Give me some healthy eating options please

Arrow3

Me and my wife are doing our best to eat better. We both have neglected ourselves for way too long and I'm approaching my mid 40s. It's past time to get a hold of my eating habits. 2 years ago I lost 90 lbs and I gained 80 of it back. I've been doing pretty good lately and have shed about 20 of it back off. I'm tired of eating grilled chicken and salad though. ... We both really love shrimp but I've never really tried cooking it on the grill . What's yalls favorite method keeping it healthy to eat. All other suggestions are welcome.

sinclair1

I can offer some menu items but you have to pick a philosophy. There's Keto, Paleo, whole food Vegan and a few others. I have done and recorded the yearly numbers of every one of the philosophies as I have done each for twelve months.

Currently eating massive amounts of protein, mostly beef. Vitals are excellent, but not as good as they were on whole foods vegan, but that diet is hard mentally.

Arrow3

Lean protein and green vegetables. I drink over a gallon of water a day. Only drink water. Have a cheat day every 8 to 10 days to kick my system back in motion.

sinclair1

Lean protein and green vegetables. I drink over a gallon of water a day. Only drink water. Have a cheat day every 8 to 10 days to kick my system back in motion.
Do you know the problem sustaining what you done last time? Bored or sweet tooth? My wife battles the sweet tooth, it's a tough one.

Dub

Eliminate all processed sugar.

Our bodies don't need it.....even though we may like the flavor. :rofl:

When I'm trying to loose weight I get dialed in on how many calories I can take in on a daily basis and stay below that amount. Dropping sugar and starches in addition to staying below this number is critical.

Good luck.

Losing it is, for me at least, the easy part. Keeping it off is the tough part. It's either a case of full discipline or caution to the wind. Getting dialed in on a good daily plan is the tricky part.

I've been trying to get to live under that daily calorie allotment. Stay in a deficit, so to speak. In that....all things in moderation should apply...but I don't do moderation so well on some things. Sugar, for instance. If I eat something high in sugar......an hour later I want more. Those same calories spent on a nice piece of salmon and greens, however...leaves me satisfied for several hours.

The part that was really screwing me up was beer calories. They added up quickly on days off work. I cut out all alcohol back in February and haven't been missing it. Heck....on a day off I was easily consuming enough calories in beer alone that I'd exceed my total daily calorie intake goal.

There will be those that say they wouldn't want to live without their beer and starches. They may be working hardcore on the other side of the daily calorie equation and burning way more calories.....highly active.....thusly allowing them to take more in and still remain in a deficit.

Gotta find what works best for you.

For me it's best / easiest when I cut out sugar, alcohol and limit starches. My body doesn't need any of them to live and I don't crave them when I eliminate them completely.

You'll read a thousand different diets....some legit....some are wacko.

It all comes down to basic math. You have to burn more calories than what you take in. It's all in how you want to spend those calories and how your can increase the burning of them.

Last edited:

GA1dad

For the last few weeks I've cut out sugar and have been trying to only eat between 10 am and 6 pm,,,, then fast the remaining times. We are having desserts on weekends, but in moderation of course. It's actually been quite easy, and I am averaging 2 lbs a week lost without extra exercise beyond working for a living.

ryork

I’ve lost 17 lbs since early May, and you can tell from my posts on here that I haven’t stopped eating! I’ve reduced significantly potatoes, rice, bread, and Gatorade. I’ve also stopped having eggs, sausage, grits, etc for bfast dang near every day to a couple days a week and replaced that with a banana, some pineapple etc, that’s been hard.... Haven’t changed my activity level. I think a lot of folks get way too caught up in the “name” diets. I went from 226 to 209 in that timeframe and I weighed 195 in the 8th grade and about 202 or so when I was 18, of course there was much more muscle then.....

shdw633

I have a recipe that is a little on the spicy side but that is good if you are trying to lose weight as spicy food curbs appetites. I use Orange Roughy or Shrimp, though I think it will work with most any white mild fish. I blacken the fish with a cajun spice, salt and pepper. Heat a thin coat of olive oil in pan and then do a quick sear on the fish/shimp, this won't take long. Take the fish/shrimp out and then add a cup of chicken broth, a cup of your favorite salsa and some hot sauce to taste, i.e. the level of heat you want. Let this reduce until about half and then place the fish/shrimp back in the mixture and reduce until you have a nice consistency and plate over wild rice.

pop pop jones

I grill my shrimp and brush on a little bbq sauce, when I flip them. It's not pudding on there, just a light coating

fatback

As far as grilling shrimp goes I like to marinated in pirates gold and grill. Don’t over cook. Another good way to cook shrimp or fish is to season with zatarains seasoning and cook in a little olive oil. Both ways are very tasty. Dub hit the nail on the head though. Caloric deficit is the key. I’ve managed to loose 95 pounds since June of 2018 till now. I track all of my food and calories burned and try to stay around 1000-1500 deficit a day. Good luck on losing the weight you want to loose

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
BigB, I lost over 60lbs and have kept it off for 3 years. I went low carb for about a year and half. Cheated 'bout once a week after the first month. Now I eat what ever I want, but in very small quantities. Gimme a holla sometime.

Patriot44

Banned
Low carb and hike, run, walk, mow grass, clean the garage, build deer stands, wade the hooch,.....keep moving. It doesn't matter how little you eat and how low calorie or carbs, uou have to burn more than you take in. Simple as that.

We are runners both being Army vets, but now in our mid 40's the toll that running for 5-7 miles hurts. We limit to short 2-3 mile runs and try to hike 15-20 miles per month. In 2015, we hiked 240 miles Jan-June but it gets too dang hot. We 'keep moving' as a couple and family, and we have found some really cool places in NGa/TN/AL/NC by getting off the beaten path hiking.

Good luck.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I have lost 40 lbs since May. I have almost totally given up bread or bread products. It really wasn't that hard as I have never been a bread with every meal person. I also cut WAY back on the beers! Can't tell you the last time I had a soda.
I eat a lot of raw veggies .... To some that's a punishment, but to me I have always loved them with Italian dressing.
Water, water, water... I drink a gallon of water every day.