Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec Black Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore Sale
PBD9108L-1.jpg

Specs:
Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Robert28

You could not go wrong with this one at this price. Great pistols. Springers are one of the better ones, probably the best one for the money. And that is a great price.
I forgot they had this model now. I think it used to be called just a mil-spec or something like that. Now it’s the mil-spec defender. I had an older one in stainless that I really enjoyed, got it for a steal too.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I’m more of a classic, base 1911 type of guy. I know many others like bells and whistles and customization but that’s never appealed to me. I don’t even want Novak style sights on my 1911. With that said, there’s many models you can buy that comes loaded up that you won’t have to do a thing to ($$$) later down the road.

LittleDrummerBoy

My daughter was given a used Kimber full sized 1911 that was very well worn and visually only in fair condition. But it is a very accurate and reliable pistol.

Dub

I am hearing good things about the Springfield Armory Ronin.

There is a lot to like about it.

No ambi (suits me).

I prefer the black ledge rear & fiber optic front over the night sights my Loaded came with. My personal preference. Some folks would rather have night sights.

Sharp looking gun...no unsightly billboard stamping all over the side.

Grips look great to me. I'm guessing the grips alone will rack up big sales on the accessories area of their store.

Forged slide & frame.

Lifetime warranty.

Pricing should be reasonable as they begin rolling into stores.

the only drawback buying a 1911 is that you will want more 1911s

True dat.

I went for years only acknowledging the .45acp. Figured it was all I needed.

Shot a buddy's 9mm 5" Rang Officer and it was amazing. Smooth as silk. Had to have one.

Been wanting to get back into 10mm for the longest and the it was a natural move to try a 10mm 1911. Great shooting weapon. It'll be a great for hunting.

I forgot they had this model now. I think it used to be called just a mil-spec or something like that. Now it’s the mil-spec defender. I had an older one in stainless that I really enjoyed, got it for a steal too.

Yup.

I bought my MilSpec before I'd ever heard of the "Defender" series from SA. When I first heard someone discussing it, I thought they were talking about the Colt Defenders.

SA has done some oddball stuff with their names over the years. The new Ronin Operator. Prior to this anything with the "Operator" name was a railed gun.

Then this "Defender" name.

I'll say this, though.....had the SA Defender been out when I bought my MilSpec.....I'd have gone with the Defender version. The price is solid as is the gun. I prefer the clean looking smaller name stamping on the Defender slide than the larger stuff on my MilSpec:

He'll have to decide if he wants a beavertail grip safety or not. The front sight may be an issue, too. Harder to install front tenon-type sights without the staking tool.

If he knows he's going to want the beavertail or change sights then I'd spend the extra money and buy the Loaded, Range Officer or Ronin model.

If he's good to go with the tenon front standard grip safety, low profile thumb safety and shorter trigger....then I can vouch for the MilSpec or Defender MilSpec being a fine choice and an accurate shooter.

Had a plinking session with mine yesterday, in fact. Polished off a Diet Dew bottle and chucked downrange and let the 230gr ball scoot it around some.

drumbum77

Banned
When looking for a first 1911 there is a lot to consider....lots of options.

It seems that everyone is now making one.

All aren't equal. There are a lot of junk guns on the market from companies who just are trying to tap into the cash flow and there are companies that actually know how to make a good 1911 and they stand behind it.

I'd do some research on the customer service provided by each company. I'd also be concerned about the financial standing of the company in today's market. This COVID19 stuff is going to destroy many business and hinder entire industries. Even though gun sales have picked up....many manufacturers remain stuttered due to where their manufacturing occurs. Communist states and such.

There are lots of experienced customers out there who will proudly discuss their own encounters. Companies that have done well by their customers will stand out in your research.

Likewise the companies that have sucked in customer service will stand out, too.

There are also companies that jump on every stylistic bandwagon and promote their wares in slick looking magazine adds....unfortunately the beauty is only skin deep. They use ill-fitted internals the don't hold up under serious use.....but they look good and thusly people jump on their defensive fanhood endorsement.

Rock Island Armory is a company that has stood out in a positive way. Their slides and frames aren't forged, but they do seem to hold up to scrutiny under moderate usage. It's not a gun that many gunsmiths will accept as a base gun to more elaborate work on....but then again, nor is RIA charging high prices.

They offer a gun that works and they stand behind it.

Their guns seem (I've never tried) to accept standard aftermarket parts as the pin locations and such all line up. That may or may not be something that matters to you.

You seemed to have selected a gun with a beavertail grip safety. Well done. No hammer bite or other snags. No need for band aids after long range sessions. :rofl:

More importantly, you'll be able to take a very high grip on the weapon. This will greatly assist with accuracy, recoil mitigation and recovery from shot to shot. Don't go ruin this feature with stupid grips that don't allow you to take advantage of beavertails allowance for a high grip.

The gun you mentioned:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-cs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51470---TAC-Ultra-CS.jpg

Also take a look at the full-sized version, too:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-45-acp/

https://armscor.com/files/51485---TAC-Ultra-FS.jpg

The benefits of the 5" are using full capacity magazines (you can use full-sized mags in the CS model...they will simply protrude), longer grip, longer sight radius and a bushing-equipped barrel. Reliability is generally better in 5" guns....as a rule. There are some manufacturers that have had great success with their 4" & 4.25" guns. That's a mighty short barrel on that CS model you are looking at. Be prepared to have to do some significant load testing to ensure you get a smooth & reliable result. That can get pricey if you wind up with a picky gun. 3.6" is an oddball size and you may encounter issues getting replacement springs, where a 5" gun will be easy to find aftermarket springs for.

