How Many Old Time Fisherman Had a Zebco 202 or 33 ?

Hillbilly stalker

First fishing reel I ever owned was a Zebco 202. My Cousin and I both bought one from a store in Florence SC back around 1960. The reel came with a rod packaged together on a thin piece of cardboard wrapped in clear plastic with line and practice plug. The old 202's caught quite a few fish for us. One day I hooked a pretty big Largemouth Bass and I guess that fish stripped the plastic gears in it because it worked no more after that...Then I graduated to a Zebco 33. It was a better reel and operated very smoothly...Finally I graduated to an open faced spinning reel which I liked better after I got used to them..Wish I had an old 202 just for a keep sake but I don't.. I still have a Zebco 33 hanging on the wall of my shop still on the rod it came with decades ago...Cheap reels to have some fishing fun with, thanks Zebco...If I remember correctly they made a 404 and a 808. Some of my friends used the 808 for years to catch Striped Bass in the Santee Cooper Lakes down in SC many years ago..
Let me check my box when I get home. I believe I have a 202 in there. If I do, its yours, I'll send it to you.

Redbow

Let me check my box when I get home. I believe I have a 202 in there. If I do, its yours, I'll send it to you.
Thanks Hillbilly stalker, I will be glad to pay the postage if you have one..

JonathanG2013

Yes reel grown up as a Zebco 33. Also used a 202 as well that my uncle had at his farm pond in west GA. Lost count of how many fish I have caught with those.

Oldstick

Have ya'll seen the antique reel and lure collection on display at the GoFish aquarium in Perry? I think a lot of stuff came from Charlie Elliot's collections among other folks. Very interesting and nostalgic to see.

zedex

Gator Bait
I had a 202 my grandfather got for me. He was a truck driver and picked up a lot of stuff along his routes.
That 202 saw a lot of action, even if it was just casting practice.

Redbow

Went out to my shop and looked in the attic, found a Daiwa reel, a Fenwick, and one of my old Quick reels made in West Germany in a box. I put the Fenwick and the Daiwa on spare rods that I had hanging around after cleaning and oiling them up. They seem to work fine. The Quick seems to work well also, I might put it back in use.. I don't know where the second Quick reel is too much junk in the attic to look thru everything and its hot up there...I think the other Quick had a broken gear in it but I hope I saved it for parts.. Bought both of the Quick reels in 1969 after I got back from Nam and out of the Army..

Redbow

Nothing wrong with that 5000...I have a 4000 I think it is, good reels..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have had several of both back in the day, I think I still have a rod with a 33 on it somewhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a 202 and one of these too.
types-of-fishing-reels-spincast-a.jpg
The first pole I ever fished with, and the first fish I caught was when I was about 3 using one of grandpa's Centurys. That was about all he would fish with, he had several. And he was one of the best fishermen I've ever known. He was the one that got me started on a lifelong pursuit.

Jeepnfish

My first outfit was a green 202 on a clear yellow fiberglas rod. Had a 33 for a while, wish I still did.
Found a new blue 202 and rod combo in the parking lot at work. I use it for nostalgia fishing. I ain't ashamed.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Started with a 33 and caught some big ole appaloosa’s on a 808. I’m an Ambassador 5500 man now, my boys use open face reels.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I had a couple 33's. I preferred the 404's for catfish. Moved up to a Mitchell 300.

I've preferred the spinning reels since then.

wvdawg

Staff member
Still have a 33 set up I use mainly for pond / lake bank fishing. Think I might still have a new one (never used) in the closet.

sinclair1

Still have my vintage 33 I used as a kid. Back then it had 33 etched in the cover that was twice as thick compared to the junk they sell today.
Still have one of the first st. Croix rods ever made in storage. 8053B6D7-8991-4373-A9C6-DB6C43BF9ABE.jpeg

Last edited:

Whitefeather

Management Material
Still got some 33 Classics on my spider rigging rods for crappie.
There was always such a distinct sound on the 202 when you’d cast and start to reel. A lot like that bait shop smell that is just unforgettable.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
caught a huge carp in the river once on a Zebco 404. Stripped that sucker out in about 2 seconds, but I still managed to get the fish to the shore