The Old Shoe Shine Man

Redbow

When I was growing up near the small town of Selma NC we had a shoe shine man who shined shoes for many people on the side walk just outside my cousin's barber shop. The shoe shine man was always there except on the days when it rained during the warm months that's how the old man made part of his living.

The old guy had a shoe shine stand with a seat on it you just stepped up and sit down on the seat and the old fellow went to work on your shoes. He applied shoe polish with his fingers being careful not to get any shoe polish on you pants leg or socks. The man had several polishing cloths that he used to shine your shoes. People used to gather around and watch the old guy as he worked his shining cloth. As he worked he made that cloth pop like a small firecracker while applying the trade that he knew best. Watching the old man quickly shine a pair of shoes and the popping of the shining cloth was entertaining for lots of folks back in the day.

The old fellow charged 25 cents to shine your shoes and when he was through your shoes had a shine on them that lasted for many days. I have seen the old guy many times when I was a boy sitting there on his shoe shine stand waiting for a customer which usually didn't take very long. Many of the people who were customers of my cousin's barber shop would come out after a haircut and hop up on the shoe shine stand for a quick shoe shine before going back to work or home.

Just about every small town and some big towns had a shoeshine man who shined shoes for the public on the sidewalk when I was growing up. The shoeshine man is a thing of the past now fading away as time moved on to a more modernized world. I have not seen a shoeshine man in any town in several decades. Every now and then when I was a boy a TV station would show a shoeshine man who was very popular with the public, some of the shoeshine guys would shout out as they worked they truly enjoyed their trade of shining shoes.

When they finished with the shine they would always say, twenty-five cents please and thank you Cap'n, and come back again soon. Just about every shoe shine man I ever saw was a man of color, I never saw but a couple of white men who shined shoes on the sidewalk of the towns when I was growing up.

Anyone else remember the shoeshine man in years past?

oldways

Yes sir before our barber shop closed there was a chair set up for shoe shining and when I was a young man I worked at the fire department and you kept your shoes shined that faded out before I retired but us old guys kept polish and rags in our locker. Something about a polish pair of shoes made you feel a little bit better. I haven’t seen that in a long while

specialk

i remember shining my own shoes, only sunday dress shoes. grandaddy made a shoe shine box out of wood with rags, brushes, and assorted polishes. we would get it out when needed and shine up our shoes to look good for church.....

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Yes sir before our barber shop closed there was a chair set up for shoe shining and when I was a young man I worked at the fire department and you kept your shoes shined that faded out before I retired but us old guys kept polish and rags in our locker. Something about a polish pair of shoes made you feel a little bit better. I haven’t seen that in a long while
Barber shop closed now, but Marvin's shoe service is still there. Don't know if they still have the shoe shining chair in the window, but they used to. shoe.jpg

BassRaider

When we first moved to ATL (late 60's) we lived across from Broadview Plaza and many of us of teens worked at Sweden House. Next door was Bennies Shoe Repair. A fellow named James was the shine man and always took care of us keeping our wejuns shined and our ROTC shoes spit shined. Bennies shop also repaired our shoes. It was a very small shop and the smell took a lot to get used to.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
When we first moved to ATL (late 60's) we lived across from Broadview Plaza and many of us of teens worked at Sweden House. Next door was Bennies Shoe Repair. A fellow named James was the shine man and always took care of us keeping our wejuns shined and our ROTC shoes spit shined. Bennies shop also repaired our shoes. It was a very small shop and the smell took a lot to get used to.

Yep. I bet you went to North Fulton too. :rockon:

Hillbilly stalker

That was back when men had a lot of dignity and took pride in their appearance. Seems not so much anymore. Ear rings, cartoonish tattoos, nose piercings man buns and all. Times change. You know that little spring in your step right after a new haircut ? I would imagine that just adds to it, make a fellow strut a little bit. Uncle Sam made all us MP’s a shoe shine boy when I was in. A grunt could get away with boots that looked like they were shined with a Hershey bar…….MP’s ? Lord no, ours had to look like glass every day. It didn’t matter if you scuffed them last night fighting a drunk, had to look like glass the next guard mount.

Redbow

That was back when men had a lot of dignity and took pride in their appearance. Seems not so much anymore. Ear rings, cartoonish tattoos, nose piercings man buns and all. Times change. You know that little spring in your step right after a new haircut ? I would imagine that just adds to it, make a fellow strut a little bit. Uncle Sam made all us MP’s a shoe shine boy when I was in. A grunt could get away with boots that looked like they were shined with a Hershey bar…….MP’s ? Lord no, ours had to look like glass every day. It didn’t matter if you scuffed them last night fighting a drunk, had to look like glass the next guard mount.
In basic training at Ft. Gordon we were made to keep our dress shoes spit shined and the toe area and the very back of our combat boots also.

We would sneak in liquid floor wax and spread that over the spit shine on our boots and shoes, but don't let the platoon Sergeant catch you doing that.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
i remember shining my own shoes, only sunday dress shoes. grandaddy made a shoe shine box out of wood with rags, brushes, and assorted polishes. we would get it out when needed and shine up our shoes to look good for church.....
H22 still has his. His is wood too and still full of all that stuff. I think it's in the shed now, but he used to use it.

specialk

sad when they closed, they had a store up past jimmy carter on the access rd off I-85, i bought shoes from both places....

Jim Baker

Staff member
We had a 4 chair barber shop. And the shoe shine man's name was Brisk. Every other Saturday or so me and my 2 brothers would walk to the barber shop four our "G.I." You had to get there early and get in line. Brisk would be at his post on the back wall buffing shoes with a rhythm and a pop.

Mr. Copeland always cut our hair and I let my brothers go first so I could read as much of the American rifleman, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life and on and on they always had out.

oldfella1962

We had a shoeshine shop on Fort Gordon quite a few years ago. Then the Army went from the old-style black leather boots that you had to shine, to
a tan soft suede style that you can't shine. Just like that they were gone. :(

boots.jpg