Rifle guy looking to buy my first 1911 but don't want to drop a grand on one

drumbum77

Banned
Good evening folks,

Those who have experience with them, what can y'all recommend? I've been looking at the Rock Island brand. They any good? Reliable? Also, anyone have experience with SDS?

Like I said, I'm more of a rifle guy. As far as pistols go, I have a 80's Ruger Blackhawk, K frame nickel plated 686, a G43, G19, and a Ruger Mark iii hunter. I've never owned a 1911, but I have heard they can be REALLY finicky and are not reliable. Is that the case in y'alls experience?

Thanks

Good evening folks,

Those who have experience with them, what can y'all recommend? I've been looking at the Rock Island brand. They any good? Reliable? Also, anyone have experience with SDS?

Like I said, I'm more of a rifle guy. As far as pistols go, I have a 80's Ruger Blackhawk, K frame nickel plated 686, a G43, G19, and a Ruger Mark iii hunter. I've never owned a 1911, but I have heard they can be REALLY finicky and are not reliable. Is that the case in y'alls experience?

Thanks
Carried one for most of my twenty years in the Army . Never had one fail. Owned a Colt 1911 combat commander never had a failure or a misfire. Now all these modern 1911 models I can’t speak for but I have seen some that look like junk. The reason I don’t carry one now is the weight. I carry a glock 22 40 and it’s light . But the 1911 is good for a single action auto. I’m sure some are modified to double action but I don’t have that knowledge.good luck

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Rock island are a good entry level 1911 as are American Tactical Imports, both are built in the Philippines.

My EDC is an ATI, it always goes bang with my choice of carry ammo.

I probably have owned just about every production 1911 out there and once you get to the name brand made in USA ones it becomes a matter of choice!!

Best advice I can give is find a gun store with a range that will rent you guns and shoot the different ones.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Rock Island is FINE stuff...Got a 3.5 inch carry type in a trade. I have shot and shot the thing, and it'll eat it all...

Even 30 year old handloaded 185 lead semi wadcutters that have lived loose in ammo cans.

Mine is a CS something or other, has G10 grips and nice Novak type sights. I carry it a LOT.

Would buy another anytime... Can't go wrong.

Robert28

I have a Colt Mark 4 series 70 that I only paid $740 for new. They’ve discontinued my particular model and they now go for $900 or more. If I didn’t own it, I’d look at a Tisas GI model or something like that. Those can be had for $399 or less.

transfixer

I've owned a few over the years, from Colts to Dan Wesson's, Rock Island Armory and probably a couple frankenstein builds, Rock Island's have some affordable ones, ATI's are affordable and I'd be willing to check them out, haven't seen one in person. Springfield Armory makes some good ones, I believe most on the market today are trouble free, its usually the mags that give you trouble the most I believe, if you've got good mags you'll have no issues.

Hillbilly stalker

I carried a Remington 1911 for 2 years and then a Ithaca 1911 for almost 2 more. Never....not one....failure to feed or failure to fire. Not one glich. I never saw one in my platoon that was finicky. They ate everything we put in them. Totally reliable, and they were rattling wore out sounding things. I couldn’t say about the newer ones tho.

sbroadwell

Last year I was wanting one, and had decided on the Rock Island, having heard good things about it. But, I had $600 worth of Bass Pro cards I got from frequent hotel stays. BPS didn't carry the Rock Island. But, they did have a Remington R1. I hadn't heard anything good about Remington in awhile.

But, I said, what the heck. With taxes I ended up paying $18. Brought it home, it worked great, except with one of the magazines. I bought two Wilson Combat mags, and have about 1,000 rounds without a problem. Put some Pachmyer grips on and really like it.
1911.jpg

bullgator

Ruger and Springfield Armory both make reliable 1911s for well under $1000

WGSNewnan

for the money, the metro arms american classic 2 is probably the best bang for the buck. it too is made in the phillipines but not by armscor.

Dub

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm gonna get the Rock Island CS Ultra Tactical.

When looking for a first 1911 there is a lot to consider....lots of options.

It seems that everyone is now making one.

