Outdoor hunting shows

NickDeer

Late to the conversation but:

1. Meateater
2. The Hunting Public (my favorite right now... real guys... real hunting... public land)
3. On Your Own Adventures - Randy Newberg
4. Deer Meat for Dinner (YouTube)
5. Hushin (YouTube)
6. SoloHunter
and Deer Meat for Dinner

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Benny Spies is funny as all get out..if you can get over his accent. Haven’t seen his show aired in a while but it’s a hoot!

BamaGeorgialine

Late to the conversation but:

1. Meateater
2. The Hunting Public (my favorite right now... real guys... real hunting... public land)
3. On Your Own Adventures - Randy Newberg
4. Deer Meat for Dinner (YouTube)
5. Hushin (YouTube)
6. SoloHunter
I listen to The Hunting Public podcast on my way to work. I enjoy it, it just doesn't relate to public land hunting in the South. Cool show though

crucible02

I listen to The Hunting Public podcast on my way to work. I enjoy it, it just doesn't relate to public land hunting in the South. Cool show though

It doesn't fully relate but there are some things I've taken away that have just made me a better hunter. And they have done some Alabama turkey hunts on public land which have been nice.

Overall, I just like that they are a bunch of Average Joes who know how to hunt deer on public land. I mean, half the time, their camo doesn't match... which I think is awesome!

godogs57

Raised Hunting used to be on the Sportsman's channel. I'm not sure why they took it off the air because everything on the Discovery channel is reruns. I liked it a lot as well. Real family hunting on their on family farm that they bought through hard work and an obsession with raising their children the right way is what I enjoyed the most about it. I guess they took it off because they weren't killing 200 inchers or maybe they killed a three year old! You know that a federal offense on most hunting shows. I do like Red Arrow because he doesn't give a crap. He'll shoot a decent eight pointer and be tickled about it

Know what you mean about the 200 inchers. With my job here, I had experiences with many of the TV show folks. Had one guy contact me and asked me if he could come hunt my property for his TV show...then the request gets twisted. He said he would only come down if I could guarantee him a buck "at the minimum of 140 inches...or better, or I'm not coming". Huh? You call me and ask me to hunt on my spot, then you put conditions on your "request" for an invitation? That's crazy. He approached me...certainly not the other way around.

I politely told him we don't have many, if any, 140 class bucks here in Lee County and thanks for calling :censored:. I did have Daryl Kirby over to video our son's hunt after he won his truck. It was for the old GON TV show, which I wish they still had. He made a nice 195 yard heart shot for the show.

Raised Hunting, being "taken" off the Sportsman Channel might have happened due to business reasons. The usual and customary business model of a hunting show is very different than normal network shows. A person buys air time to broadcast their show on Outdoor or Sportsman's channels. Those channels don't approach a hunter and say "Hey big buck killer, we'd like for you to put your show on our channel and we'll pay you $xxx to star in it". You basically buy airtime to get your show established. This is exactly why the stars are so attached to their sponsors! They foot most, or all, of the bills to be able to broadcast your show. I've heard prices of $20,000 and up to broadcast a show. Once it gets rolling and you are seen as an "influencer", then things are different, business wise.

Last edited:

BamaGeorgialine

It doesn't fully relate but there are some things I've taken away that have just made me a better hunter. And they have done some Alabama turkey hunts on public land which have been nice.

Overall, I just like that they are a bunch of Average Joes who know how to hunt deer on public land. I mean, half the time, their camo doesn't match... which I think is awesome!
I don't disagree with you at all. I enjoy every aspect and any advice I can get. Shoot, I'll try it brother. What's the worst case scenario, it doesn't work. Oh well, good to know, let's try something else then. When you know everything is when you stop learning. I'd like to still continue trying new things and learning until the day I croak!