I have a 5" version, but in 10mm. They use the bull barrel (like in the CS model you are looking at) in that gun. I don't mind, as I have other bull-barreled 1911's. The takedown isn't quite as easy as the bushing barrel, but there are shortcut methods you'll learn.

Still.....for a first 1911, it's hard to not recommend getting the conventional bushing config.

As far as my 5" Rock. I've found the finish to be a good matte parkerized surface that arrived coated in preservative (guns are shipped over in a slow boat from China....or close....lots of preservative was a welcome sight). Full field strip right away and wiped down with Kroil soaked cloth. Left it out overnight and then wiped down again and reassembled adding a top-notch gun oil.

Break-in sessions have been very positive The gun is very accurate. It's fed 100% reliable with the three brands of factory ammo I've tried (two were ball, one was hp).

The fiber optic front sight is super. I'll be able to easily replace the rods when it wears out (breaks or solvent weakens). The rear adjustable sight has stayed on target. I'm not a big fan of adjustable rears...some folks love them. These, at least, are a low profile version. I'll be blacking out the rear white dots.

Trigger on my gun is to my liking. No complaints.

Slide (thumb) safety needs work. It is too easily defeated. For hunting, though....that may not be a bad thing as it's nice & quiet.

The beavertail grip safety offers almost zero resistance. This I don't care for. I'll be adjusting it after I get more rounds downrange and do a detailed disassembly.

Both of these items could likely be addressed right away by RIA/ARMSCOR customer service, but it's not an issue that I feel the need to involve the on.

The magwell used on this pistol is merely a clip-on model that slides into place with tabs that fit beneath the lower grip screws. It does it's job and is easily taken off if you'd like to run the gun without it.

To rail....or to not rail. To full rail or 3/4 rail. Many considerations.

For ccw I don't personally select railed guns. Just my preference. For home defense or other uses they shine. Pun intended. A weapon light on a nightstand gun is a welcome addition.

The weapon light is mighty useful when shooting on indoor ranges. Doesn't seem to matter what type of sights you have when shooting indoors. Unless the range is equipped with stellar lighting....you'll likely be like me and gripe about all the front sight styles. Flipping on a weapon light is a nice workaround.

Thank you so much Dub for taking time to write such informative post. I really appreciate the info!

Jester896

Senior Clown
the only drawback buying a 1911 is that you will want more 1911s

tell me about it...Dub just reminded me that I have a Loaded in a box somewhere...hope it is in a safe.

My Stainless RO in 9mm is I think the sweetest shooting pistol I own...9mm anyway.

I carried my Kimber Ultra Raptor until a good bit of finish rubbed off of the aluminum parts..It shoots great...might even need a spring kit...I'm sure it's overdue...still functions smooth tho

I have a Rock Island...it has some hang issues I haven't worked out yet...it shoots pretty good. I bought it with the intent to try my hand at checkering a front strap...have all the tools...just need the time...to many unfinished projects. The only real issues I have read anything about in them is a disconnector issue so I picked up a Wilson Combat to go back in it for reassembly...got a sear to go with it.

None of mine have the Mil-Spec sights...Novak on all but the RO and it is BoMar style

TL60

Lots of good input here for sure!
Started with a WWII issue IR ages ago and didn’t realize what I had...good shooting weapon when it was passed along to a collector friend.
Springfield mil spec for a couple of decades several thousand rounds, a couple of custom tweaks and never an issue. Awesome pistol,.....
Colt Commander most expensive pistol I ever bought , ex wife carried it for 20yrs...fine weapon never a misfire either.
Bought a Ruger a couple of months ago, Best 750 I think I have ever spent. Dismantle as soon as I got it home.. build quality was amazing. Shooting is a pleasure and first 5 rounds made a nice cloverleaf hole in my target. Next 3 were only 1”-1.5” outside of that! (15yrds standing) I’m not that good lol, pistol is best out of box I’ve ever seen even at twice the cost.
Dusting off the press ...Breaking out the dies and ordering powder again, really interested in what it likes best lol.

Good luck with whatever you choose... 45 years of 45s and still hooked on them..

Baroque Brass

Check out the Ruger 1911. I have the commander model. It has went bang every time I've pulled the trigger.
Totally agree! It’s the only 1911 style that I own but it has functioned flawlessly since day one. Great accuracy as well. My son in law bought a Kimber, it’s a little fancier esthetically and seemed to be a bit softer on recoil but that may have just been me. Not enough difference to justify the cost of the Kimber, in my opinion.

bighonkinjeep

Looks like this thread has been around a week or so so I may be late to comment. I have a few and may have learned a thing or two along the way. I wish someone had given me this advice long ago and I had payed attention." Just buy a Springfield Armory loaded model of your choice that has all the features you want and be done with it." Cant go wrong. You can spend a lot more to get the same accuracy and reliability, You can spend a lot more and get a lot less, You can also spend less and get less. My druthers are the SA 1911 STS loaded. IMO For a 1911 mechanically it doesn't get any better for any amount of money.

Geno67

I have never been bit by a 1911 despite firing a zillion rounds through them in the military and civilian world. Been bit by others but not that one. I have friends that bleed from it so I know it happens.

I've owned 6. The most accurate was a springfield loaded from the early 90s. Would hit a beer can at a hundred yards every time with just about any old ammo. Only upgrades were a bushing and checkered frontstrap.

I have heard good things from and about Rock Island. No worries with them at all.

Reactions: Dub

drumbum77

Banned
Okay so here it is guys...

I went with a Springfield RO. I swear it so gorgeous I'm afraid to touch it! ? What the best oil to use on a parkerized gun as this is my first. It's like a new car....that first scratch is gonna kill me!!! ?

Screenshot_20200514-184029_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200514-184055_Gallery.jpg