All aren't equal. There are a lot of junk guns on the market from companies who just are trying to tap into the cash flow and there are companies that actually know how to make a good 1911 and they stand behind it.

I'd do some research on the customer service provided by each company. I'd also be concerned about the financial standing of the company in today's market. This COVID19 stuff is going to destroy many business and hinder entire industries. Even though gun sales have picked up....many manufacturers remain stuttered due to where their manufacturing occurs. Communist states and such.

There are lots of experienced customers out there who will proudly discuss their own encounters. Companies that have done well by their customers will stand out in your research.

Likewise the companies that have sucked in customer service will stand out, too.

There are also companies that jump on every stylistic bandwagon and promote their wares in slick looking magazine adds....unfortunately the beauty is only skin deep. They use ill-fitted internals the don't hold up under serious use.....but they look good and thusly people jump on their defensive fanhood endorsement.

Rock Island Armory is a company that has stood out in a positive way. Their slides and frames aren't forged, but they do seem to hold up to scrutiny under moderate usage. It's not a gun that many gunsmiths will accept as a base gun to more elaborate work on....but then again, nor is RIA charging high prices.

They offer a gun that works and they stand behind it.

Their guns seem (I've never tried) to accept standard aftermarket parts as the pin locations and such all line up. That may or may not be something that matters to you.

You seemed to have selected a gun with a beavertail grip safety. Well done. No hammer bite or other snags. No need for band aids after long range sessions. :rofl:

More importantly, you'll be able to take a very high grip on the weapon. This will greatly assist with accuracy, recoil mitigation and recovery from shot to shot. Don't go ruin this feature with stupid grips that don't allow you to take advantage of beavertails allowance for a high grip.

The gun you mentioned:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-cs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51470---TAC-Ultra-CS.jpg

Also take a look at the full-sized version, too:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51485---TAC-Ultra-FS.jpg

The benefits of the 5" are using full capacity magazines (you can use full-sized mags in the CS model...they will simply protrude), longer grip, longer sight radius and a bushing-equipped barrel. Reliability is generally better in 5" guns....as a rule. There are some manufacturers that have had great success with their 4" & 4.25" guns. That's a mighty short barrel on that CS model you are looking at. Be prepared to have to do some significant load testing to ensure you get a smooth & reliable result. That can get pricey if you wind up with a picky gun. 3.6" is an oddball size and you may encounter issues getting replacement springs, where a 5" gun will be easy to find aftermarket springs for.

I have a 5" version, but in 10mm. They use the bull barrel (like in the CS model you are looking at) in that gun. I don't mind, as I have other bull-barreled 1911's. The takedown isn't quite as easy as the bushing barrel, but there are shortcut methods you'll learn.

Still.....for a first 1911, it's hard to not recommend getting the conventional bushing config.

As far as my 5" Rock. I've found the finish to be a good matte parkerized surface that arrived coated in preservative (guns are shipped over in a slow boat from China....or close....lots of preservative was a welcome sight). Full field strip right away and wiped down with Kroil soaked cloth. Left it out overnight and then wiped down again and reassembled adding a top-notch gun oil.

Break-in sessions have been very positive The gun is very accurate. It's fed 100% reliable with the three brands of factory ammo I've tried (two were ball, one was hp).

The fiber optic front sight is super. I'll be able to easily replace the rods when it wears out (breaks or solvent weakens). The rear adjustable sight has stayed on target. I'm not a big fan of adjustable rears...some folks love them. These, at least, are a low profile version. I'll be blacking out the rear white dots.

Trigger on my gun is to my liking. No complaints.

Slide (thumb) safety needs work. It is too easily defeated. For hunting, though....that may not be a bad thing as it's nice & quiet.

The beavertail grip safety offers almost zero resistance. This I don't care for. I'll be adjusting it after I get more rounds downrange and do a detailed disassembly.

Both of these items could likely be addressed right away by RIA/ARMSCOR customer service, but it's not an issue that I feel the need to involve the on.

The magwell used on this pistol is merely a clip-on model that slides into place with tabs that fit beneath the lower grip screws. It does it's job and is easily taken off if you'd like to run the gun without it.

