how much consciousness is available or when the part(s) of the brain responsible for consciousness are formed.

No one does.

atlashunter

There’s a study on that subject I was reading about the other day that is one of the more recent works on the subject where they think the earliest reflexes to stimulus are actually just nerve reflexes, not actual responses of the brain based on the degree of development in the first trimester. Basically the consensus from what I could gather was that the ability to feel pain didn’t come until the second trimester.

ky55

ambush80

There’s a study on that subject I was reading about the other day that is one of the more recent works on the subject where they think the earliest reflexes to stimulus are actually just nerve reflexes, not actual responses of the brain based on the degree of development in the first trimester. Basically the consensus from what I could gather was that the ability to feel pain didn’t come until the second trimester.

"Pain" That's an interesting word. Maybe we should discuss it.

WaltL1

Yep they sure have.
It takes a lot of time and effort to actually think about something for yourself.
Especially with subjects like this one.
Be a whole lot easier if we were told "here this is what you believe". ;)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yes, I have read up on the nerve reflex vs actual responses but I figure 10 to 12 weeks is getting close to the 2nd trimester and that period (in my head) is close enough to fit in the 2nd trimester of functions/growth with some wiggle room. It is just my thought process that says "close enough".

Israel

BANNED
Determining sentience is pretty subjective.

In one's self or in another?

Consensus, in particular, does not avail here.

I would tend more toward "I think, therefore I think I am".

Many may think...they think "a lot". (See the above few comments) Of those a probable (how could I be sure?) amount think they "think well". Or, think enough of themselves...to think so.

Even were a man to think/confess "I don't think I am thinking right" I trust you (Ambush) see the obvious conundrum...

Last edited:

ambush80

Many may think...they think "a lot". (See the above few comments) Of those a probable (how could I be sure?) amount think they "think well". Or, think enough of themselves...to think so.

Even were a man to think/confess "I don't think I am thinking right" I trust you (Ambush) see the obvious conundrum...

Thinking and reasoning and experimenting and discovering is the best way to determine what's true. One just keeps trying to say things that are true and that comport with reality and facts on the ground. One puts one's thoughts up against the thoughts of others and tries to determine which ones seem to describe what's real the best.

You seem to think this is an impossible task because you spend allot of time believing in fantasy. I'm speaking as truthfully as I can.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

I am glad you weren't thinking of things, the thoughts of all those things constantly being thought would be unthinkable.

hobbs27

Noah's flood was a local event. Common sense disproves a global event.