Outdoor hunting shows

buckpasser

The strange thing about hunting shows vs any other sports shows is this. If I watch college or NFL football, everyone on the field is better at football than me. If I watch baseball, tennis, golf, same thing. If I even watch a fishing show, they’re probably better at it than me.

There’s no tryouts for hunting shows. Many of these folks fell into a good opportunity. Some of them worked their way to a great career, but others just plain suck at hunting and entertainment. The corny product sales pitch is a turnoff but not a dealbreaker for me. Being less than a die hard, accurate shooting, respecter of the game you hunt type host gets you turned off the buckpasser TV permanently.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
This was supposed to be a thread about the hunting shows that you liked if any.can you imagine if we hate them that bad how much the antis must hate them. ???

reflexman

Snake Dodger
As far as cramming Products down your throat I get that too but I have a small business and the bills don’t pay themselves I tell my guys

livetohunt

The Drury's, I like Whitetail Properties when the Iowa guys are on, Heartland Bowhunter, The Lindsey Way, and the Crush. I also really like Winke's daily blogs during the hunting season. Once I see someone sitting over a big pile of bait I change the channel, which doesn't leave much to watch.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with you, but I can't say much about the others since I've never watched any of them. You said later you watched O'Neill Outside, check it out in August I just filmed an episode with him a few weeks ago.
Is he still making shows? I haven't seen his show in a long time. He is a member on here, but hasn't been on in a good while. What channel does his show come on now? I'd like to see it again.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The Drury's, I like Whitetail Properties when the Iowa guys are on, Heartland Bowhunter, The Lindsey Way, and the Crush. I also really like Winke's daily blogs during the hunting season. Once I see someone sitting over a big pile of bait I change the channel, which doesn't leave much to watch.

The other night I heard the term “kill plot” used. Lol. It’s just bait that grows

godogs57

I'm kind of the opposite, I guess. I like to watch people hunt in Africa, or the arctic or in the western mountains or the jungle for something unusual. Nothing is more boring to me on a hunting show than watching the 10,000,000th guy and cute chick sitting over a foodplot in Iowa shooting another 160" whitetail buck.

I haven't seen the "Raised Hunting" show yet, but I've got every hunting movie Fred Bear ever made on DVD. :cheers:

Agree with you on the Iowa food plot watchers. They are not too popular with their neighbors, I can assure you.

Got to meet Fred one time. Heck of a nice guy.

NickDeer

This isn't a TV show rather its on YouTube and their website, but I've always liked GrowingDeerTV, obviously they have product sponsors (They have to make money) but they aren't trying to shove it down your throat. They have good camera quality and I think are real people. Grant is big on faith in his show as well, his main line at the end of the show is always "Slow down everyday, be quiet, and listen to what the creator is saying to you"

BamaGeorgialine

Like Randy Newberg, MeatEater. Would like Shocky but can't get into all the out of the way places he hunts that I could not give a rip about. His show (and him) is fine...the locations and animals just don't make my propeller spin. Sasquatch's show is another goodun.

Just saw a new to me show on Discovery Channel this past week. Yes, Discovery Channel. Raised Hunting is the name. Really really liked it....not a 30 minute product placement commercial and didn't note any jumping and dancing when an animal was taken. The dialogue was terrific, the people were "real folks". I'm gonna make a point of checking it out again.

Back in the day I loved anything Fred Bear. Years ago I loved anything with Gene Wensel in it. Gene is the Michael Jordan of the traditional bowhunting world and happens to be a friend of mine. Great, knowledgeable, guy.
Raised Hunting used to be on the Sportsman's channel. I'm not sure why they took it off the air because everything on the Discovery channel is reruns. I liked it a lot as well. Real family hunting on their on family farm that they bought through hard work and an obsession with raising their children the right way is what I enjoyed the most about it. I guess they took it off because they weren't killing 200 inchers or maybe they killed a three year old! You know that a federal offense on most hunting shows. I do like Red Arrow because he doesn't give a crap. He'll shoot a decent eight pointer and be tickled about it

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Raised Hunting used to be on the Sportsman's channel. I'm not sure why they took it off the air because everything on the Discovery channel is reruns. I liked it a lot as well. Real family hunting on their on family farm that they bought through hard work and an obsession with raising their children the right way is what I enjoyed the most about it. I guess they took it off because they weren't killing 200 inchers or maybe they killed a three year old! You know that a federal offense on most hunting shows. I do like Red Arrow because he doesn't give a crap. He'll shoot a decent eight pointer and be tickled about it

Red arrow has the same rule I used to have with does
“If she blows she goes”

crucible02

Late to the conversation but:

1. Meateater
2. The Hunting Public (my favorite right now... real guys... real hunting... public land)
3. On Your Own Adventures - Randy Newberg
4. Deer Meat for Dinner (YouTube)
5. Hushin (YouTube)
6. SoloHunter

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If I got time to watch hunting shows on TV I got time to actually go and hunt so that's what I do.

NickDeer

Late to the conversation but:

1. Meateater
2. The Hunting Public (my favorite right now... real guys... real hunting... public land)
3. On Your Own Adventures - Randy Newberg
4. Deer Meat for Dinner (YouTube)
5. Hushin (YouTube)
6. SoloHunter
I watch Hushin a lot