To rail....or to not rail. To full rail or 3/4 rail. Many considerations.

For ccw I don't personally select railed guns. Just my preference. For home defense or other uses they shine. Pun intended. A weapon light on a nightstand gun is a welcome addition.

The weapon light is mighty useful when shooting on indoor ranges. Doesn't seem to matter what type of sights you have when shooting indoors. Unless the range is equipped with stellar lighting....you'll likely be like me and gripe about all the front sight styles. Flipping on a weapon light is a nice workaround.

Last edited:

Dub

One other point I'll make at this time.

I feel it's only fair to do so.

Glocks are wonderful guns. They perform at a high level and are mighty reliable. The company has stood behind them and will no doubt continue to.

They have a local headquarters which is really cool.

For the same price as a budget 1911 you'll have a pistol that will function every time and eat factory loads like a hungry yard dog. They don't require special attention...can be left out in the yard and will still protect you and yours.

They even come pre-lubed outa the box...ready to run 1,000+ rounds as soon as you can take the gun out and load the magazines.

Minimal maintenance.

There. I've said it.

That was my obligatory attempt at a public service announcement.

If you still choose to get a 1911 then keep this in mind.

I say all that to say this.....a 1911 isn't a Glock.

It's a piece of history...made of steel and wood.....or alloy in some frames.

It can be infinitely refined and customized to your liking.

There is an industry of gunsmiths who can take a solid base gun and turn it into a whatever you want gun: ultra-accurate or ultra-reliable or ultra-attractive......or some combination of each. All it will take from you is money and patience. :rofl:

There are semi-custom companies that will put such a gun in your hands, too.

It's conceivable that once you shoot your first 1911, you'll really like it. The heft, the awesome trigger the well-mannered handling and natural grip angle. Sights can be changed (some guns make it easier than others....but sights can be swapped to your liking).

If you like it....then it's also conceivable that you'll want others....they carry great and they also do a pile of other things great.

They may or may not take some final fitting. This is due to guns that are made with close tolerances on the slide-to-frame. CNC machines have really helped with these tighter tolerances.

The final fitting comes from you...the owner....and is done at the range with some break-in ammo. During this you may encounter failure to return to full battery, failure to eject, failure to feed.

Many of these are magazine related. Load your magazines fully for a couple days prior to the first session. Leave them loaded for a week or so. Feed lips can also be adjusted but this is rare.

Extractors may need tweaking. This is something that should be common knowledge to anyone who is wanting to adopt the 1911.

Once you shoot the 1911 a while you'll know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Youtube is your friend. Tons of assembly/disassembly/adjustment footage there.

They are not Glocks.

They may require some additional knowledge from the owner. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

I, for one, feel that the the challenge is minimal and the reward is great. I'd argue with anyone about the many virtues of the 1911 and the fact that is an amazing weapon.

Some, however, simply want what a Glock offers and don't care to accept their may be additional work required on their part. They find it appalling that things such as "break-in sessions" may be required.

I understand them and don't have a dog in the fight. The G19 hasn't become one of the most significant guns every developed for no small reason.

I like Glocks and respect them. I simply prefer the 1911 and don't mind additional effort, if any, it may take to field-trial one and count on it.

krizia829

Can't go wrong with a Springfield Range Officer! Love that thing! Hoping to get myself one someday!

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
When looking for a first 1911 there is a lot to consider....lots of options.

It seems that everyone is now making one.

All aren't equal. There are a lot of junk guns on the market from companies who just are trying to tap into the cash flow and there are companies that actually know how to make a good 1911 and they stand behind it.

I'd do some research on the customer service provided by each company. I'd also be concerned about the financial standing of the company in today's market. This COVID19 stuff is going to destroy many business and hinder entire industries. Even though gun sales have picked up....many manufacturers remain stuttered due to where their manufacturing occurs. Communist states and such.

There are lots of experienced customers out there who will proudly discuss their own encounters. Companies that have done well by their customers will stand out in your research.

Likewise the companies that have sucked in customer service will stand out, too.