Josh051285

I like to watch The Hunting Public channel on YouTube. They only hunt public land, there pretty darn good and there editing is great

Gajbird

Raised Hunting used to be on the Sportsman's channel. I'm not sure why they took it off the air because everything on the Discovery channel is reruns. I liked it a lot as well. Real family hunting on their on family farm that they bought through hard work and an obsession with raising their children the right way is what I enjoyed the most about it. I guess they took it off because they weren't killing 200 inchers or maybe they killed a three year old! You know that a federal offense on most hunting shows. I do like Red Arrow because he doesn't give a crap. He'll shoot a decent eight pointer and be tickled about it

Know what you mean about the 200 inchers. With my job here, I had experiences with many of the TV show folks. Had one guy contact me and asked me if he could come hunt my property for his TV show...then the request gets twisted. He said he would only come down if I could guarantee him a buck "at the minimum of 140 inches...or better, or I'm not coming". Huh? You call me and ask me to hunt on my spot, then you put conditions on your "request" for an invitation? That's crazy. He approached me...certainly not the other way around.

I politely told him we don't have many, if any, 140 class bucks here in Lee County and thanks for calling :censored:. I did have Daryl Kirby over to video our son's hunt after he won his truck. It was for the old GON TV show, which I wish they still had. He made a nice 195 yard heart shot for the show.

Raised Hunting, being "taken" off the Sportsman Channel might have happened due to business reasons. The usual and customary business model of a hunting show is very different than normal network shows. A person buys air time to broadcast their show on Outdoor or Sportsman's channels. Those channels don't approach a hunter and say "Hey big buck killer, we'd like for you to put your show on our channel and we'll pay you $xxx to star in it". You basically buy airtime to get your show established. This is exactly why the stars are so attached to their sponsors! They foot most, or all, of the bills to be able to broadcast your show. I've heard prices of $20,000 and up to broadcast a show. Once it gets rolling and you are seen as an "influencer", then things are different, business wise.

Raised Hunting decided on their own after being approached by Discovery just like every other show that was on the Outdoor Channel to swap... They ALL pay for every bit of air time on either channel.. They show some re-runs and some new on Discovery because Discovery asked them to introduce themselves to the new viewers that's why Ole Dan (the dog episode) was the very first episode to air on Discovery, Then the Hope episode which is about my best friend's wife's battle with breast cancer… their first episode this year was new and promoted their book.
I have been with another owner of one of the larger shows when he found a $31,000 error on the amount of air time he was charged for. Folks on here have very little understanding of the model that the Outdoor channels have or they would be much more tolerant of the sponsor promotion. When it takes roughly $20,000 per episode to put a show out there and sponsors are asked to give money as well as product it becomes much like Nascar and Tournament archery where they expect a return on investment.
I'm friends with at least 5 show owners and none...NONE of them consider themselves experts nor do (most of them) feel like celebrities... Let's be honest The Buck Commander owners are celebrities as well as millionaires...BUT even at that all Adam LaRoche ever refers to himself as is a "Baseball player" … he now spends most of his time fighting Sex Trafficking all over the world.
I have spent several days with several of these people and to see who the public thinks are "REAL" and who is not makes it hard not to get on these forums and clear some things up... just understand what you see is not always what you get and if it seems to good to be true it probably is (editing is like magic)... The Buck Commanders do not need money or fame from the hunting show so they can be "Real"...
Randy Birdsong of HeadHunters TV is the most genuine, real, and giving person in the industry... next week he and his family will have a banquet and shoot in Missouri that will probably raise over $200,000 for St. Judes..last year we raised and donated over $150,000 and nowhere is that promoted on his show.
There is a new show called God, Family, and Hunting on the Sportsman Channel...It's the Perryman family originally from Jacksonville Florida... There are no more real or Godly people out there.

Last edited:

BamaGeorgialine

Raised Hunting decided on their own after being approached by Discovery just like every other show that was on the Outdoor Channel to swap... They ALL pay for every bit of air time on either channel.. They show some re-runs and some new on Discovery because Discovery asked them to introduce themselves to the new viewers that's why Ole Dan (the dog episode) was the very first episode to air on Discovery, Then the Hope episode which is about my best friend's wife's battle with breast cancer… their first episode this year was new and promoted their book.
I have been with another owner of one of the larger shows when he found a $31,000 error on the amount of air time he was charged for. Folks on here have very little understanding of the model that the Outdoor channels have or they would be much more tolerant of the sponsor promotion. When it takes roughly $20,000 per episode to put a show out there and sponsors are asked to give money as well as product it becomes much like Nascar and Tournament archery where they expect a return on investment.
I'm friends with at least 5 show owners and none...NONE of them consider themselves experts nor do (most of them) feel like celebrities... Let's be honest The Buck Commander owners are celebrities as well as millionaires...BUT even at that all Adam LaRoche ever refers to himself as is a "Baseball player" … he now spends most of his time fighting Sex Trafficking all over the world.
I have spent several days with several of these people and to see who the public thinks are "REAL" and who is not makes it hard not to get on these forums and clear some things up... just understand what you see is not always what you get and if it seems to good to be true it probably is (editing is like magic)... The Buck Commanders do not need money or fame from the hunting show so they can be "Real"...
Randy Birdsong of HeadHunters TV is the most genuine, real, and giving person in the industry... next week he and his family will have a banquet and shoot in Missouri that will probably raise over $200,000 for St. Judes..last year we raised and donated over $150,000 and nowhere is that promoted on his show.
There is a new show called God, Family, and Hunting on the Sportsman Channel...It's the Perryman family originally from Jacksonville Florida... There are no more real or Godly people out there.
I was joking around a little bit about 200 inchers. Who wouldn't want to have an opportunity to grow deer that big? I would. I'm not into watching hunters shoot 200 inch deer high fenced or under feeders but, that's just me. I don't doubt that these fellas that you speak of are great people and work hard at their profession. Keep up the good work with your fundraising and I hope that it doesn't go unappreciated.

BamaGeorgialine

I was joking around a little bit about 200 inchers. Who wouldn't want to have an opportunity to grow deer that big? I would. I'm not into watching hunters shoot 200 inch deer high fenced or under feeders but, that's just me. I don't doubt that these fellas that you speak of are great people and work hard at their profession. Keep up the good work with your fundraising and I hope that it doesn't go unappreciated.
I wasn't saying that you or your buddies were hunting high fenced areas or under feeders either. I just wanted to clear that up

Gajbird

Yes sir I agree with you totally.... I have told every one of them... "I don't care about your show or getting on camera but if you mess up and ask me to go hunting...I'm gonna be there with bells on". I have gotten to hunt some adjacent properties and some of the same outfitters but I haven't been invited to the E3 or anything like that to hunt. I am their friend but not that close...lol

Yeah there are those who hunt High fence I'm sure but not the ones I know...they have as much disdain for that as we do... I've hunted with Headhunters twice at the same outfitter and both times they were unsuccessful. I was blessed to kill a decent 8 one of those trips.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

The strange thing about hunting shows vs any other sports shows is this. If I watch college or NFL football, everyone on the field is better at football than me. If I watch baseball, tennis, golf, same thing. If I even watch a fishing show, they’re probably better at it than me.

There’s no tryouts for hunting shows. Many of these folks fell into a good opportunity. Some of them worked their way to a great career, but others just plain suck at hunting and entertainment. The corny product sales pitch is a turnoff but not a dealbreaker for me. Being less than a die hard, accurate shooting, respecter of the game you hunt type host gets you turned off the buckpasser TV permanently.

Have a friend that is in the sporting industry.

Like godawgs said All it takes is the money to buy a spot on a channel.

jgunnsmith

I like some of the YouTube stuff

Hushin
Born and Raised Outdoors
The Hunting Public
The Experience
Clay Hayes

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How do some of these shows producers sleep at night with some of the awful shots they make and put on tv? I can see using it as a learning or teaching experience but some of these shows

I don’t know

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You can mumble “it was a good shot” all you went to but the camera shows otherwise

buckpasser

I watched one last night that made a very high middle of the body archery shot at close range. I would have been horrified and disappointed, but the TV hunter was pumped. He told his cohorts back at camp that he made a good “middle of the body” shot.

They did recover the deer that night though.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I like Donnie Vincent's stuff. You have to order his movies though. I also like Steve Isdahl of howtohunt.com. lots of stuff on YouTube and he has his own app. I wouldn't trade my wife and daughter for anything but that guy knew at an early age that he wanted his life to be all about hunting, fishing, and the outdoors so he has never gotten married and buddy he lives the life.