There are also companies that jump on every stylistic bandwagon and promote their wares in slick looking magazine adds....unfortunately the beauty is only skin deep. They use ill-fitted internals the don't hold up under serious use.....but they look good and thusly people jump on their defensive fanhood endorsement.

Rock Island Armory is a company that has stood out in a positive way. Their slides and frames aren't forged, but they do seem to hold up to scrutiny under moderate usage. It's not a gun that many gunsmiths will accept as a base gun to more elaborate work on....but then again, nor is RIA charging high prices.

They offer a gun that works and they stand behind it.

Their guns seem (I've never tried) to accept standard aftermarket parts as the pin locations and such all line up. That may or may not be something that matters to you.

You seemed to have selected a gun with a beavertail grip safety. Well done. No hammer bite or other snags. No need for band aids after long range sessions. :rofl:

More importantly, you'll be able to take a very high grip on the weapon. This will greatly assist with accuracy, recoil mitigation and recovery from shot to shot. Don't go ruin this feature with stupid grips that don't allow you to take advantage of beavertails allowance for a high grip.

The gun you mentioned:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-cs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51470---TAC-Ultra-CS.jpg

Also take a look at the full-sized version, too:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51485---TAC-Ultra-FS.jpg

The benefits of the 5" are using full capacity magazines (you can use full-sized mags in the CS model...they will simply protrude), longer grip, longer sight radius and a bushing-equipped barrel. Reliability is generally better in 5" guns....as a rule. There are some manufacturers that have had great success with their 4" & 4.25" guns. That's a mighty short barrel on that CS model you are looking at. Be prepared to have to do some significant load testing to ensure you get a smooth & reliable result. That can get pricey if you wind up with a picky gun. 3.6" is an oddball size and you may encounter issues getting replacement springs, where a 5" gun will be easy to find aftermarket springs for.

I have a 5" version, but in 10mm. They use the bull barrel (like in the CS model you are looking at) in that gun. I don't mind, as I have other bull-barreled 1911's. The takedown isn't quite as easy as the bushing barrel, but there are shortcut methods you'll learn.

Still.....for a first 1911, it's hard to not recommend getting the conventional bushing config.

As far as my 5" Rock. I've found the finish to be a good matte parkerized surface that arrived coated in preservative (guns are shipped over in a slow boat from China....or close....lots of preservative was a welcome sight). Full field strip right away and wiped down with Kroil soaked cloth. Left it out overnight and then wiped down again and reassembled adding a top-notch gun oil.

Break-in sessions have been very positive The gun is very accurate. It's fed 100% reliable with the three brands of factory ammo I've tried (two were ball, one was hp).

The fiber optic front sight is super. I'll be able to easily replace the rods when it wears out (breaks or solvent weakens). The rear adjustable sight has stayed on target. I'm not a big fan of adjustable rears...some folks love them. These, at least, are a low profile version. I'll be blacking out the rear white dots.

Trigger on my gun is to my liking. No complaints.

Slide (thumb) safety needs work. It is too easily defeated. For hunting, though....that may not be a bad thing as it's nice & quiet.

The beavertail grip safety offers almost zero resistance. This I don't care for. I'll be adjusting it after I get more rounds downrange and do a detailed disassembly.

Both of these items could likely be addressed right away by RIA/ARMSCOR customer service, but it's not an issue that I feel the need to involve the on.

The magwell used on this pistol is merely a clip-on model that slides into place with tabs that fit beneath the lower grip screws. It does it's job and is easily taken off if you'd like to run the gun without it.

To rail....or to not rail. To full rail or 3/4 rail. Many considerations.

For ccw I don't personally select railed guns. Just my preference. For home defense or other uses they shine. Pun intended. A weapon light on a nightstand gun is a welcome addition.

The weapon light is mighty useful when shooting on indoor ranges. Doesn't seem to matter what type of sights you have when shooting indoors. Unless the range is equipped with stellar lighting....you'll likely be like me and gripe about all the front sight styles. Flipping on a weapon light is a nice workaround.

the only drawback buying a 1911 is that you will want more 1911s
Dub is wise and CR is spot on!!